• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

MAcFroggy

The more I read, the more I think pac 12, acc, and big 10 are not going to add any teams for the time being.

I think big 12 will add byu and cincy to get back to 10. From there we will decide if we want to get to 12,14, or 16 and add the next best teams to get to that number (ucf, Houston, Boise, etc)

TCUdirtbag

My best guess as to what ends up happening after talking to people at several schools and offering a little bit of my own opinion…..

WV to ACC
4 Big 12 schools to PAC
If Big 10 does nothing we’re screwed
If Big 10 adds OK St we get into PAC
Baylor is scheissed in every scenario

I think this is probably right. But I don’t think there’s any real chance OSU is going to the B1G.

We really need the B1G to grab KU and Iowa State. I think those odds are small. That puts pressure on the PAC to go to 16 “like everyone else” and makes us the best remaining option with OSU, TTU, and KSU.

TCUdirtbag

So it's looking like TCU will have to Briles themselves out to the highest G5 bidder. Fun. Well I'd rather play in the Fun Belt. If we got to play rec league sports, I'd rather it be fun to watch.
No doubt. Its probably the only G5 spot we could negotiate at close to a 10M payout.
Mostly speculation on my part but my next door neighbor is the AD at the University of Tulsa and he's well connected and he told me straight up that the league is in the process of putting a pitch together for TCU.

Of course the AAC is going to pitch TCU. Just like TCU is going to try and pitch each of the power 4.

Just liken there’s no huge incentive for the PAC to be in a big hurry, there’s no huge incentive for TCU to be in a big hurry to consider G5 pitches. Clearly the American would be the best choice among current G5s. But I suspect the best non-P4 path is for the Big 12 remnants to backfill with their choice of American/other G5 schools. Remember, the American is just the Big East with a new name. They slowly added new teams as the Big East slowly fell apart once or two pieces at a time, then agreed to transfer the name for some cash consideration.
That slow-backfilling as the league slowly falls apart is probably the same thing that happens here if the ACC, B1G, and PAC don’t destroy the Big 12 all at once.

Froggish

The more I read, the more I think pac 12, acc, and big 10 are not going to add any teams for the time being.

I think big 12 will add byu and cincy to get back to 10. From there we will decide if we want to get to 12,14, or 16 and add the next best teams to get to that number (ucf, Houston, Boise, etc)
PAC really needs to add while they can...I'd wager quite a lot that the B12 doesn't last past 2023

Froggish

Of course the AAC is going to pitch TCU. Just like TCU is going to try and pitch each of the power 4.

Just liken there’s no huge incentive for the PAC to be in a big hurry, there’s no huge incentive for TCU to be in a big hurry to consider G5 pitches. Clearly the American would be the best choice among current G5s. But I suspect the best non-P4 path is for the Big 12 remnants to backfill with their choice of American/other G5 schools. Remember, the American is just the Big East with a new name. That’s probably the same thing that happens here if the ACC, B1G, and PAC don’t destroy the Big 12 all at once.

The other part of that conversation is he also said OKSt has been repeatedly told NO by the BIG. That's where the speculative nail in TCUs coffin that Moose is referring to is coming from.

Also you are absolutely right. TCU might as well be the last one out the door if a G5 is it's only option.

Paul in uhh

If the pac/others don’t grab us the next best move is to raid the AAC. Folding the b12 is much worse than watering it down IMO, especially if you can find teams who will actually be competitive.

jake102

The other part of that conversation is he also said OKSt has been repeatedly told NO by the BIG. That's where the speculative nail in TCUs coffin that Moose is referring to is coming from.

Also you are absolutely right. TCU might as well be the last one out the door if a G5 is it's only option.

OK State was never going to the Big10. B10 will add KU and Iowa State/KState or something out of left field. And that's only if they decide to expand.... they very well might not.

MagicFrog

How do we know they've actually been told no? Honestly I was surprised to hear the talk about them going there, but other than the rumored talk I haven't heard anything more about it. If they get told no it definitely doesn't do us any favors but it's not the end of the world.

Bob Sugar

How do we know they've actually been told no? Honestly I was surprised to hear the talk about them going there, but other than the rumored talk I haven't heard anything more about it. If they get told no it definitely doesn't do us any favors but it's not the end of the world.
Imagine the angst in Norman if this happens and Ok St is more successful in 7 or so years than OU.

MAcFroggy

I actually got really scheissing incredible seats this year. Better than I could have anticipated or expected. Seats I don't intend to ever give up. I worked hard at the priority point game to get this opportunity. Now it all feels like it was a waste.

Won't you still have the seats? Were you buying the seats to watch TCU football or Oklahoma football?

HG73

another good one:

E7WzLLRX0AQ1lXt
Post of the year.

Wexahu

I actually got really scheissing incredible seats this year. Better than I could have anticipated or expected. Seats I don't intend to ever give up. I worked hard at the priority point game to get this opportunity. Now it all feels like it was a waste.

It was pretty much a waste, that's why it feels like that.

I've been hesitant to post any "here's what I think is going to happen" to TCU thoughts because there are so many variables and this stuff is moving day by day... And, most importantly, there are known-unknowns across all the major conferences, media networks, and the CFP that could reset the board.

To add to how Moose is feeling at this point (which I mostly find plausible and is in the meaty part of the outcome range at this time), the last time I got any feedback from a TCU Trustee on things (past 24 hours or so) they were feeling like:

- Starting to feel like most likely "nothing" happens, in that the BIG decides to stay put and the PAC realizes adding is also subtracting in $$ terms and thus they should stay still. Maybe a PAC/BIG partnership, but that is still hard to see come together. If the ACC gets the ND deal done, that's an example of a variable that changes the board again. Of course, one could argue this would all be temporary and another round of realignment/breakaway conference could come down the road, and this is true, but incrementally is often the preferred mode for the folks calling the shots in these things.

- KU/IoSt to the BIG is "on the back burner" for now and both schools have told the league that they are 100% pro-Big 8 going forward... That could change, but I doubt it. To Mosse's point, I personally don't think OkSt is heading to the BIG, for a few reasons, but maybe there is an angle I'm not considering.

- The AAC "pitches" have been happening, but the Big 8 are pretty clear that should nothing happen, the Big 8 is in the better seat by far and will go and poach the best of the rest. Names being studied, as you know: Cinci, UCF, Houston, Tulane, BYU, SMU, Boise, etc. etc... Again, far off from actually happening, but in the event nothing happens, the "Big 12" will likely survive in a new form vs. the AAC.

- Also, if you were wondering, I asked, "Will TCU stay as committed to athletics as they have been? Will the university subsidize the lost revenue to keep things at the current level?" The answer was a YES for the 3 big sports, but there could be downstream effects on other sports (probably men's sports). All TBD of course, but it sounds like the idea is to, in the "nothing happens" situation, become the #1 non-power 4 school and dominate competitively wherever we can. It's an old playbook, but we know how to run it.

Things to watch that change all this:

- SEC keeps going to 18 or 20 (or more, breakaway league)
- ACC adds ND, WVU, or maybe tries for something more "visionary" and expansive (I doubt it)
- BIG goes for something... PAC raid, PAC partnership, maybe an ACC raid? I doubt it, they are in a good spot
- PAC expansion of some kind or sort

HFrog12

I will still be a fan, will still go to games, but would be done with season tickets and parking at current prices. Perceived value just not there. Certainly for September 100 degree games.

I will most certainly give up parking. Will probably give up extras I keep for friends and family. And potentially give up the new clubs I bought and not finish out the donation. Unless they cut a deal with ticket holders, which they won’t, then the value proposition just isn’t what we signed up for by playing Memphis, Temple, Tulane, UH, and SMU. I realize the school doesn’t control a lot of this but this is the sad unfortunate reality. Landing in the PAC/P5(4) is crucial.