• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

HG73

Just as many people watch TCU as watch Tech. Much better academics, location and facilities.
PAC doesn't have to expand, but if they want in the ctz we and ISU are the best options.
If the PAC doesn't offer us then the 8 leftovers should offer a service academy. Or all three service academies. Think of all the "alumni" they have. Should be a TV windfall. 11 teams, no divisions, 8 conference games with a CCG with the two best records.
And ESPN is pulling the strings here. Telling ut and ou and SEC how much money they will make. ut has spent a lot of money on athletic facilities and ESPN is tired of funding the unprofitable LHN. This cures both problems.
It's all in their hands now, puppet masters of college football. Wonder what they have planned for us. If anything.

Virginia Frog

How do you know the Pac12 doesn't want religious schools or academic underachievers, whatever that means. The new p12 commish needs to sit Berkeley and Stanford down and read them the riot act. I see all sorts of strange bedfellows in today's conference groupings. We are all Americans so grow up. It will be for the best for the Pac to take TCU, Tech, OSU, Baylor/KSU. They will need to move fast. At least the old P12 commish is gone, he was a dolt.
My fear that of the B12 "leftovers" TCU just maybe NOT make the cut (max 4 slots in the PAC.)

OkieState is a certainty.

WVU is out. Totally unworkable for everyone, Sorry fellas!

Kansas - Men's B-ball for the BIG and a natural add to their footprint. They'd make KU football a "project" and hold their noses to give them a "yes."

Worst case: big public schools: OkSt, TT, K-S, ISU.
Best case: OkSt, TT, TCU, BU

I think that at least two of the four will be Texas teams (recruitment, press coverage, transportation efficiencies, and existing rivalries). So it could be TT-TCU, TT-BU or BU-TCU in competition for those 2 TX slots. All three COULD be selected, not likely IMO.

TT likely will be "in" I'm sad to say. We need the Techsters to advocate TCU-BU.
Or TCU only - we're more of a TT rival than BU (more class too!)

K-State very well COULD be in play (adding a state to the footprint and the KC metro). That would eliminate TCU or BU.

VicBo and the AD need to play this whole thing gently. We need BU, but could get subordinated by them in the wrong scenario. (bigger school, butch basketball superiority, USNW&R sightly higher academic status, etc)
in alliance with TT and OkSt.

Our prime play is the DFW Metroplex/TCU Stadium, consistent athletic success and historical good citizenship in college athletics.

Iowa State just doesn't fit. Often cold weather which is something the Pac rarely is exposed to, small state market, and has a host of other disadvantages. But you never know where K-St advocates for them as a partner and the all-big-public-school four be chosen.

JogginFrog

I'm surprised ACC isn't getting more votes here. We're going to end up with 4 superconferences, and they should all want representation in Texas.

The card TCU has to play is location--though not so much the TV market as travel access and density of high-caliber recruits.

When that's the card you have to play, you play it with whichever conference wants it. The remainder of the Big 12 doesn't need it--they're already close enough to Texas. The Big 10 will never drop it's obsession with AAU membership--they're more likely to lure A&M or UT out of the SEC.

That leaves the PAC and the ACC. The money is about the same, the travel costs of the ACC are probably lower than a 16-team PAC--which is meaningful for minor sports. Probably more ACC alumni than PAC in D/FW. Unlike the PAC, the ACC isn't hung up on schools with a Christian heritage. And a one-hour time difference is much preferred for fans over two.

The one challenge is that the ACC already has 15 schools plus a coop with Notre Dame. If it finds a way to add Notre Dame completely, it could stand pat. I'd lobby to have them add a team in Texas...and maybe consider offloading Wake Forest, which brings very little to the superconference table.

smufrogger

Don’t agree here though. Tech to the PAC was never a done deal, and that is coming from Tech boosters and athletic employees themselves as I lived out there during the last round.

Also, TCU routinely out draws tech games on tv here in dfw so I don’t believe the idea that Tech draws the Dallas and Houston markets is that strong to begin with. Don’t even get me started academically…they’ve made efforts but having been on campus when they were in the midst of those efforts, trust me, they’re nowhere near PAC school levels or even that of TCU, OU, and UT.
Tech being a strong school is a joke.

HG73

Aggy will succeed in blocking texas but the SEC will take ou. Then probably UVA for an even number.
B1G will then take texas and convince ND to join.
That leaves ACC at 13 and the PAC at 12.
If the ACC and PAC don't expand then the leftover Big12 should invite a service academy. Or all 3. Or work out an alliance with either ACC or PAC for separate TV contracts and a championship game.
A 20 or 21 team alliance is not much different than either 16 team conference.
Except for the money. :)

Paul in uhh

ags won't block texas, they have been sold out as schools like mizzou and uga have no reason to vote with the ags

nd has a contractual agreement with the acc to join them if they join a conference as part of their parking their other sports

don't agree on partnering with the service academies if the idea is eyes on tv's

acc needs nothing from the big 12 remainders as they have clemson and potential fsu and the u which are far bigger brands than anyone remaining in the big 12
ACC doesn’t need a team as big as Clemson to get eyeballs, they just need an opponent better than middle of the road ACC team.

nobody watches Clemson vs wake forest/bc/Syracuse/GT/NC State.. but they would watch Clemson vs TCU. IMO.

Purple Cavalier

The one issue no one likes to talk about: Too many people view Baylor and TCU as “church” schools and for some reason that has a negative connotation. Baylor is a “church” school; TCU is no more a “church” school than Princeton, SMU, Duke and a dozen others with a history of being founded as “church” schools. That point needs to be made clear. TCU and the Disciple of Christ church changed their relationship in 1947. We are a great fit in both the ACC and the PAC-12. The private schools in the PAC-12 include Stanford and USC. Schools in the ACC include Wake, Duke, Miami, Boston College, and maybe others (Norte Dame). We have upped our Academics and that is known at the Presidents’ level among the academics.

flyfishingfrog

Agreed but we were willing to stay if the money was still there. It's drying up as our economy tanks.
Which is why there won’t be 4 16 team super conferences

The top SEC schools have been told by the networks the schools inside and outside the conference that they “are willing to pay for” and that the others add no additional value to the package

so basically The top 20-25 schools would get a tv deal worth as much (if not actually more) than the top 64 teams

and from my understanding the schools in that list have started talking to each on how to make it happen for the next round of contracts - with the UT and OU move being the first chess piece to fall

Nick Danger

Iowa State just doesn't fit. Often cold weather which is something the Pac rarely is exposed to, small state market, and has a host of other disadvantages. But you never know where K-St advocates for them as a partner and the all-big-public-school four be chosen.
Just wanted to jump back on the board to make this brief point about the viability of Iowa State, going forward. Looking at the staggering number of Seniors on the 2021 Iowa State football depth chart, they'd better have a great season this fall, and not waste it, because the following year or two could see them fall back down to the bottom half of the conference football standings, along with Kansas and Baylor!

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
So where do we end up now..... I see the Big 12 collapsing with the PAC poaching.

Quite frankly, I don't care where TCU ends up.

UT and OU will have to get used to 4 losses a year - just like TAM.
So its a money $$$$$$ grab. Big scheissing deal. With the TV rights and new contracts TCU isn't going to lose any sports money revenue.

PAC 12 or ACC would be better than staying in Big 12 and trying to bring in some also rans.
In lesser conferences (like the past and ACC and Pac12 are lesser than SEC) - TCU has a chance to win some titles, get into some playoffs and see where the upsets may arise (***See Wisconsin and the Rose Bowl) against what would be 6 SEC teams in a 12 team format.

Here's why. Its selfish, but honest.

Back in the day before the Big 12, we would go to 2 away games a year.
At one point TCU was 21-0 in away games we went too (TT Lubbock scheissed that winning streak up).
San Diego, Utah, San Francisco, Albuquerque, Chicago, Charlottesville, Louisville, New Orleans, Pasadena, etc., etc.....

Now we can go to Lubbock....... what a [ Finebaum ] hole.
Waco........what a [ Finebaum ] hole..........
Oklahoma City............. What a [ Finebaum ] hole........
Manhattan KS.......eeehhhhhhhh
Ames, Iowa.........BIG eeeehhhhh
Austin.......... Liberal [ Finebaum ] hole deluxe

If I have to go to a lib city for a game, I'll take Stanford or Washington over Austin.

At least the away games would be way more of a fun 3 day getaway than driving to Stillwater, OK

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Quite frankly, I don't care where TCU ends up.

UT and OU will have to get used to 4 losses a year - just like TAM.
So its a money $$$$$$ grab. Big scheissing deal. With the TV rights and new contracts TCU isn't going to lose any sports money revenue.

PAC 12 or ACC would be better than staying in Big 12 and trying to bring in some also rans.
In lesser conferences (like the past and ACC and Pac12 are lesser than SEC) - TCU has a chance to win some titles, get into some playoffs and see where the upsets may arise (***See Wisconsin and the Rose Bowl) against what would be 6 SEC teams in a 12 team format.

Here's why. Its selfish, but honest.

Back in the day before the Big 12, we would go to 2 away games a year.
At one point TCU was 21-0 in away games we went too (TT Lubbock scheissed that winning streak up).
San Diego, Utah, San Francisco, Albuquerque, Chicago, Charlottesville, Louisville, New Orleans, Pasadena, etc., etc.....

Now we can go to Lubbock....... what a [ #2020 ] hole.
Waco........what a [ #2020 ] hole..........
Oklahoma City............. What a [ #2020 ] hole........
Manhattan KS.......eeehhhhhhhh
Ames, Iowa.........BIG eeeehhhhh
Austin.......... Liberal [ #2020 ] hole deluxe

If I have to go to a lib city for a game, I'll take Stanford or Washington over Austin.

At least the away games would be way more of a fun 3 day getaway than driving to Stillwater, OK

Lost me with your first sentence.

Paul in uhh

don't agree clemson v tcu draws more eyeballs than tech, nc state or possibly syracuse

things have changed just a bit for one of these programs since dabo's first season and i don't buy tcu brings more eyeballs than tech in atlanta or nc state with 40K+ students

don't have a llnk to the metroplex specific ratings but here are ratings from 2020 nationally, we aren't the brand some imagine us to be and gary's has said that as well

What I mean to say is that the rankings of the teams playing matter to casual (non alum) viewers. Over the last ten years TCU has been ranked what, 47 times? And that’s a trend likely to continue.

ranked Clemson vs ranked tcu certainly draws more interest than Clemson vs any unranked program not named FSU. I don’t think you can think of viewers in such a way as to only count alums and metropolitan areas anymore.

HG73

The one issue no one likes to talk about: Too many people view Baylor and TCU as “church” schools and for some reason that has a negative connotation. Baylor is a “church” school; TCU is no more a “church” school than Princeton, SMU, Duke and a dozen others with a history of being founded as “church” schools. That point needs to be made clear. TCU and the Disciple of Christ church changed their relationship in 1947. We are a great fit in both the ACC and the PAC-12. The private schools in the PAC-12 include Stanford and USC. Schools in the ACC include Wake, Duke, Miami, Boston College, and maybe others (Norte Dame). We have upped our Academics and that is known at the Presidents’ level among the academics.
Syracuse, Georgia Tech are private.