• The KillerFrogs

2021 Recruiting Thread

froginmn

understand kenny won't be the oc, but can anyone name a p5 program that hired a quarterback coach with no coaching experience?

i am sure someone has, but i can't recall off hand and why i would love yurcich which i know isn't happening, but hey, i can hope
How do you think coaches get their first jobs?

CountryFrog

There are plenty of position coaches in the NFL who have a very low understanding of the X's and O's (relative to other coaches) part of it but they're good teachers and good communicators and they themselves get coached along the way by the coordinator and HC on the schematic stuff and sometimes even technique stuff.

And again none of this is to defend Kenny Hill as the QB coach because I have no clue how good he'll be. I'm just not going to assume he's a bad hire based on his age or lack of experience.

And even though GP has a less than stellar track record with hiring decisions I'm not going to hold that against Kenny either because that's not his fault.

Moose Stuff

There are plenty of position coaches in the NFL who have a very low understanding of the X's and O's (relative to other coaches) part of it but they're good teachers and good communicators and they themselves get coached along the way by the coordinator and HC on the schematic stuff and sometimes even technique stuff.

And again none of this is to defend Kenny Hill as the QB coach because I have no clue how good he'll be. I'm just not going to assume he's a bad hire based on his age or lack of experience.

And even though GP has a less than stellar track record with hiring decisions I'm not going to hold that against Kenny either because that's not his fault.
The hiring decisions that people have hated all basically just involve one or two guys and it's more that he wouldn't fire them that made everyone mad. His track record on hires is actually pretty damn good, and especially recently with Fitch, Modkins, Gonzo, Kelly, and Applewhite.

Eight

Gary has said many times and its so true...TCU is a hotter name outside of the area. Which is why so many great Louisiana kids come our way. Local kids want to get away these days....its the same way here in Austin...besides Sam E, UT can't sign any big-names around Austin.

Until we blow up the offense totally...which I'm all for.. meaning killing Kill and Meach...I think bringing in a loyal soldier like Hill is the right choice.

If you want to fire Meach and Kill...bring in Yurcich...to run the whole show I'm down with that also. Would actually prefer it...but I doubt that happens.

so how did we land 4-6 metroplex kids on a regular basis until a few years ago?

Ron Swanson

Sometimes. But DeMarco Murray became OU's RB coach a year after his first job as Arizona's RB coach.

Position coach isn't some glorious job.
I agree, but to be fair, runnings backs coach and wide receivers coach is roughly 95% about who your players are (i.e. recruiting).

Obviously who your quarterback is is a big part of your success as a quarterback coach as well, but I think there is more mental and physical instruction necessary for that position than wide receivers or running backs.

Moose Stuff

I agree, but to be fair, runnings backs coach and wide receivers coach is roughly 95% about who your players are (i.e. recruiting).

Obviously who your quarterback is is a big part of your success as a quarterback coach as well, but I think there is more mental and physical instruction necessary for that position than wide receivers or running backs.

You're correct. I would add however that just because a coach is older and experienced doesn't mean he's any better at the mental and physical aspects than a younger guy. Some of the most sought after pitching coaches in professional baseball right now are very young Drive Line trained guys who have never coached for a team at any level. I guess it just comes down to whether or not you trust Gary and clearly several people on here do not. The flip side of that is that if Lincoln Riley or Saban hired Kenny everyone would assume we just lost an amazing young assistant that we needed to keep.

froginmn

The other thing you see is that a lot of QB coaches now are also OC's, or passing game coordinators, or in Riley's case, HC. Which probably means that the day to day position "skill" coaching is coming from someone else.

Moose Stuff

How about the Dallas Cowboys???

Kellan Moore went from a backup QB in 2017 to their QB coach in 2018. Ill think harder on a P5 example...but its kinda the same situation. Not the OC, just there to help develop another young QB.

Kenny Hill played 5 years in this system...is an alumni...a great recruiter and still a big name in HS circles...2 year coach basically as the sideline QB coach...Max clearly likes and trusts him. I think he is a PERFECT QB coach for this team. And I'm dam critical and opinionated about this team that I once played for...

Just turned down the Boise HC job to stay in Dallas FWIW.

Punter1

I think its more a function of who we are targeting...and the past couple years we haven't really gone after many local kids. I mean besides Browning and Lofton this year who we offered late...we didn't come in 2nd on many DFW kids.

Would I like to see more local kids? Sure. But as Moose said I don't care where they are from and our recruiting has never been better. And being very close to the HS game and high school kids on general, I totally agree with GP that kids want to leave town more these days, especially bigtime athletes.

Moose Stuff

I think that's nuts..he has to be leaving at least $2MM on the table. Jerry must have told him he's the next HC if and when Mike M is fired.

Without knowing the details I would tend to agree. I've heard Boise athletic department is in serious trouble so who knows what they offered him or what Jerry was able to counter with. I suspect the gap is much closer than 2 million.

Wexahu

I think that's nuts..he has to be leaving at least $2MM on the table. Jerry must have told him he's the next HC if and when Mike M is fired.

I thought I had heard or read that Harsin was making around $1.5M/yr. He maybe isn’t leaving as much on the table as you think. I know Jerry was paying Garrett big money back when he was OC.

Moose Stuff

I don't have the answer to that question but suspect it's more about who they're targeting and not the local kids turning on us all of a sudden. I know one thing though.... I couldn't care less that Zach Evans, Quentin Johnston, Khari Coleman, Kendre Miller, Earl Barquet, Patrick Jenkins, etc.... aren't from DFW.