• The KillerFrogs

2017-18 Men's Basketball Thread

TCUdirtbag

Some quick numbers:

Frogs sitting at 6-0 with a #23 AP ranking and #29 RPI despite a weak #142 SOS and no top 100 RPI Ws. Current top W is vs. #131 (RPI) South Dakota. That Omaha W is the weakest as they have an RPI of #301.

It is admittedly too early for RPI to mean much. But Belmont checks in at #94, Yale at 176, SMU at 178 and Nevada at *9*.

Belmont is 4-3 and on a recent 2-game said with a close road loss at Providence and home loss to Lipscomb. Belmont defeated January Frog opponent Vanderbilt a couple weeks back. This will likely be our toughest test thus far to open the tough pre-break stretch of the OOC calendar.

Yale (Saturday) is 3-4 and I don’t know what to make of them. Wisconsin and Creighton blew the Bulldogs out to open the season.

SMU has an underwhelming RPI, but the Mustangs have been inconsistent. The lost to Northern Iowa and Western Kentucky last week but beat a very talented Arizona team. The Mustangs are dangerous and that game will be Big for TCU in March and on the DFW recruiting trail.

Nevada is 6-0 with 1 top 50 RPI W and the rest similar RPI 100+ Ws to TCU’s. Other than a 7-point win over #8 RPI Rhode Island (3-2), Nevada has had double digit wins in every game. This will be a big game in LA if the Frogs can manage no more than 1 loss in the next 3. Nevada travels to Lubbock immediately before our game in LA.

After Nevada, the Frogs should coast through the last couple games nonconference play — Texas Southern and William & Mary.

TCUdirtbag

Again, too early to mean much, but when your non-conference schedule is “meh”, it is important to win. The Frogs have so far and that Belmont win popped our RPI up 18 spots to #10. Not a bad spot to be.

Other RPIs include #1 A&M (6-0), #3 Duke (9-0), #5 Kansas (6-0), #8 Nevada (7-0), #20 Iowa St (4-2), #27 WVU (6-1), #39 Texas Tech (6-0), #59 Baylor (5-1), #79 Belmont (4-4), #80 Tennessee Tech, #93 Texas Southern (0-6), #112 Texas (5-2), #116 OU (4-1), #127 Vandy (3-4), #138 Oklahoma State (6-1). #141 New Mexico (2-4), #143 South Dakota (4-2), #145 Kansas State (6-1), #146 SMU (6-2), #152 St. Bonaventure (4-2), #172 W&M (3-2), #174 Yale (4-4), #230 ULM (2-3), #250 Omaha (1-7).

This early, every W/L has a big impact. So true 1.00 in the win % column is really keeping us up. Frogs should beat Yale, but a loss to SMU would drop that number from 1.00 to .888, and the RPI tank would take quite a hit.

Bottom line is it’s too early for RPI to mean much. But the frogs need to win as many OOC games as possible. Then .500 or even 8-10 in league play could get us in the tournament.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Again, too early to mean much, but when your non-conference schedule is “meh”, it is important to win. The Frogs have so far and that Belmont win popped our RPI up 18 spots to #10. Not a bad spot to be.

Other RPIs include #1 A&M (6-0), #3 Duke (9-0), #5 Kansas (6-0), #8 Nevada (7-0), #20 Iowa St (4-2), #27 WVU (6-1), #39 Texas Tech (6-0), #59 Baylor (5-1), #79 Belmont (4-4), #80 Tennessee Tech, #93 Texas Southern (0-6), #112 Texas (5-2), #116 OU (4-1), #127 Vandy (3-4), #138 Oklahoma State (6-1). #141 New Mexico (2-4), #143 South Dakota (4-2), #145 Kansas State (6-1), #146 SMU (6-2), #152 St. Bonaventure (4-2), #172 W&M (3-2), #174 Yale (4-4), #230 ULM (2-3), #250 Omaha (1-7).

This early, every W/L has a big impact. So true 1.00 in the win % column is really keeping us up. Frogs should beat Yale, but a loss to SMU would drop that number from 1.00 to .888, and the RPI tank would take quite a hit.

Bottom line is it’s too early for RPI to mean much. But the frogs need to win as many OOC games as possible. Then .500 or even 8-10 in league play could get us in the tournament.
Interesting stuff, thank you... I think this team is better than .500 in conference.

LisaLT

Its been fun watching this team so far. I see that they will be playing at the Staples Center in LA next weekend. I'm thinking of attending that game. I was a bit bummed to see the game time - 10pm!!! I know there are two other games prior to TCU, but they should've started the whole series earlier so TCU wouldn't have to play that late.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
One thing that has impressed me is that it's nearly a new hero every night. Bane goes off one day, Vlad a couple in the next week, then KWill another day. Makes it really hard to shut us down.

I'm surprised the defense is brought up as a specific area to improve. I get continuous incremental improvement, but I thought to this point it's been pretty good. Teams with weird schemes like Belmont, or fire-ass shooters like the kid from USD, get open shots. But I think we play solid D most days and a lot of times it triggers great offensive opportunities.

I saw a body language thing last night, maybe - or maybe was lost in translation. I hope Olden doesn't get discouraged. I know it's hard to adjust into a new scheme and squad, especially when major role players have been there for multiple years and long stretches of PT can be hard to get. But Shawn - keep your head up. You're putting in the effort. We WILL need you to go off a few times this year.

jake102

One thing that has impressed me is that it's nearly a new hero every night. Bane goes off one day, Vlad a couple in the next week, then KWill another day. Makes it really hard to shut us down.

I'm surprised the defense is brought up as a specific area to improve. I get continuous incremental improvement, but I thought to this point it's been pretty good. Teams with weird schemes like Belmont, or fire-ass shooters like the kid from USD, get open shots. But I think we play solid D most days and a lot of times it triggers great offensive opportunities.

I saw a body language thing last night, maybe - or maybe was lost in translation. I hope Olden doesn't get discouraged. I know it's hard to adjust into a new scheme and squad, especially when major role players have been there for multiple years and long stretches of PT can be hard to get. But Shawn - keep your head up. You're putting in the effort. We WILL need you to go off a few times this year.

We are dead last in the conference in FG % defense. And that's with Belmont missing a thousand wide open looks last night.

I noticed a little bit of body language with another, much bigger piece also. Likely nothing but a bit odd.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
We are dead last in the conference in FG % defense. And that's with Belmont missing a thousand wide open looks last night.

I noticed a little bit of body language with another, much bigger piece also. Likely nothing but a bit odd.
Huh... that fg% number surprises me. I guess we're looking a little like the 09 Saints - a lot of give, but very opportunistic.

Is that a piece of the puzzle that wears an extremely low number, and handles the ball a lot?

I saw it too, almost got a read of illness from that, like a cold or flu...

Big Frog II

This team can be really good, but they must be more consistent on defense. Sometimes our defense is lights out, other times we look confused. Better figure out how to go 40 minutes since our schedule is going to be stronger from here on out.