• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

Who had money on Detroit over Houston today?

"HOUSTON -- Justin Verlander pitched a two-hitter and lost, allowing homers to John Hicks and Ronny Rodriguez, and the Detroit Tigers beat the Houston Astros 2-1 on Wednesday night in a historic upset."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401076630

"The two times I gave in and gave them a fastball, they hit a homer on it," said Verlander, who has been critical of Major League Baseball for what he believes are intentional changes to the ball that have led to more home runs. "Baseball in 2019. I didn't go out of the stretch at all the entire game, and we lost. I don't know what else to say."

Get over it, dude. You don't leave the ball up in that ridiculous ballpark. Spinrate+ballpark+9th inning of work. No one to blame but yourself but then you blame baseball in 2019. Give me a break. Hell of a game. Sometimes your best isn't good enough.

Ron Swanson

I’d love to see the stats on Verlanders ratio of hits to home runs or runs to home runs given up this year.

It feels like 70% of his runs are via the long ball.

I’d be shocked if he isn’t putting up historic numbers on that front.

Ron Swanson

Interesting base running choice by Chirinos getting thrown out at third trying to stretch a double for the last out of the game, down by a run. And by interesting I mean idiotic.
It’s tough to get mad at him cause he was the only hitter who did ship all night (including hitting a homer for our only run) but yeah, that was a head-scratcher.

He was a triple shy of the cycle, so you gotta wonder if that played into it.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Lance Lynn had an odd stat line tonight, or at least it seemed odd to me. He gave up 11 hits but had 10 strikeouts. I wonder how many times that happens, where a pitcher has double digit strikeouts but allows double digit hits in the same game.

Pharm Frog

I’d love to see the stats on Verlanders ratio of hits to home runs or runs to home runs given up this year.

It feels like 70% of his runs are via the long ball.

I’d be shocked if he isn’t putting up historic numbers on that front.

Don't know current numbers but about a month ago, Verlander's HRs allowed/total runs allowed ratio was just over 58%. Kershaw holds the record for that for a full season and it was under 50%. So...Verlander was on a historic pace. Maybe still is. What I'm not sure about is the stat about runs scored via HR's and whether the denominator is earned runs or total runs allowed..