• The KillerFrogs

Offseason Cord Cutting: YouTube TV or Hulu TV?

Purp

I tried YouTube TV last year and it didn't have a dedicated guide that I could find without some sort of hassle going thru Amazon fire. Gladly pay extra to have a guide thru Direct.
The guide on YTTV is plenty good for me. It doesn't go out as far as DTV or Uverse, but if you are looking for something specific beyond the outer limit of the guide the search feature is way better on YTTV than anything else I've ever used.

I tried YouTube TV for two weeks back in January and I loved it. My only complaint is that it doesn't allow full screen rewind / fast forward like you get with cable or DirecTV. I plan to switch full time when AT&T jacks up their prices in a year (they offered me deep discounts for a year when I threatened to cut the cord).

My TVs are all fairly new, and they have the YouTube TV app built in, so the program guide was really good. I did find that the interface, recommendations and search were excellent, especially compared to DirecTV.

For purposes of comparison, I have pretty much an open pipe with DirecTV. My bill had gone up to around $275 per month before I threatened to cut the cord. The same lineup with YouTube TV, including all of their sports, HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, would drop to about $125 per month. That's $1800 a year I can spend on golf!

zfrawg

I tried YouTube TV last year and it didn't have a dedicated guide that I could find without some sort of hassle going thru Amazon fire. Gladly pay extra to have a guide thru Direct.

I'm not a fan of the Hulu guide. I can't stand having to completely leave a show to check the guide and then reload the channel if I decided not to switch. Other than that, I'm content with Hulu Live.

Purp

What the thoughts on FuboTV from those using it? I am thinking of switching from Hulu and Philo. I would keep the Disney bundle.
I looked into Fubo, but they don't have the Fox Sports regionals (about to become Bally), which was the main attraction. I also seem to remember you can't use it on as many devices per account like I can with YTTV. I think we get up to 8 devices. I've also read that the recording options on Fubo aren't nearly as good as YTTV.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That annoys the hell out of me as well. "Here's what we think you should watch!" No, I'll choose my own damned programming, thank you.

It's like they sit up nights, trying to think of new ways to piss us off...

flyfishingfrog

I looked into Fubo, but they don't have the Fox Sports regionals (about to become Bally), which was the main attraction. I also seem to remember you can't use it on as many devices per account like I can with YTTV. I think we get up to 8 devices. I've also read that the recording options on Fubo aren't nearly as good as YTTV.
the plan I am trialing has 10 screens and 1000 hours of recording time - so guessing they upgraded their plans

flyfishingfrog

What the thoughts on FuboTV from those using it? I am thinking of switching from Hulu and Philo. I would keep the Disney bundle.
only used it for a day, so maybe not the best person to answer but I like the interface better than Philo for sure. Never used YouTube so don't know how it compares.

Frozen Frog

only used it for a day, so maybe not the best person to answer but I like the interface better than Philo for sure. Never used YouTube so don't know how it compares.

Thank you. My dog doesn't get to handle to remote so I decide what we watch. The joys of being single. As for the RSNs I think I have given up on them. I can watch national broadcasts or listen to games on the radio. I came to grips with their Baylor a long time ago.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I cut the cord with Directv. Looking at streaming services. Can I add FSSW to Hulu+Live? It’s not in my channel lineup for my region.

edit: or would I just stream games from the fox sports app?
The regional fox sports networks were removed last fall from Hulu+ and I am not sure what to do about that. I need to look into it with Rangers season starting.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Fox Sports Oklahoma is changing to Bally Sports Oklahoma. Here's what we know

Jenni Carlson, Oklahoman

The Thunder game on Wednesday night won’t be on Fox Sports Oklahoma.

No more Thunder games will be from that day forward.

Now, Thunder fans, before you throw that remote through your flat screen, let me soften this news a bit. Even though change is coming again to Thunder broadcasts, this change isn’t nearly as disruptive as what’s you might've endured over the past few years.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...-what-we-know/ar-BB1f4LEy?ocid=BingNewsSearch

YA

I’m confused by Ya and Brewing Frog saying there isn’t a guide on YouTube TV? There is most definitely a guide.
It is was dang near impossible to find with Amazon Fire. It took extra steps that my wife would never figure out. So to keep the peace and my sanity, I stayed with Direct TV

nwlafrog

I’m confused by Ya and Brewing Frog saying there isn’t a guide on YouTube TV? There is most definitely a guide.

YouTube TV seems to have better choices for my sports in my zip code and more value as far as cloud storage and the ability to watch on multiple TVs at the same time without paying extra. I’m thinking I’ll just have to take advantage of the trial periods on HULU, YouTube, and Fubo and go from there.