• The KillerFrogs

2017 Coaching Carousel

Ron Swanson

Bowden built that program literally from nothing. He coached for 34 of the 70 total football seasons. He officially has 304 of the schools 536 win despite 2 fewer season.

His winning percentage of actual games won is greater than Jimbo's, but the NCAA voided 12 victories swings the percentage to Jimbo.

Prior to Bowden FSU NEVER was ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the year. Bowden's teams were ranked in the Top 10 14 straight seasons.

Yes, the program slipped under Bobby, but the very reason Jimbo can walk into any home in the country is because of what Bobby Bowden built. For Jimbo getting that head coaching job it was similar to buy a AB Distributorship. Some work needed to be done, but don't kid yourself that Jimbo had to build a damn thing and A&M has no where near the cache' that the FSU program did when Jimbo took over from Bowdne.

Yeah but the Aggie roster is loaded with talent and is every bit as good as what Jimbo took over at FSU.

Yeah, FSU had more recent success when he took over that program than A&M would if he went there, but he would hardly have a tough time recruiting there.

I hate A&M, but like it or not, they carry quite a bit of prestige in this state and he would be able to recruit like hell there.

Wexahu

I’ve always thought Florida State was one bad hire away from slipping back into college football mediocrity. That isn’t a blue blood program like some others.

W

Way of the Frog

Yeah but the Aggie roster is loaded with talent and is every bit as good as what Jimbo took over at FSU.

Yeah, FSU had more recent success when he took over that program than A&M would if he went there, but he would hardly have a tough time recruiting there.

I hate A&M, but like it or not, they carry quite a bit of prestige in this state and he would be able to recruit like hell there.

Yes, they have talent and yes he could recruit there, but he would also have to coach and despite consistently some of the best recruiting classes in the country the program has shown problems in putting together a decent offensive line and beating the best of the best.

That second part comes into play as until Saban retires he will have to face Nick every single season as well as the other programs in the SEC West.

Again, I didn't say Jimbo is a bad coach, but he took over a very good situation and there not a great number of coaches who have left one place and had the same level of success at their very next spot.

VA Froggie

How many here have heard of Mike Houston? He is the Head Coach at James Madison Univ and they won the National Championship for 1AA last year and they are undefeated again this year. He will be going somewhere.

Ron Swanson

Yes, they have talent and yes he could recruit there, but he would also have to coach and despite consistently some of the best recruiting classes in the country the program has shown problems in putting together a decent offensive line and beating the best of the best.

That second part comes into play as until Saban retires he will have to face Nick every single season as well as the other programs in the SEC West.

Again, I didn't say Jimbo is a bad coach, but he took over a very good situation and there not a great number of coaches who have left one place and had the same level of success at their very next spot.

He has to coach at FSU as well

W

Way of the Frog

He has to coach at FSU as well

Based upon a few results in the past few years that hasn't always been the case.

Way too much talent to suffer a few of the losses they have suffered. You are talking about a program that has had 5 Top 5 recruiting classes in the last 8 years and some ugly losses.

Getting beat by almost 40 by UO with a team including how many highly drafted players?

The beating by Louisville and they were physically beaten up by UH in that bowl game.

Their offensive line has been terrible for two years despite highly recruited talent and they have lost to Clemson for 3 straight years for the first time ever.

If Jimbo thinks he is underappreciated he damn well better be careful before he jumps.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
love how they use the Mayfield crotch grab pick for story

If you read the whole article, after he discusses the "who's still alive to make the CFP" by conference, he addresses the Mayfield issue. Says the crotch grab won't keep him from winning the Heisman.

He then raises the rhetorical question, "What if the crotch grabbing player was non-white?"

I think he just wanted to find a way to fit in his cute/crude hashtag joke: #whitedickgrabprivilege

asleep003

FSU has been an black hole/incubator for top talent.

Jimbo's 8 yr recruiting average(via Rivals) annually = 2.75 5*s and 11.75 4*s

Previous 8 yr recruiting average annually = 2.38 5*s and 11.38 4*s

Just don't see why he would go to A&M. LSU couldn't get his ear. If he was going to go to an SEC venue, an East Div offer would be more inviting, such as Tenn. or UF(except he may get murdered for going across the street to Florida).

So, if he is unhappy with the Fan's responses to one poor year, there are other jobs with a 2 year honeymoon period and great recruiting basis for him to entertain.

PO Frog

Bowden built that program literally from nothing. He coached for 34 of the 70 total football seasons. He officially has 304 of the schools 536 win despite 2 fewer season.

His winning percentage of actual games won is greater than Jimbo's, but the NCAA voided 12 victories swings the percentage to Jimbo.

Prior to Bowden FSU NEVER was ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the year. Bowden's teams were ranked in the Top 10 14 straight seasons.

Yes, the program slipped under Bobby, but the very reason Jimbo can walk into any home in the country is because of what Bobby Bowden built. For Jimbo getting that head coaching job it was similar to buy a AB Distributorship. Some work needed to be done, but don't kid yourself that Jimbo had to build a damn thing and A&M has no where near the cache' that the FSU program did when Jimbo took over from Bowdne.
I’m glad you’re a Bowden fan but that doesn’t refute anything I posted. And even if you give him the 12 vacated wins he got penalized for because he was a cheater, Jimbo still has a better winning percentage. And 36-27 in his last five years certainly doesn’t just scream at you that Bowden was still at the top of his game.

To make like Jimbo didn’t come in and drastically improve things immediately is a little bit of revisionist history. Talk up Bowden all you want since that had nothing to do with my post. But no need to diminish Fisher’s accomplishment while doing it. I admitted that it was an established program in my original post so I’m not sure what set you off. But Fisher certainly didn’t walk into a national title contender and just drive the bus the bus the next 8 years...

Moose Stuff

If you read the whole article, after he discusses the "who's still alive to make the CFP" by conference, he addresses the Mayfield issue. Says the crotch grab won't keep him from winning the Heisman.

He then raises the rhetorical question, "What if the crotch grabbing player was non-white?"

I think he just wanted to find a way to fit in his cute/crude hashtag joke: #whitedickgrabprivilege

That was a response to some other morons who injected race into the issue of Mayfield’s behavior and whether his being white is getting him a free pass.

W

Way of the Frog

Who is a Bowden fan and where did I say Bowden didn't stay too long or was doing a great job?

Nor did I say Fisher did a bad job. What I said was he took over the HC at an established program that could recruiting anywhere in the country.

He did with a NC, but since you wanted to make sure we all know Bobby is a cheater does Jimbo win that NC without Winston? So was keeping a playing guilty of sexual assault and then basically mocked the victim in public justified by winning the NC?

The NC is what seems to give him credibility to some and yet the circumstances seem to be forgotten.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

Liked for #whitedickgrabprivilege

PO Frog

Who is a Bowden fan and where did I say Bowden didn't stay too long or was doing a great job?

Nor did I say Fisher did a bad job. What I said was he took over the HC at an established program that could recruiting anywhere in the country.

He did with a NC, but since you wanted to make sure we all know Bobby is a cheater does Jimbo win that NC without Winston? So was keeping a playing guilty of sexual assault and then basically mocked the victim in public justified by winning the NC?

The NC is what seems to give him credibility to some and yet the circumstances seem to be forgotten.
The issue was whether Fisher was a good coach. He took over for Bowden and immediately had a better season than any of the previous 10. I’d say he must be a good coach. And I said he took over an established program, then you posted three paragraphs about Bobby Bowden being great.

And I don’t remember Winston being guilty of sexual assault. I remember him being accused and the state attorney saying there is no evidence to prosecute and that her story changed so often she wasn’t credible. And I don’t care if both coaches are cheaters. Jimbo did better with bowden’s players than Bowden did, so hard to say he wasn’t a good coach.

MTfrog5

It’s not like they aren’t already recruiting real well. And they aren’t in the Big 12 so I’m not sure it effects us much.
Exactly. A&M already recruits really well. In a way this may end up helping us with Texas recruits because you may see Jimbo recruit around Florida more than Sumlin. And not to bring race into it, but like Strong at Texas Sumlin is able to play the card of being part of the team that wins the national championship with a black coach for the first time.

W

Way of the Frog

The issue was whether Fisher was a good coach. He took over for Bowden and immediately had a better season than any of the previous 10. I’d say he must be a good coach. And I said he took over an established program, then you posted three paragraphs about Bobby Bowden being great.

And I don’t remember Winston being guilty of sexual assault. I remember him being accused and the state attorney saying there is no evidence to prosecute and that her story changed so often she wasn’t credible. And I don’t care if both coaches are cheaters. Jimbo did better with bowden’s players than Bowden did, so hard to say he wasn’t a good coach.

You sound like a Baylor regent when you talk about Winston and the sexual assault.

As far as doing better with Bowden and Bowden's players remember that Jimbo was on the staff that recruited those players for Bowden.

Finally, never said Jimbo was a bad coach. Only that I don't see him as a great coach. Feel he gets a great deal of credit for winning at a place that has averaged over 9 wins a year for 40 years.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
You only replied to this so you could post #white dick grabprivilege. If it weren't for getting a a chance to type #white dick grabprivilege you wouldn't respond at all.

I can certainly understand your opinion that I only replied so I could post #white dickgrab privilege. However, I can not confirm to you that the only reason I replied is so I could post #white dick grabprivilege. I can also not deny that the only reason I replied is so I could post #white dick grabprivilege. I guess what I'm saying is that posting #white dick grabprivilege may have played a factor in my posting or it could be for other reasons than posting #white dick grabprivilege.