• The KillerFrogs

2016 Valero Alamo Bowl Ranks As #4 Most-Watched Game In Bowl's 23 Year History

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – The national television broadcast of the 2016 Valero Alamo Bowl between #15 Oregon and #11 TCU earned a 4.4 overall rating which is the 7th best rating in the Valero Alamo Bowl’s 23 year history and a 29% increase over last year’s rating.

In addition to the sold-out crowd of 64,569 that watched from the Alamodome, another 7.4 million viewers watched the ESPN broadcast. This total is the fourth highest mark in Valero Alamo Bowl History trailing only the Michigan State vs. Texas Tech (1/2/2010), Texas vs. Iowa (12/30/2006) and Oregon vs. Texas (12/30/2013) games, respectively.

TCU won the game 47-41 in triple overtime after trailing Oregon by a Valero Alamo Bowl record setting and NCAA Bowl record tying 31 points. 

It was the 8th time in the last 10 Valero Alamo Bowls the game’s final result was undecided until the final minutes and the third overtime game in bowl history.

The 2016 Valero Alamo Bowl was the second of the six-year agreement to match up the #1 teams from the Big 12 and Pac-12 conferences after the College Football Playoff. This new arrangement has now delivered the Valero Alamo Bowl its first two Top 15 match-ups of all-time (#14 UCLA beat #11 Kansas State 40-35 last year).

Dogfrog

Was it the 4th best AB rating ever or the 7th best AB rating ever? The article says both does it not? Agree that the first half fiasco had to hurt the overall rating.

TxFrog1999

Dogfrog said:
Was it the 4th best AB rating ever or the 7th best AB rating ever? The article says both does it not? Agree that the first half fiasco had to hurt the overall rating.

The TV rating was the 7th best, but if you account for eyeballs it was the 4th most watched Alamo Bowl in its history.

Statistics are fun.

Dogfrog

TxFrog1999 said:

The TV rating was the 7th best, but if you account for eyeballs it was the 4th most watched Alamo Bowl in its history.

Statistics are fun.
Sorry I'm a little slow. Both reference TV rating. Eyeballs?

Zubaz

Dogfrog said:
Ratings are percentage of households watching, and more people have television sets now than before. So a 4.0 rating in, say, 1998 would be less "eyeballs" than a 4.0 in 2015, because 4% of 100 million is a lower number than 4% of 140 million. Not actual numbers, but you get my point.

EdKamen

So much of ratings depend on what's on the other channels.

A couple of times there were multiple games on at the same time.

But there's no question the Frogs play well on TV. Pretty much always have under GP.

TxFrog1999

Dogfrog said:

No need to apologize, the ratings system is screwy which is why I was making fun of statistics. Todd's post explains it well, the rating is a percentage, so as that pie grows so do the number of eyeballs for a particular percentage. A 4.0 share today accounts for more eyeballs than a 4.0 share 10 years ago.

Virginia Frog

Todd D. said:
They were up this year. Let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is, 5.1 million up to 5.6 million.
Because this year NYDay formed a contiguous Fri-Sun weekend - the most recent NYE day was more of a take-leave day for many around the country (so one could have a 4-day weekend.) I believe there were more eyeballs "available" in 2015 vs. 2014 when NYE day was a Wednesday - not a good take-off-from work day (and that Friday, Jan 2 last year was more of a take-off day - in order to get a 4-day weekend.)

This calendar factor alone could account for the difference for TV ratings of the Peach Bowl in '14 & '15.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
I seem to recall that someone posted on a ratings difference by quarter. Is the 4.4 the game average (hence the "overall" tag)? And what were the 3Q and 4Q ratings?

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Virginia Frog said:
Because this year NYDay formed a contiguous Fri-Sun weekend - the most recent NYE day was more of a take-leave day for many around the country (so one could have a 4-day weekend.) I believe there were more eyeballs "available" in 2015 vs. 2014 when NYE day was a Wednesday - not a good take-off-from work day (and that Friday, Jan 2 last year was more of a take-off day - in order to get a 4-day weekend.)

This calendar factor alone could account for the difference for TV ratings of the Peach Bowl in '14 & '15.
In addition, except for us TCU fans, the Jan 1 15 PB was a terribly boring game. No one likes a complete beat down, except for the victor's partisans. The Dec. 31 15 PB was a better game.

SwissArmyFrog

Wow,...I didn't know the Alamo Bowl had been around that long.

When was the last time we played in a dome, Alamo and Peach (and maybe Fiesta?) Bowls aside? Let's see, there was the Texas Bowl vs. ISU...and wasn't the Bowl vs. aTm in a dome?

We played Tulane in the Superdome with Tye Gunn at QB...and vs. Houston in the SWC.

What were some others?

Virginia Frog

SwissArmyFrog said:
Wow,...I didn't know the Alamo Bowl had been around that long.

When was the last time we played in a dome, Alamo and Peach (and maybe Fiesta?) Bowls aside? Let's see, there was the Texas Bowl vs. ISU...and wasn't the Bowl vs. aTm in a dome?

We played Tulane in the Superdome with Tye Gunn at QB...and vs. Houston in the SWC.

What were some others?
Jerry's World (AT&T) Oregon St '10, BYU '12, LSU '13,