• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes coaching opportunities

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That last sentence is rather ironic, being that SMU's entire team this year was acquired through the portal
The sentence in question refers to the problems a Big Time Program has with player retention. Thus illustrating the point that the SMU job ain't so bad compared to the pressure of a Big Time job...

flyfishingfrog

interesting question you close with about the time it would take for the ideal job to open for him.

in respect to pay, morris was making just over $2M a year at smu and i would find it tough to believe sonny would get less.
I am guessing Sonny makes about the same but I bet he makes a little less since he was effectively unemployed last year

but that is a long way from the $4 mil+ that any P5 program could offer him to get him to move if the wanted

I do think the biggest question is if anything he would really want opens up at the right time - loyalty kept Gary here but so did some really good luck for TCU on timing - only a few real opportunities that GP would seriously consider opened at a time where he was vulnerable to leave

flyfishingfrog

agreed, though i think his being a bit older at 50 and having already been at a p5 program the lure might not be as strong for sonny
I think Sonny is only 49 but I honestly do agree he may have one more move in him if it’s in the next 3-4 years or he will probably settle in

Frozen Frog

Why should Dykes leave SMU? SMU needs a coach like Patterson that wants to commit to the school. I think Dykes learned a ton from Patterson, and committing to a place has its advantages. SMU is in a great location with improved facilities. It's not a P5 job, but I would imagine Chad Morris might be wondering why he left SMU right now.

Christcu

pathway to fill immediate needs that i believe he will continue to use to address specific needs.

dykes understands the potential to his program allowed by the portal and has allocated resources to maximize the benefit to his program.

i think you will also see smu become a much bigger player in the metroplex for that group of quality recruits who might be overlooked, but talented through the hiring of ra'shaad samples and his connections in the area as well as his father's influence.

the frogs have lost ground in the metroplex and when i see what smu has done in recruiting the metroplex with their staff hires with samples, nady, jordan, and hossain compared to the frogs i think sonny is building the type of program that might stay around a bit of time.
SMUTPU .... please use their correct name

HG73

Sonny is gone just as soon as a better deal comes along. Maybe before the end of this year if he keeps winning. smu is no destination job and it's not even a 'bide your time until something better comes along' job. They caught lightning in a bottle with this new transfer portal.

Sonny is smart and a good guy and will be gone as soon as a job he likes opens up.

Hemingway

one thing they do which no one hear seems to have noticed is a coaching staff that was built to recruit and specifically recruit the metroplex

ra'shaad samples played at skyline for he dad reginald who is now at ducanville and has ties throughout the metropx.

jeff jordan was a long time coach in garland and has very strong ties to the thsca

scott nady built the dallas episcopal program and has ties throughout the public and private school systems in the metroplex

blake brockemeyer is an analyst and brings connections to ft worth.

they brought in the guy who ran the internal operations for ou's recruiting.

multiple of their staff (coaches, support, analyst) have worked in the state of texas with ties throughout the state and 5-6 of their staffers currently support recruiting .

tcu didn't evolve their recruiting until luper came to campus and have taken some steps backward.

believe as you wish, but talking to friends who coach in high school at programs that have college coaches stopping by on a regular basis tcu is not a program that is pushing to make the inroads like baylor and smu are right now and if anyone believes the tcu brand is established is solely mistaken.

there have been some serious missteps the past few seasons and you can see it by the lack of presence in the metroplex recruiting.

Dude, you think these guys won’t take this recruiting show to another place? This is a greener pastures business. These guys are for self advancement. Sonny could be keeping the whole staff together on a promise of bigger things to come. They might leave regardless. We could hire one of them.

The TCU Football Jerk

Good lord fellas!!

smu is not and will not be his last job for Dykes. LOL at some of you guys already throwing TCU program away with ONE good year for smu. As if they are going to replace 21 years of sustained success of TCU's long game efforts in one freaking season of winning for them.

This isn't the TCU of old and this isn't Fort Worth of old either. Some of you guys need to lose the little man complex to a school that has one thing over us, academic rating. They have nothing else.

Everyone forgets we're in a much better conference too.

Eight

Dude, you think these guys won’t take this recruiting show to another place? This is a greener pastures business. These guys are for self advancement. Sonny could be keeping the whole staff together on a promise of bigger things to come. They might leave regardless. We could hire one of them.

samples would be the hire that i would suspect leaves smu if he pans out in recruiting.

as far as hiring one of hossain, jordan, or nagy? all for it as with bringing brockemire on as an analyst, but i don't see that happening.

Frawg

SMU consciously markets themselves as a city college with their JC uniforms boasting they’re from Dallas. Dykes will simply milk them until Gary decides to retire or the numbnut in Lubbuck gets canned. IMO.

flyfishingfrog

maybe - but you do have to give him credit for focusing on transfer portal candidates that were largely from DFW and selling them the idea of coming "home" and getting to start.

You aren't going to find the "home" side of that in Lubbock or Stillwater or wherever very often. Without that you have the same sales pitch every other team has - which is the player is a better fit and has a chance of starting/more playing time at your school

westoverhillbilly

Let's keep in mind that even though SMU is in a good location for recruiting and is ahead on portal player strategy for the time being, it's still a putridly low fan base program even when compared to our program in the previous two decades which won't sustain itself like Boise State or TCU or Utah.. If they do make a New Years day bowl this year and take their core 3,000 to max 8,000 fans, they will have no crowd energy and the every bowl representative will pray that SMU doesn't land in their NY day bowl- even more than landing Baylor.

I would be very surprised if Dykes can't wait to bail out of there.. Sure he's going to say he loves it there- all coaches give some rendition of Fran's "We're home" speak in one way or another.

Eight

Let's keep in mind that even though SMU is in a good location for recruiting and is ahead on portal player strategy for the time being, it's still a putridly low fan base program even when compared to our program in the previous two decades which won't sustain itself like Boise State or TCU or Utah.. If they do make a New Years day bowl this year and take their core 3,000 to max 8,000 fans, they will have no crowd energy and the every bowl representative will pray that SMU doesn't land in their NY day bowl- even more than landing Baylor.

I would be very surprised if Dykes can't wait to bail out of there.. Sure he's going to say he loves it there- all coaches give some rendition of Fran's "We're home" speak in one way or another.

isn't this what they said about gary at tcu?