• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Texas Tech Game Thread

Skip Jansen

It's basketball. Teams go on runs, especially good teams like Tech. I guess to me a 3 possession lead still seems like a solid lead.

Another difference was that Ed and Bello were on the floor together the last few minutes (unlike the Clemson game).

We discussed it at the time. Jamie made the proper changes. A lot more confident protecting a lead with that lineup.

Eight

one coaching move made by beard that i thought hurt tech was the line change rotation he had going where at designated points in the game.

understand with how hard they play defensively he makes the changes to keep players fresh, but i think it hurt them last night with ramsey. ramsey really wasn't involved in the offense early, got going when they stretched the lead to 7 or so, and then he got rotated out and never really seemed to find that same effectiveness on offense.

Skip Jansen

one coaching move made by beard that i thought hurt tech was the line change rotation he had going where at designated points in the game.

understand with how hard they play defensively he makes the changes to keep players fresh, but i think it hurt them last night with ramsey. ramsey really wasn't involved in the offense early, got going when they stretched the lead to 7 or so, and then he got rotated out and never really seemed to find that same effectiveness on offense.

TTU runs their perimeter action basically to get the opponent to switch so they can attack the switch (mismatch).

The Frogs did a great job of playing underneath them and cutting off their drives. That's the reason you saw TTU get later in the shot clock than usual. TCU staff basically said that if TTU can beat us from the 3 point line (late in the clock) then they deserve it,

Eight

TTU runs their perimeter action basically to get the opponent to switch so they can attack the switch (mismatch).

The Frogs did a great job of playing underneath them and cutting off their drives. That's the reason you saw TTU get later in the shot clock than usual. TCU staff basically said that if TTU can beat us from the 3 point line (late in the clock) then they deserve it,

i think as well as the frogs played offensively in the second half that might have been exceeded by the defensive effort in the second half

Eight

I agree. The first five minutes of the 2nd half was probably the best the Frogs have been.

Did it all without getting much from RJ and Jaire either (RJ did hit a big 3 later).

I think that shows the potential of this team.

the defensive effort has been there all year so that wasn't that big a change to me, but the decisions made on the offensive end to not force the 3's and attack inside were significant.

they had similar advantages with kevin inside and not taken the game to the opponents interior defense, smith moving to the basket was hopefully a revelation to him he can make an impact inside the arc, and i was very glad to a see a team that really hasn't shot the ball well from 3 in conference play outside of bane tried a new way to attack an opponent.

Skip Jansen

We honestly have tons of potential.

I dont believe that people realize that.

Smith looks V talented. Fuller can get by anybody.

I agree with all of this.

The biggest thing I've seen from the Freshmen is that they have not played tentatively.

-Have they made the right play every time? No.
-Have they made the right decision every time? No

But, they've stayed aggressive for the most part. They're playing through their mistakes and that's gonna pay huge dividends down the road.

Eight

We honestly have tons of potential.

I dont believe that people realize that.

Smith looks V talented. Fuller can get by anybody.

the frustration for me has been you could see the potential, but too much emphasis at times on what the players MIGHT be able to accomplish on the floor to what they can do on the floor.

smith last night was a perfect example. instead of firing away ineffectively behind the 3-point line he attacked inside and was very effective.

i realize some talk about his potential to shoot the 3 but am some point the potential has to give way to what can be executed on a regular basis.

the same with fuller, i very much agree that going to the basket he creates problems for opponents and shooting 3's right now he creates problems for the frogs.

every remaining game won't be like last night and tcu won't have the size advantage they had on tech, but the best part of last night was not the size advantage. tcu has had that before in other games and not hammered the opponent with that advantage.

last night however a conscious decision was made to exploit a weakness in the tech defense instead of forcing 3's and hoping someone besides desmond got hot