• The KillerFrogs

2021 Recruiting Thread

Eight

I guess the main reason I'm not bothered by it is I never expected for one second that we'd do anything exciting. In terms of what I was expecting, Kenny Hill is better than what it could have been. Whoever we hired needed RJ be a an asset in recruiting and I think he will be.

"Kenny Hill is better than what it could have been"
this is such a sad, sad thought and unfortunately sums up why so many are frustrated

CryptoMiner

nice that the players will like him, nice gary might give a young guy a chance, and sure kenny has some things he can bring to the table, but from what i can find he hasn't coached a single down at the junior high, high school. college, or pro level and you are now going to ask him not only help max address his throwing issues, but develop a capable back up

more importantly, this is not the big 12 of 6 years ago as the level of defensive coach has significantly improved at ou, isu, ksu, wvu, and i think arranda has started making progress at baylor. the offense was better last year, but not good and at a time when new ideas, new thoughts, new viewpoints could be brought in and possibly elevate the level of play on the offensive side of the ball gary would seem to be headed for another comfort hire which is very discouraging at salfrog said and would seem to indicate a lack of urgency for someone who is nearing the end of a career

He will not be the OC

Eight

He will not be the OC

understand kenny won't be the oc, but can anyone name a p5 program that hired a quarterback coach with no coaching experience?

i am sure someone has, but i can't recall off hand and why i would love yurcich which i know isn't happening, but hey, i can hope

Punter1

understand kenny won't be the oc, but can anyone name a p5 program that hired a quarterback coach with no coaching experience?

i am sure someone has, but i can't recall off hand and why i would love yurcich which i know isn't happening, but hey, i can hope

How about the Dallas Cowboys???

Kellan Moore went from a backup QB in 2017 to their QB coach in 2018. Ill think harder on a P5 example...but its kinda the same situation. Not the OC, just there to help develop another young QB.

Kenny Hill played 5 years in this system...is an alumni...a great recruiter and still a big name in HS circles...2 year coach basically as the sideline QB coach...Max clearly likes and trusts him. I think he is a PERFECT QB coach for this team. And I'm dam critical and opinionated about this team that I once played for...

Eight

How about the Dallas Cowboys???

Kellan Moore went from a backup QB in 2017 to their QB coach in 2018. Ill think harder on a P5 example...but its kinda the same situation. Not the OC, just there to help develop another young QB.

Kenny Hill played 5 years in this system...is an alumni...a great recruiter and still a big name in HS circles...2 year coach basically as the sideline QB coach...Max clearly likes and trusts him. I think he is a PERFECT QB coach for this team. And I'm dam critical and opinionated about this team that I once played for...

first off, toss being an alumni as a qualification for a position this important. as salfrog posted, the quarterbacks deserve the best possible teacher and position coach and i don't care where they graduated from if they are the best possible candidate

there is significant value in new ideas and different viewpoints, especially when you are dealing with stagnation in a program.

he played 3 years at tcu and not 5 and with kill around is this truly going to be the offense of 2015-16?

not sure why you think he is a big name in high school circles or that playing quarterback at slc is going to open doors. i am sure kenny can bring some things to the table, but i just don't see him being the best possible candidate for the position.

as far as max goes, again don't really care if max likes or trust him if there is a better candidate out there.

Punter1

first off, toss being an alumni as a qualification for a position this important. as salfrog posted, the quarterbacks deserve the best possible teacher and position coach and i don't care where they graduated from if they are the best possible candidate

there is significant value in new ideas and different viewpoints, especially when you are dealing with stagnation in a program.

he played 3 years at tcu and not 5 and with kill around is this truly going to be the offense of 2015-16?

not sure why you think he is a big name in high school circles or that playing quarterback at slc is going to open doors. i am sure kenny can bring some things to the table, but i just don't see him being the best possible candidate for the position.

as far as max goes, again don't really care if max likes or trust him if there is a better candidate out there.

Alumni isn't a qualification, just an added bonus for recruitment purposes. And that does matter to a lot of kids and parents.

And he played 5 years in the system we are in now...the first two at Aggie were in the "Tech System" which is basically ours with the same language and plays (which was one of the reasons why he said he came). Kill isn't changing any of that...I really don't know what he does except maybe suggest types of plays to run during the week and on game day. And of coarse, as he says, coach the coaches. I'm not a Kill fan and I'd rather have a young aggressive dude like Kenny come in rather than one of Kill's old cronies.

True...he's obviously not the best candidate. But that guy just took the UT job. I'm kidding of coarse but I think Hill, while not the most qualified guy, is still the absolute perfect guy to get the most outta Max and whoever succeeds him.

Eight

Alumni isn't a qualification, just an added bonus for recruitment purposes. And that does matter to a lot of kids and parents.

And he played 5 years in the system we are in now...the first two at Aggie were in the "Tech System" which is basically ours with the same language and plays (which was one of the reasons why he said he came). Kill isn't changing any of that...I really don't know what he does except maybe suggest types of plays to run during the week and on game day. And of coarse, as he says, coach the coaches. I'm not a Kill fan and I'd rather have a young aggressive dude like Kenny come in rather than one of Kill's old cronies.

True...he's obviously not the best candidate. But that guy just took the UT job. I'm kidding of coarse but I think Hill, while not the most qualified guy, is still the absolute perfect guy to get the most outta Max and whoever succeeds him.

don't want one of kill's cronies and i have said who i would like gary to interview.

experience in the spread, experience with the ok state system that meacham worked in, worked with day at ohio state in 2019 and seen a good power run scheme and actually coached quarterbacks

i don't want the scheissing tech system because that pure system isn't getting the job done anywhere in college. the coaches who have had success the last few seasons have evolved the system which means new ideas, formations, schemes, etc.....

i know of no other staff with as many alums as tcu and it sure as heck isn't a selling point apparently in the metroplex as the frogs have disappeared in recruiting in one of the largest areas in the country which is our backyard

Moose Stuff

don't want one of kill's cronies and i have said who i would like gary to interview.

experience in the spread, experience with the ok state system that meacham worked in, worked with day at ohio state in 2019 and seen a good power run scheme and actually coached quarterbacks

i don't want the scheissing tech system because that pure system isn't getting the job done anywhere in college. the coaches who have had success the last few seasons have evolved the system which means new ideas, formations, schemes, etc.....

i know of no other staff with as many alums as tcu and it sure as heck isn't a selling point apparently in the metroplex as the frogs have disappeared in recruiting in one of the largest areas in the country which is our backyard
Our recruiting is as good as it's ever been. Why would anyone care WHERE the kids are coming from?

I think Kenny Hill probably brings something to the table in terms of familiarity and trust with the players but in terms of developing QB's, I'm not sure what is there that wouldn't have been apparent the last three years when he was a GA and analyst. During that time, we have not had an impressive record of developing QB's in the passing game. If he was some sort of prodigy--or if he were just exceptional--it would have probably shown up by now.

Even without him being exceptional, if KH had been an understudy to a OC/QB coach during a period where we had been very successful in that department, I could at least see it making more sense. Instead, he pretty much learned everything he knows from a guy who didn't demonstrate he had any idea of what he was doing either.

Someone cited Kellen Moore. He is WAY more the rule than the exception and what he has done in the NFL suggests that he truly is exceptional and someone recognized that and hence the opportunity presented itself for him in a non-traditional fashion. I saw both Kenny Hill and Kellen Moore play a lot of games at QB and never once thought that they were even remotely equal in terms of their football acumen. Kenny Hill is not Kellen Moore.

As to recruiting, all these QB's spend time with coaches and camps and such and those you actually want on your roster are probably much more influenced by how they perceive the coaching and instruction they will get to be successful than just someone they relate to because they are close enough in age to have remembered him playing the game. The best recruiting tool is a record of success.

Successful P5 programs seek out the best coaches available to them to recruit and develop their players. While I fully expect KH to be the next QB coach, I don't think anyone can make a case that he fits that description or would be hired to that position by another P5 coach. Unfortunately, we seem to say that about coaches far too often.

Froggish

nice that the players will like him, nice gary might give a young guy a chance, and sure kenny has some things he can bring to the table, but from what i can find he hasn't coached a single down at the junior high, high school. college, or pro level and you are now going to ask him not only help max address his throwing issues, but develop a capable back up

more importantly, this is not the big 12 of 6 years ago as the level of defensive coach has significantly improved at ou, isu, ksu, wvu, and i think arranda has started making progress at baylor. the offense was better last year, but not good and at a time when new ideas, new thoughts, new viewpoints could be brought in and possibly elevate the level of play on the offensive side of the ball gary would seem to be headed for another comfort hire which is very discouraging at salfrog said and would seem to indicate a lack of urgency for someone who is nearing the end of a career

Kenny is a penny pincher hire. He’s in no way even close to the best hire we could make. Having said that, QB coach at TCU is about 8th on ladder of important hires. We have Kill, Meacham, and Kill’s buddy old pal Tim Beck in the fold. All of them will do all the heavy lifting with QBs. Young Hill will be asked to be a calming influence on the QBs and kick ass on the recruiting trail. I think he can probably do that pretty well

CountryFrog

Steve Nash was just hired as head coach of the Brooklyn Nets with no coaching experience of any kind.

I get that it's a different sport but there is plenty of precedent and these days - right, wrong, or indifferent - people are being given really high level jobs with little to no experience. I can't speak specifically to college QB coaches because I can't name any college QB coaches much less give you their resumes.

And I'm not saying hiring Kenny is right or wrong. I have absolutely no idea. Ultimately none of us actually know whether it's a good hire or not. For all we know the guy is the next Sean McVay.

Punter1

Gary has said many times and its so true...TCU is a hotter name outside of the area. Which is why so many great Louisiana kids come our way. Local kids want to get away these days....its the same way here in Austin...besides Sam E, UT can't sign any big-names around Austin.

Until we blow up the offense totally...which I'm all for.. meaning killing Kill and Meach...I think bringing in a loyal soldier like Hill is the right choice.

If you want to fire Meach and Kill...bring in Yurcich...to run the whole show I'm down with that also. Would actually prefer it...but I doubt that happens.

Moose Stuff

I think Kenny Hill probably brings something to the table in terms of familiarity and trust with the players but in terms of developing QB's, I'm not sure what is there that wouldn't have been apparent the last three years when he was a GA and analyst. During that time, we have not had an impressive record of developing QB's in the passing game. If he was some sort of prodigy--or if he were just exceptional--it would have probably shown up by now.

Even without him being exceptional, if KH had been an understudy to a OC/QB coach during a period where we had been very successful in that department, I could at least see it making more sense. Instead, he pretty much learned everything he knows from a guy who didn't demonstrate he had any idea of what he was doing either.

Someone cited Kellen Moore. He is WAY more the rule than the exception and what he has done in the NFL suggests that he truly is exceptional and someone recognized that and hence the opportunity presented itself for him in a non-traditional fashion. I saw both Kenny Hill and Kellen Moore play a lot of games at QB and never once thought that they were even remotely equal in terms of their football acumen. Kenny Hill is not Kellen Moore.

As to recruiting, all these QB's spend time with coaches and camps and such and those you actually want on your roster are probably much more influenced by how they perceive the coaching and instruction they will get to be successful than just someone they relate to because they are close enough in age to have remembered him playing the game. The best recruiting tool is a record of success.

Successful P5 programs seek out the best coaches available to them to recruit and develop their players. While I fully expect KH to be the next QB coach, I don't think anyone can make a case that he fits that description or would be hired to that position by another P5 coach. Unfortunately, we seem to say that about coaches far too often.

I've heard rumors that Cumbie wants him at Tech.