• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Texas Tech Game Thread

helcap

The big question is can we take this type effort with us on the road. The two away games so far have been disasters. Saw a stat where in our last 19 conference home games we are 14-5, which is not bad. Of course most teams play better at home, but we need to beat on down the line the OSU's and KSU's at their place.

jake102

Yeah I wouldn't add RJ into the mix. He's a volume shooter (ie low %) and hurts our offense when he takes shots. Obviously you can't have Bane, Samuel, Grayer and Farabello take all the shots, and Nembhard can get his own shot, but our scoring rate certainly declines when he's the guy who shoots

Eight

Yeah I wouldn't add RJ into the mix. He's a volume shooter (ie low %) and hurts our offense when he takes shots. Obviously you can't have Bane, Samuel, Grayer and Farabello take all the shots, and Nembhard can get his own shot, but our scoring rate certainly declines when he's the guy who shoots

rj has improved from last year and he has shown flashes at times this year from outside, but his numbers are not good as a shooter.

for the year he is 36% from the floor and 30% from 3. conference play the numbers look a bit better at 37% from the floor and 39% from 3, but if you take out the 4-4 from 3 in the last 5 minutes of regulation and the overtime period of the isu game he is 29% from 3.

some will accuse me of cherry picking numbers, but in 190+ minutes of conference play he is 29% from the floor which matches his effort from that area for not only this year, but last year.

he is very effective going to the basket, but i do agree the ball movement tends to stop when he and dennis start taking a large number of shots.

i don't expect the offense to revert to the days of vlad, but i have never undestood how samuel isn't getting 8-`10 shots a game when the frogs have rarely faced and will rarely face a big who can physically match kevin in the low post.

yes, his free throw shooting is terrible and he does turnover it over at times, but he shooting 58% from the floor in conference play and the only player on the roster shooting from 3 at a percentage that makes more sense is bane.

CountryFrog

Honestly - comes down to Bane and Samuel. If those guys perform at that level, we will win a lot of games. When they don't, we typically lose. The team did appear to be much more cohesive last night in terms of offensive and defensive strategy.
Lot of truth in this. We can talk execution, ball movement, switching, rebounding, etc but basketball games ultimately come down to making shots. If your top guys are playing well and putting it in the basket then everything else is a lot better. When they're not then you're probably going to struggle.

CountryFrog

RJ is a guy who can pick up the scoring slack in occasional games if Bane is cold or in foul trouble like against ISU. He's improved from last year but still not to the point where you can count on him for consistent offense every night.

Now if/when Bane and RJ both have it going at the same time then we could beat just about anyone.

Eight

RJ is a guy who can pick up the scoring slack in occasional games if Bane is cold or in foul trouble like against ISU. He's improved from last year but still not to the point where you can count on him for consistent offense every night.

Now if/when Bane and RJ both have it going at the same time then we could beat just about anyone.

rj has improved a great deal on the offensive end. when he put the ball on the floor last year there was as good a chance he was going to turn it over as anything else.

this year when he aggressively drives to the basic there is a good chance he is going to get the basic or force a foul and he has shown at times good instincts passing the ball off the drive.

shooting the ball from 3 and trying to create something offensively from 22'+ are not strengths, but in all honesty aside from bane this year most of the team has struggled from three and i really wish we saw the frogs more aggressive going to the basic as well as an effort to play with a bit of tempo.

rj is just one of a number of frogs who play well in the open court and struggle in a slowed down offense.

one reason why i wish kevin would get a few more touches down low versus his trying to set screens out above the key. opponents have to find bane and if samuel can provide a consistent low post threat that should open some space for the other frogs on the floor

4th. down

Except he was mostly awful last night. Did hit a big bucket late though.

Yes, but he can get hot and he has improved immensely since last season. If Fuller and Bello improve next season as much as RJ has this season, we should be pleased. His fg % is not that great but he is 2nd. on the team in minutes as Jamie must see something in him. Believe he will continue to get better with his shot.

Last edited:

4th. down

When Samuel wants to play and Jamie lets him play in the paint, it changes the whole dynamics of our offense for the better IMO. He seems much, much, more effective around the paint rather than setting picks around the 3 pt. line. Let LeeDee or Smith set picks, Samuel can be a force for the inside game, scoring, and offensive rebounding and he is just getting better when you let him be more involved. [ Finebaum ], I don't know anything, better hang up.

Purp

When Samuel wants to play and Jamie lets him play in the paint, it changes the whole dynamics of our offense for the better IMO. He seems much, much, more effective around the paint rather than setting picks around the 3 pt. line. Let LeeDee or Smith set picks, Samuel can be a force for the inside game, scoring, and offensive rebounding and he is just getting better when you let him be more involved. [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ], I don't know anything, better hang up.
Kevin gets tons of space rolling off of picks. That's not something we should stop doing. We need to be better about finding him after he rolls (RJ missed several opportunities for this against Tech) and he needs to be better about catching it when we do find him.

4th. down

Kevin gets tons of space rolling off of picks. That's not something we should stop doing. We need to be better about finding him after he rolls (RJ missed several opportunities for this against Tech) and he needs to be better about catching it when we do find him.

Well at least you and Jamie are on the same page.

TRF51

RJ is way better this year then he was last year, next year if he puts the work in like the did this year he could be very good. I am more and more impressed with Smith or whatever his name is (10, the freshman). I think he could be another guy to expect big things from. He started out rough but I see the talent. I like this team this year and IA think we can be really good next year but Kevin needs to stay, Bane scores the most but Kevin stirs the pot for this team with rebounding and defense.