• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Rose Bowl

On the ball pressure has been our biggest defensive weakness. I’m hoping we can pressure on the perimeter and force ballhandlers toward Samuel or make them shoot midrange jumpers.

Skip Jansen

Are they playing Dennis at lead guard? How did Smith and Pearson play at the 4?

Thanks for posting the info, Skip.

Yes. Dennis is playing Lead/Point Guard.

Smith played okay for his first time out. Had a couple of baskets and shot several FTs. Also had a few offensive rebs. Grayer split time with Diante at the 4. He played okay too. Pearson didn't play very much but did score while he was in.

Eight

Is there a box score to look at for the game Skip? If not how did we shoot? Did we make FT’s? How was the rebounding?

the article from the fwst about the secret scrimmage provided some numbers on shooting and the frogs didn't exactly shoot well if those numbers were accurate.

roughly 43% from the floor and 30% from behind the 3-point line. i don't recall if the article provided any individual shooting numbers.

"As a team, the Frogs shot 43.1 percent from the field (25-of-58) and 30.8 percent from 3-point range (8-of-26)."

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article236148853.html

Portland Frog

My main concerns going into 2019-20 are twofold: health and FT shooting. If the frogs can stay healthy, rotate 10 scholarship players on a regular basis all season long, and shoot 70% as a team from the FT line, I will be a happy fan because more wins will come.

Rose Bowl

I wonder what our ceiling is on defense after the way we played in the scrimmage. What percentage did they shoot? Seems like the defense was active causing 17 turnovers with 8 steals and 4 blocks.

Skip Jansen

Love the info Skip.

Too early to tell prediction: how good do you think this team can be?

I think this year's team should be better than last year. I'm expecting them to struggle a little early (due to so many newcomers) but by the conference games, they should be pretty good.

It will take a little time to get the playing rotations settled and everyone to know their roles. As I've mentioned before, everybody should really like the Freshmen. Should be a fun year.

Eight

I wonder what our ceiling is on defense after the way we played in the scrimmage. What percentage did they shoot? Seems like the defense was active causing 17 turnovers with 8 steals and 4 blocks.

you know what they say rose bowl

tenor.gif

Skip Jansen

I would label the defensive effort as 'fair'. But that's expected out of a young team. Defense is by far the biggest adjustment freshmen have to make. H.S. defense and college defense is night and day. It takes awhile to learn all of the defensive coverages and assignments, not to mention trying to execute a game plan.

While there were 17 TOs, way too many fouls were committed (22). Most were mental errors (late on a 'help', bad rotations (help the helper), bad ball screen placement, bad footwork, etc.). That will get better. Might see this team play some zone in the non-conference portion of the schedule.

Skip Jansen

How good of a rebounding team do you think we end up being, Skip?

IMO, it's going to be a good rebounding team. I think the rebounds will be spread out though. All of the perimeter guys are good rebounders

This team has the potential to be an outstanding offensive rebounding team. The ability to spread the floor, anticipate shot locations and use their foot speed would allow this team some 'easy' baskets. Best time to get a step in 3 is off an offensive rebound.

That being said, you have to commit to it. Most coaches nowadays like to get everyone back so they don't give up anything 'easy' in transition.