• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Hogs

MCFROG III

Notice he said "on the edge"....I'm thinking that the recruitment of Ronnie Littleton from Wichita Falls and the Hodges Mitchell (and I think three or four others) from South Oak Cliff was the basis for this claim....All of them left the program, so the prospective resurrection of TCU football didn't take place....

Littleton played all four years ('72-'75) and graduated from TCU. Seems like he was injured much of his time and his stats are not very impressive. It was very frustrating to recruit such a highly rated player, see a glimpse of his talent, then have him sidelined while the Frogs took the dive into those horrible years.

Froginbedford

And our out of conference schedule was killer, usually on the road. Our athletic department gave our football program no chance to succeed.

Yes, it was apparent that Frank Windegger scheduled big money games away...Ohio State, LSU, Nebraska, Augurn, Tennessee, Nore Dame, Penn State, Washington....As a result, several years there were only 4 home games.....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Yes, it was apparent that Frank Windegger scheduled big money games away...Ohio State, LSU, Nebraska, Augurn, Tennessee, Nore Dame, Penn State, Washington....As a result, several years there were only 4 home games.....

Had to make money somehow, we were never on TV and drew 18k to 28k at home (except for UT, Arky and sometimes A$M). Those Idaho State, UTA games would even out the big draws...

Westsider

Ronnie Littleton came after Fred Taylor. Fred did have Ray Rhodes, Hodges Mitchell, and Larry Dibble who were just beginning to make an impact and all transferred when Fred Taylor was released. I do know that Fred's football budget was miniscule. It was during the time when we tried to nickel and dime the program. The results were predictable.

Rhodes, Mitchell, Dibble, and a couple others left when Jim Pitmam wouldn’t let them have facial hair. All they had were those skinny mustaches. Several NFL’ers in that group. Boy, Jim showed them.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Rhodes, Mitchell, Dibble, and a couple others left when Jim Pitmam wouldn’t let them have facial hair. All they had were those skinny mustaches. Several NFL’ers in that group. Boy, Jim showed them.

Only one other, Ervin Garnett.

Raymond Rhodes was probably the most successful, none of the others made much of an NFL impact, if any, that I recall. Rhodes even had a good NFL coaching career. I was surprised Dibble didn’t make a better showing with his size. Charlie Davis was a freshman and was probably better than any of them, and he stuck it out.

Their major concern seemed to be no social life and under representation. They made demands to Moudy for a black minister, black psychologist, black teachers, as well as dress code issues.

Things were not changing very fast back them, although we did have our first black homecoming queen in 71.

From the Yearbook:

https://repository.tcu.edu/bitstrea...1_Yearbook_article.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Last edited:

HG73

Fred was an excellent coach of the freshman team for many years. My dad often said that by the time those guys were juniors you couldn't recognize them. Probably should have gotten one more year, especially seeing how his successor ran off all the black players.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Fred was an excellent coach of the freshman team for many years. My dad often said that by the time those guys were juniors you couldn't recognize them. Probably should have gotten one more year, especially seeing how his successor ran off all the black players.

I’d say they left more than they were run off. Charlie Davis stayed and was one of our best players. Pittman was also responsible for the first winning season in years.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The last time the Frogs played on NYEve in Houston:

Astro Bluebonnet Bowl at the Astrodome

8-3 TCU vs. 8-3 WVU
L, 14-31

First TCU bowl in more than a decade and I wasn't gonna miss it!

I had to lie to my girlfriend at the time in order to stay home from the NYE bash her friends were giving. The game ran long and I had to haul arse to make it there by 12midnight Eastern Time. I was disappointed in the outcome but I'd do it again today. Lying to see your Frogs play is not a sin!
I was in Basic Training.
Lying to your Drill Sergeant was Always a bad idea.
Plus.....what’s a TV?

westoverhillbilly

A friend of mine on the late '71 (after Pittman's death) or '72 team said that one of the stud African American players showed up a minute or two late for a team meeting (after not being let out of class) and Tohill said something to the effect of "Boy, don't you ever show up late for one of my meetings" and player walked off, packed his bags and some of the other guys left with him very soon after. Friend said the statement felt very racially motivated and was publicly humiliating, difficult for all of the players, and just the straw that broke the camel's back based on the overall treatment of them.

Transitionary period in college football- caused the ultimate demise of Darrell Royal, Frank Broyles and other very successful coaches who couldn't adjust to the times. Rise of Bill Yoeman/UH and Barry Switzer/OU, who knew that you didn't belittle AA players the way you did those of your own race.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
A friend of mine on the late '71 (after Pittman's death) or '72 team said that one of the stud African American players showed up a minute or two late for a team meeting (after not being let out of class) and Tohill said something to the effect of "Boy, don't you ever show up late for one of my meetings" and player walked off, packed his bags and some of the other guys left with him very soon after. Friend said the statement felt very racially motivated and was publicly humiliating, difficult for all of the players, and just the straw that broke the camel's back based on the overall treatment of them.

Transitionary period in college football- caused the ultimate demise of Darrell Royal, Frank Broyles and other very successful coaches who couldn't adjust to the times. Rise of Bill Yoeman/UH and Barry Switzer/OU, who knew that you didn't belittle AA players the way you did those of your own race.

When I lived in The Milton Hilton with the freshmen athletes I was told Tohill used a lot of colorful language that wouldn’t go over well today with that segment of the population. He was old time Mississippi through and through.

Virginia Frog

Believe me, at 13, if I had an underwater camera I would have put it to good use that day...what I really needed was a military rebreather so I could’ve have hovered a while without giving away my location.

Best I can do...
https://images.app.goo.gl/nTQyw3JsmKDjEe3J9
Man, Ifyou’d had A GoPro you could have recorded some movement. Did I say jiggles! Youngsters, beautiful lady flesh was not readily available to us horny toads in the late the late ‘60s And early ‘70s.