• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

HG73

I've been hesitant to post any "here's what I think is going to happen" to TCU thoughts because there are so many variables and this stuff is moving day by day... And, most importantly, there are known-unknowns across all the major conferences, media networks, and the CFP that could reset the board.

To add to how Moose is feeling at this point (which I mostly find plausible and is in the meaty part of the outcome range at this time), the last time I got any feedback from a TCU Trustee on things (past 24 hours or so) they were feeling like:

- Starting to feel like most likely "nothing" happens, in that the BIG decides to stay put and the PAC realizes adding is also subtracting in $$ terms and thus they should stay still. Maybe a PAC/BIG partnership, but that is still hard to see come together. If the ACC gets the ND deal done, that's an example of a variable that changes the board again. Of course, one could argue this would all be temporary and another round of realignment/breakaway conference could come down the road, and this is true, but incrementally is often the preferred mode for the folks calling the shots in these things.

- KU/IoSt to the BIG is "on the back burner" for now and both schools have told the league that they are 100% pro-Big 8 going forward... That could change, but I doubt it. To Mosse's point, I personally don't think OkSt is heading to the BIG, for a few reasons, but maybe there is an angle I'm not considering.

- The AAC "pitches" have been happening, but the Big 8 are pretty clear that should nothing happen, the Big 8 is in the better seat by far and will go and poach the best of the rest. Names being studied, as you know: Cinci, UCF, Houston, Tulane, BYU, SMU, Boise, etc. etc... Again, far off from actually happening, but in the event nothing happens, the "Big 12" will likely survive in a new form vs. the AAC.

- Also, if you were wondering, I asked, "Will TCU stay as committed to athletics as they have been? Will the university subsidize the lost revenue to keep things at the current level?" The answer was a YES for the 3 big sports, but there could be downstream effects on other sports (probably men's sports). All TBD of course, but it sounds like the idea is to, in the "nothing happens" situation, become the #1 non-power 4 school and dominate competitively wherever we can. It's an old playbook, but we know how to run it.

Things to watch that change all this:

- SEC keeps going to 18 or 20 (or more, breakaway league)
- ACC adds ND, WVU, or maybe tries for something more "visionary" and expansive (I doubt it)
- BIG goes for something... PAC raid, PAC partnership, maybe an ACC raid? I doubt it, they are in a good spot
- PAC expansion of some kind or sort
Thanks and please keep us in the loop.

Eight

I've been hesitant to post any "here's what I think is going to happen" to TCU thoughts because there are so many variables and this stuff is moving day by day... And, most importantly, there are known-unknowns across all the major conferences, media networks, and the CFP that could reset the board.

To add to how Moose is feeling at this point (which I mostly find plausible and is in the meaty part of the outcome range at this time), the last time I got any feedback from a TCU Trustee on things (past 24 hours or so) they were feeling like:

- Starting to feel like most likely "nothing" happens, in that the BIG decides to stay put and the PAC realizes adding is also subtracting in $$ terms and thus they should stay still. Maybe a PAC/BIG partnership, but that is still hard to see come together. If the ACC gets the ND deal done, that's an example of a variable that changes the board again. Of course, one could argue this would all be temporary and another round of realignment/breakaway conference could come down the road, and this is true, but incrementally is often the preferred mode for the folks calling the shots in these things.

- KU/IoSt to the BIG is "on the back burner" for now and both schools have told the league that they are 100% pro-Big 8 going forward... That could change, but I doubt it. To Mosse's point, I personally don't think OkSt is heading to the BIG, for a few reasons, but maybe there is an angle I'm not considering.

- The AAC "pitches" have been happening, but the Big 8 are pretty clear that should nothing happen, the Big 8 is in the better seat by far and will go and poach the best of the rest. Names being studied, as you know: Cinci, UCF, Houston, Tulane, BYU, SMU, Boise, etc. etc... Again, far off from actually happening, but in the event nothing happens, the "Big 12" will likely survive in a new form vs. the AAC.

- Also, if you were wondering, I asked, "Will TCU stay as committed to athletics as they have been? Will the university subsidize the lost revenue to keep things at the current level?" The answer was a YES for the 3 big sports, but there could be downstream effects on other sports (probably men's sports). All TBD of course, but it sounds like the idea is to, in the "nothing happens" situation, become the #1 non-power 4 school and dominate competitively wherever we can. It's an old playbook, but we know how to run it.

- ACC adds ND, WVU, or maybe tries for something more "visionary" and expansive (I doubt it)
- BIG goes for something... PAC raid, PAC partnership, maybe an ACC raid? I doubt it, they are in a good spot

one thought on the downstream effects of the others sports, the frogs really don't have that many sports that they sponsor and when you truly look at them they aren't expensive per say.

would seem that the one sport would have a huge spotlight shown on it would be men's basketball. frogs quite frankly can't pay what they are paying dixon and his staff and not getting into the tournament to generate some type of revenue.

his contract is up after 2024 and i can't imagine keeping him at his current rate if we are dealing with reduced revenues.

MAcFroggy

This is what I have been saying. There is no reason for those conferences to expand for the sake of expansion. We will add some of the best teams you mentioned and go from there. We either become a very distant last place "power" conference or the elite of the lower tier conference. With our official "autonomy" designation, I think we will be head and shoulders above what will remain of the MWC, AAC, Sun belt, etc, but in terms of money we will not be in the same ball park as the other power conferences.

For the past 20 or so years, like most of you, my Saturdays in the Fall have been centered around TCU football, and really, college football in general. Even when we were working our way up in the WAC and C-USA, there was always hope. First, it was hope that we could achieve credibility/recognition by beating the then BCS programs and finishing ranked. Then there was the hope that we could bust the BCS bowl barrier. Then there was hope we could work our way into a BCS conference.

We succeeded on every front, and it was one hell of a ride.

If this path ends up with 32 teams (or even with the 56 teams now set to be in the SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC12) separated from the rest by $30 million+ in additional revenue from TV contracts and an out-of-control NIL issue, I won't be spending my Saturdays in the Fall watching college football any more. I hate to sound defeatist, but there won't be much to hope for.

I guess my biggest hope right now is that Gary gets mad first, and then he sets his mind on getting even and gives us one last ride to glory this year with a playoff appearance. There's no coach in football I'd trust more right now to work his magic in this current climate where we are once again the ones with a chip on our shoulders.

Eight

For the past 20 or so years, like most of you, my Saturdays in the Fall have been centered around TCU football, and really, college football in general. Even when we were working our way up in the WAC and C-USA, there was always hope. First, it was hope that we could achieve credibility/recognition by beating the then BCS programs and finishing ranked. Then there was the hope that we could bust the BCS bowl barrier. Then there was hope we could work our way into a BCS conference.

We succeeded on every front, and it was one hell of a ride.

If this path ends up with 32 teams (or even with the 56 teams now set to be in the SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC12) separated from the rest by $30 million+ in additional revenue TV contracts and an out-of-control NIL issue, I won't be spending my Saturdays in the Fall watching college football any more. I hate to sound defeatist, but there won't be much to hope for.

I guess my biggest hope right now is that Gary gets mad first, and then he sets his mind on getting even and gives us one last ride to glory this year with a playoff appearance. There's no coach in football I'd trust more right now to work his magic in this current climate where we are once again the ones with a chip on our shoulders.

would love to see the frogs beat the absolute [ Finebaum ] out of cal and texas and beat ou somehow

would love to see the frogs playing for a conference title

no matter what, if we are going down go like butch and sundance, on your own terms taking as many of the sobs with you as you can

Eight

If nothing else happens and the Big 8 remain together. Should we add no one, 2 more, or 4 more. Who would they be?

if we are adding on am for adding two so we don't dilute the contract and 12 makes for some scheduling issues

add cincy and i guess houston or ucf. scheiss byu, i know gsr will say they bring eyeballs but scheiss byu and scheiss texas

no on smu, no more than one texas school and i really don't want a fourth texas school so i guess cincy and ucf. gives two schools "closer" to wvu

Froggish

Rough

CountryFrog

Eight is likely not an option, got to have 10 minimum.
Has to be 10 due to the contract and unless there's something I don't know (which is obviously impossible) I can't imagine there's much incentive to go beyond that.

I'd think UCF would almost have to be the first choice for many reasons. Then as much as many may hate it I think you go BYU because we desperately need the eyeballs that their fanbase brings. If not BYU then take your pick between Cincy or Memphis.

Adding another Texas school wouldn't seem to make any sense at all.

HG73

Has to be 10 due to the contract and unless there's something I don't know (which is obviously impossible) I can't imagine there's much incentive to go beyond that.

I'd think UCF would almost have to be the first choice for many reasons. Then as much as many may hate it I think you go BYU because we desperately need the eyeballs that their fanbase brings. If not BYU then take your pick between Cincy or Memphis.

Adding another Texas school wouldn't seem to make any sense at all.
NO BYU.