• The KillerFrogs

2021 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

I think its more a function of who we are targeting...and the past couple years we haven't really gone after many local kids. I mean besides Browning and Lofton this year who we offered late...we didn't come in 2nd on many DFW kids.

Would I like to see more local kids? Sure. But as Moose said I don't care where they are from and our recruiting has never been better. And being very close to the HS game and high school kids on general, I totally agree with GP that kids want to leave town more these days, especially bigtime athletes.

I think we go after more than we let on. The staff is very savvy about talking to a kid and if they don’t reciprocate interest we hold back our offer.

flyfishingfrog

I don't have the answer to that question but suspect it's more about who they're targeting and not the local kids turning on us all of a sudden. I know one thing though.... I couldn't care less that Zach Evans, Quentin Johnston, Khari Coleman, Kendre Miller, Earl Barquet, Patrick Jenkins, etc.... aren't from DFW.
I actually think it’s often better for kids to leave town - when you look at some of the problems “local guys” have had across the country with their high school crew, extended family, etc hanging on through college - it’s often a benefit for better players to get some distance

Pharm Frog

I actually think it’s often better for kids to leave town - when you look at some of the problems “local guys” have had across the country with their high school crew, extended family, etc hanging on through college - it’s often a benefit for better players to get some distance

Ive always been a fan of the “go” part of going to college

Froggish

Agree and I think the TX kids we do get are mostly from a good distance away from DFW. Recently we’ve started to do pretty well plucking a few guys from Houston which I think is the perfect place for us to double down

Moose Stuff

Agree and I think the TX kids we do get are mostly from a good distance away from DFW. Recently we’ve started to do pretty well plucking a few guys from Houston which I think is the perfect place for us to double down

Yep. I think it also hurts us that there are so many good options for DFW kids to get away without going so far that family can't see them or that they can't get back home fairly easily... OU, OSU, Ark, UT, A&M... heck even LSU is doable.

flyfishingfrog

Ive always been a fan of the “go” part of going to college
My kids were split and none were star athletes with a built in entourage - so to be honest I don’t think it made a difference in any of them

the ones that went to TCU ended up with a few old friends and a bunch of new kids during school

I basically never saw them at all during the semesters except when they needed laundry done or to raid my pantry/liquor cabinets

the ones that went away always had a few local friends it seemed anyways and tended to come home at least once a semester, which is about what we saw the ones that stayed

However the ones that played sports in college definitely were around a lot less and all their friends were other athletes regardless of location

Pharm Frog

My kids were split and none were star athletes with a built in entourage - so to be honest I don’t think it made a difference in any of them

the ones that went to TCU ended up with a few old friends and a bunch of new kids during school

I basically never saw them at all during the semesters except when they needed laundry done or to raid my pantry/liquor cabinets

the ones that went away always had a few local friends it seemed anyways and tended to come home at least once a semester, which is about what we saw the ones that stayed

However the ones that played sports in college definitely were around a lot less and all their friends were other athletes regardless of location

When I was in higher education there were many examples of kids who adopted a “go to college” attitude even though their parents lived less than ten miles away. I also suspect that their parents helped many of them in that attitude.

As for me...as soon as my dad moved the last of my stuff into my dorm room (weren’t called residence halls then), I went with my mom and dad to eat lunch and then they said...”See you at Thanksgiving...make good decisions.”

netty2424

I think that's nuts..he has to be leaving at least $2MM on the table. Jerry must have told him he's the next HC if and when Mike M is fired.
Norm on the Ticket mentioned this last week, stating that essentially coaches don’t usually bounce back and forth college to nfl, nfl to college. Yes there are obviously recently examples of this, but he stated for young coaches carving out their path, he is essentially deciding which direction he wants his career to go. A “fork in the road” as he described it.

If he takes the Boise job, he’s essentially deciding on heading down the college path, or staying nfl OC with the intentions of moving up into a HC role in the nfl.

It’s not absolute, but it has some merit to it I think.

flyfishingfrog

Norm on the Ticket mentioned this last week, stating that essentially coaches don’t usually bounce back and forth college to nfl, nfl to college. Yes there are obviously recently examples of this, but he stated for young coaches carving out their path, he is essentially deciding which direction he wants his career to go. A “fork in the road” as he described it.

If he takes the Boise job, he’s essentially deciding on heading down the college path, or staying nfl OC with the intentions of moving up into a HC role in the nfl.

It’s not absolute, but it has some merit to it I think.
I could definitely see him (or anyone) wanting to stay in the NFL

while the millionaires of pro sports are probably a major pain to deal with- they are at least professionals

not 18-22 year old kids in adult bodies that make many illogical decisions as they grow up

plus the transfer rules in college have got to make it miserable for coaches even if it benefits the athlete

Having a successful team boils down to having the players first, and a coaching staff to develop those players second.
How do you get the players? Recruiting.
When filling a staff, head coaches look for recruiters first and teachers next, and there has been a movement to hire younger coaches, ones the recruits can relate to.
Kenny Hill fits that. If Cumbie is wanting him, he sees these attributes in Hill.
GP has been hiring younger position coaches recently. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't move Hill up.

netty2424

I could definitely see him (or anyone) wanting to stay in the NFL

while the millionaires of pro sports are probably a major pain to deal with- they are at least professionals

not 18-22 year old kids in adult bodies that make many illogical decisions as they grow up

plus the transfer rules in college have got to make it miserable for coaches even if it benefits the athlete
Recruiting has to be brutal.

CountryFrog

Much needed QB depth for whoever his coach ends up being.

I should probably be the QB coach. Just throw it to whomever is the deepest receiver down the field that is open. Then be sure to throw it accurately in a spot where the defender can't get to it and the receiver can run after the catch. That's about all there is to that.

Now I'll go tell the o-linemen that all they need to do on every play is block everyone and we're all set for success.