• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Skip Jansen

Skip I’m interested in how you think we’re going to play this season? Are we going to play fast, somewhat fast or a more slower pace. How we attack teams on offense is going to be key in any success this team has.

You really want me to answer that, don't you?

Okay. I'm going to say "somewhat fast". As fast as I think they should? Probably not.

IMO, the roster construction suggests faster is better, but that's not really Jamie's philosophy so I guess we'll see.

To be an efficient half-court team you need 3 components-

1- A PG who can penetrate and draw the defense or

2- A post player that you can throw the ball into who commands a double team and puts the defense in rotation and

3- An 'end of the clock' scorer who can take his defender off the dribble and get a good shot when you are in 'scramble' mode

I don't see this roster consisting of those things. I see this as a team that needs to score in 'early offense' off of makes and push the ball in transition off of misses and steals.

This team has depth, but you have to play a style that gives you the advantage of having depth.

You can still play good defense and play fast, but Jamie is stubborn so....

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I may not be able post any more info after my 'style of play' comments. LOL! :):):)
I can say with a fair amount of accuracy that you know more than the rest of us dunderheads combined. If you say frogs are running the swinging gate, and only the swinging gate, all season - we should probably listen.

I can’t figure out the numbers but it seems they are trying to sign more guys than there will be room for new guys.

Farmfrog

Okay. I'm going to say "somewhat fast". As fast as I think they should? Probably not.

IMO, the roster construction suggests faster is better, but that's not really Jamie's philosophy so I guess we'll see.

2- A post player that you can throw the ball into who commands a double team and puts the defense in rotation and

3- An 'end of the clock' scorer who can take his defender off the dribble and get a good shot when you are in 'scramble' mode

I don't see this roster consisting of those things. I see this as a team that needs to score in 'early offense' off of makes and push the ball in transition off of misses and steals.

This team has depth, but you have to play a style that gives you the advantage of having depth.

That is probably the most honest answer I’ve seen on this board in some time. I can’t agree with you anymore about what we need to do. The real question is will Jamie allow us to play that way.

We are definitely lacking the three things you pointed out and how we deal with that is key to any success we have.

We know Jamie is smart and knows our limitations. Do we have an assistant that can talk to Jamie and get him to loosen the reins.

Skip Jansen

That is probably the most honest answer I’ve seen on this board in some time. I can’t agree with you anymore about what we need to do. The real question is will Jamie allow us to play that way.

We are definitely lacking the three things you pointed out and how we deal with that is key to any success we have.

We know Jamie is smart and knows our limitations. Do we have an assistant that can talk to Jamie and get him to loosen the reins.

I think Jamie listens to Ryan. He knows that Ryan is either responsible or partially responsible for all the players on the roster, so he knows the kind of players that he recruited.

Plus, Ryan has been offered several jobs, at schools, that would be considered better 'basketball' jobs. But, he turned them down because he knows they've got something good going at TCU.

Does that mean Jamie will change? He's had so much success that it's probably tough. But, the 2020 Big 12 is a different animal than the 2008 Big East. And he realizes that. Like you said, he's smart.

Francis Xav

This all depends on who is running point. I think Fuller would probably be most athletic of them all but idk what the situation looks like.

Francis Xav

I think Jamie listens to Ryan. He knows that Ryan is either responsible or partially responsible for all the players on the roster, so he knows the kind of players that he recruited.

Plus, Ryan has been offered several jobs, at schools, that would be considered better 'basketball' jobs. But, he turned them down because he knows they've got something good going at TCU.

Does that mean Jamie will change? He's had so much success that it's probably tough. But, the 2020 Big 12 is a different animal than the 2008 Big East. And he realizes that. Like you said, he's smart.
I was pleasantly surprised at the freedom the offense played with at most points last year. Love to see us get out on the break more because few teams can match the athleticism 1-5. Serious.

4th. down

Skip - would you take a best effort guess at who you think will be our top 6 at this point. Way too early, I know, but still, take a shot.

Skip Jansen

I hope we see Farabello, Fuller, Bane, Smith or Grayer and Samuel starting. Just my team but who knows who will start.

That's funny that you said that.

One of the coaches told me that your lineup (Bello, PJ, Desmond, Diante, and Kev) would be a lineup that we will see pretty frequently.

They will experiment with a lot of lineups early on but yours has the most upside.

Rose Bowl

That's funny that you said that.

One of the coaches told me that your lineup (Bello, PJ, Desmond, Diante, and Kev) would be a lineup that we will see pretty frequently.

They will experiment with a lot of lineups early on but yours has the most upside.

Every now and then a blind hog will find an acorn.

Rose Bowl

What have the coaches said about Pearson? Was talking with someone who said he’s going to be really good before he’s done here.

I personally hope that RJ gets a chance to show he can be a factor. Kid works hard and plays all out.

Skip Jansen

What have the coaches said about Pearson? Was talking with someone who said he’s going to be really good before he’s done here.

I personally hope that RJ gets a chance to show he can be a factor. Kid works hard and plays all out.

I should have put a Top 8. RJ is certainly going to be a big factor. He would probably be a starter if the season started today.

Pearson is going to be a good player. He'll get chance early on to show what he can do.