• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

jake102

I think that's bc the back of the building is 432' from the plate. That ball was melted. Easily would have been more than 432' if it could travel farther. Hell, it went over the catwalk at the top of the ceiling.

That's not how the measurement works. It's a formula, doesn't matter where it lands/what it hits first.

That being said - the measurement is often wrong.

FBallFan123

Yanks look incredible right now. Gun to my head, right now I’d probably pick them to represent the AL in the WS

Yankees look great, but I'd lean towards the Astros right now.

I think the gap in starting pitching is still significant.

Yankees will almost certainly add starting pitching...but I'll wait to see who they add before putting them above Houston.

Purp

Saw below that Skaggs article about the MLB HR record for a month being broken for a 2nd consecutive month. I can't help but think there's some new juice going around the league that tests haven't figured out how to catch yet. I'm forever jaded by the late 90s.

jake102

Saw below that Skaggs article about the MLB HR record for a month being broken for a 2nd consecutive month. I can't help but think there's some new juice going around the league that tests haven't figured out how to catch yet. I'm forever jaded by the late 90s.

Nah it's the same thing as basketball.... statistics has revealed that it's worth it to go big (homeruns/3 point shots) while trading off a lower rate of success (batting average/FG %). I think football will eventually find out the same thing is true..... not sure if it will be in going for it on 4th down in most situations or if it will be in a deeper passing game. Although football is so different due to the tiny number of plays compared to baseball and basketball.

Purp

Nah it's the same thing as basketball.... statistics has revealed that it's worth it to go big (homeruns/3 point shots) while trading off a lower rate of success (batting average/FG %). I think football will eventually find out the same thing is true..... not sure if it will be in going for it on 4th down in most situations or if it will be in a deeper passing game. Although football is so different due to the tiny number of plays compared to baseball and basketball.
I've considered that along with the recent and historically abrupt decline in bullpen efficacy. I'm sure all of those things play a role. But lining MLB rosters with 9 Dave Kingman's still wouldn't produce this many homers per month. And the balls are traveling so damned far too. Just feels like something else is going on here. I don't trust it.

Moose Stuff

And its making the game far less fun to watch IMO. Homers, walks, and strikeouts..... yay.

MTfrog5

Found dead in a Southlake hotel. Not sure why I just assumed the players hung around the ballpark and team hotel while in town (assuming the team hotel isn’t in Southlake).
A lot of teams stay at the hotel in Southlake Times Square. Just pitched two days ago. Angels have had some sad situations with pitchers

Eight

A lot of people would also say the NBA is less fun to watch due to the 3s and layups or nothing.

you forgot 8 guys and the fans standing around while one guy pounds the ball into the floor on isolation after isolation after isolation.

funny thing is golden state actually would go to the mid-range game when they needed a basket and the red sox last year did much more than hit home runs. sox worked counts, hit a [ Finebaum ] load of doubles, and i think were only 8 or 9th in the league in home runs.

MAcFroggy

A lot of it is actually related to the baseball itself. The athletic had a great article about it a week or so ago. An astrophysicist ran some tests on the ball (again) and there are major changes to the ball that have caused drastic increases again.

She was also on effectively wild last week talking about it.

https://theathletic.com/1044790/201...-years-baseballs-and-breaks-down-the-changes/

Ron Swanson

A lot of it is actually related to the baseball itself. The athletic had a great article about it a week or so ago. An astrophysicist ran some tests on the ball (again) and there are major changes to the ball that have caused drastic increases again.

She was also on effectively wild last week talking about it.

https://theathletic.com/1044790/201...-years-baseballs-and-breaks-down-the-changes/
Yeah I was watching a game the other day and one of the announcers was a former MLB pitcher (Sutcliffe or Smoltz maybe?). He always holds a baseball in his hand while he does a game and he just kept talking about how the ball is different than it was in his day. It just felt different to hold he kept saying.

Plus the analytics that Jake102 was talking about, and there you go... tons of dongs