• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Hogs

Deep Purple

Me either. Cullen was as interesting a character or more than the others, even though he wasn't one of the biggest of the Big Rich. Without him Houston might not have quite as world famous a Medical Center.
The man who built the Texas Medical Center wasn't H.R. Cullen, it was M.D. Anderson. The men who made it world-famous were Dr. Michael DeBakey and Dr. Denton Cooley.

Paint It Purple

The man who built the Texas Medical Center wasn't H.R. Cullen, it was M.D. Anderson. The men who made it world-famous were Dr. Michael DeBakey and Dr. Denton Cooley.
I said might. As in, he gave lots of money as the hospitals all lined up to take it. He wasn’t particularly a willing philanthropist, but one nevertheless. These things are usually collective efforts, whether coordinated or not.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Was in the Band. They put us up at the Shamrock Hilton, a beautiful old hotel. The ground floor had a Trader Vic's! Superb time was had by all.

At one time they had the biggest swimming pool in the US or world (forgot which they bragged about) and so big they had water skiing exhibitions in it. When I was a kid we’d go swimming there since my dad a membership to the International Club ( when you had to belong to a club to drink). I got a big thrill once diving for quarters with a mask on when I spotted a couple Air France stews bobbing around with their tops off. I thought I’d drown trying to hold my breath so long.

Rabidfrog

Except for the game with Syracuse in the Cotton Bowl and the Cotton Bowl tie with Air Force, TCU consistently lost bowl games and usually by big margins....Raises questions about what those players did the night before the games....
Abe's bowl record was not that hot. He was better known for his big upsets--UT and Ohio State. I like the way Gary usually rebounds from a loss. Abe's players tended to throw in the towel after the Arkie game. I loved Abe, but he prolly stayed too long, and the prolly should have given Fred Taylor one more year, plus they never should have hired Schofner. Frankie finally redeemed hisself by hiring Fran.

Rabidfrog

Cullen was one of the big, rich right wingers, along with H. L Hunt, Sid Richardson and Murchison, who dominated Texas politics with they big oil money. I rate none of them highly, except as businessmen.

Froginbedford

Abe's bowl record was not that hot. He was better known for his big upsets--UT and Ohio State. I like the way Gary usually rebounds from a loss. Abe's players tended to throw in the towel after the Arkie game. I loved Abe, but he prolly stayed too long, and the prolly should have given Fred Taylor one more year, plus they never should have hired Schofner. Frankie finally redeemed hisself by hiring Fran.

Yes, the games with Arkansas always did set the tone for the season...and prior to Houston joining the conference in 1976, the SWC schedule remained unchanged year-to-year throughout the 1950s and 1960s and mid-1970s...Arkansas was always the first SWC game....Before TV, there was only one or two non-conference games before Arkansas....I've read statements (I think by Bob Lilly) that Fred Taylor was in fact on the edge of dominating the conference when he was fired....Schofner was as sentimental hire, plus a knee-jerk reaction to the non-TCU image-fitting drinking, cussing Billy Tohill....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Yes, the games with Arkansas always did set the tone for the season...and prior to Houston joining the conference in 1976, the SWC schedule remained unchanged year-to-year throughout the 1950s and 1960s and mid-1970s...Arkansas was always the first SWC game....Before TV, there was only one or two non-conference games before Arkansas....I've read statements (I think by Bob Lilly) that Fred Taylor was in fact on the edge of dominating the conference when he was fired....Schofner was as sentimental hire, plus a knee-jerk reaction to the non-TCU image-fitting drinking, cussing Billy Tohill....

Man, I was there during the end of the Fred Taylor tenure and never saw a hint of dominating anything.

Froginbedford

Man, I was there during the end of the Fred Taylor tenure and never saw a hint of dominating anything.

Notice he said "on the edge"....I'm thinking that the recruitment of Ronnie Littleton from Wichita Falls and the Hodges Mitchell (and I think three or four others) from South Oak Cliff was the basis for this claim....All of them left the program, so the prospective resurrection of TCU football didn't take place....

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Notice he said "on the edge"....I'm thinking that the recruitment of Ronnie Littleton from Wichita Falls and the Hodges Mitchell (and I think three or four others) from South Oak Cliff was the basis for this claim....All of them left the program, so the prospective resurrection of TCU football didn't take place....

1971: 6-4-1 Season; 5-2 SWC
1972: 5-6 Season: 2-5 SWC
1973: 3-8 Season: 1-6 SWC

...and then the dark days began.

Big Frog II

Ronnie Littleton came after Fred Taylor. Fred did have Ray Rhodes, Hodges Mitchell, and Larry Dibble who were just beginning to make an impact and all transferred when Fred Taylor was released. I do know that Fred's football budget was miniscule. It was during the time when we tried to nickel and dime the program. The results were predictable.

CountryFrog

Fred Taylor could've been an all time great RB in the NFL but was basically never healthy after his first couple years. The guy had the size and power of Derek Henry with the speed and explosiveness of LT.

Boomhauer

Fred Taylor could've been an all time great RB in the NFL but was basically never healthy after his first couple years. The guy had the size and power of Derek Henry with the speed and explosiveness of LT.

Still 17th all time in rushing yards. But dude was always a great risk/reward on fantasy teams.

CountryFrog

Still 17th all time in rushing yards. But dude was always a great risk/reward on fantasy teams.
Yea he did stick around late in his career and was able to string together some healthy seasons and pile up some yards. But he was a shell of his younger self before all the injuries and father time did their work.