• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes coaching opportunities

CountryFrog

not trying to be funny, but the closest thing i can think of is sonny's dad spike who was at tech 13-14 years.

i think sonny has been around the college game a very long time with his dad's time at tech and his time as well, he will turn 50 in november, and the question becomes what do you want to accomplish in what is the back part of your career?

let's say smu runs the table and ends the season undefeated. what truly elite job is going to open up?

usc? maybe, but sonny wasn't comfortable in no cal and while so cal is different it isn't texas for sonny.

michigan? seriously, what truly great job will come open and do you want to leave a school that is willing to give you what you need to be competitive and pay you well with very little pressure for say mississippi state?

sonny saw up close the job his dad had in lubbock and gary has in ft worth where they were basically insulated from the pressures of p5 jobs.

steele raised the question and in part i am not sure i disagree that some of the advantages tcu had tin the mwc are gone and aren't coming back.

smu is in a great recruiting area, will never get the primary media focus which isn't a bad thing, appears willing to fund the program, and in the aac isn't having to fight schools with bottomless pockets.
It does ultimately come down to his personal preference so who knows. It would just be a nearly unprecedented thing.

Froggish

dykes doesn't have to out recruit tcu or take kids from texas or ou.

he needs to out recruit the other aac teams and then once a year out coach and have his team out play tcu.

really not that far off the model gary used at tcu and smu can do that by recruiting the hell out of that 51-100 on the top metroplex recruits and establishing relationships with the kids who do go elsewhere and decide to transfer back home.

SMU doesn’t have to out recruit the Big 12 with Freshman...they just need to continue to win the transfer portal game..If they can do that they can consistently with 9-10..If you can’t recruit 4 starsies out of HS you apparently can make a nice living in the secondary markets

Limey Frog

I have never seen grown ass men freak out over half a season and start wetting the bed like I have seen in this thread.

At this point TCU football has been terrible for two seasons. That's what I'm freaking out over. I'm not freaking out over SMU, personally. I'm cheering for them. There's plenty of talent in the state for everyone. We aren't now nor will be in future losing out in any measurable way because SMU is, can, or will "out-recruit" us. We're losing out because our coaching is a disaster. Presently theirs seems to be very strong, and they serve as a stinging rebuke to a head coach in Fort Worth who--if the fire in his belly hasn't entirely gone out--should be comparatively ashamed of what has happened at TCU during the past two seasons.

This isn't about SMU, it's about us.

ECM

I don’t know if Sonny will stay at SMU forever; I do think he would have to be blown away by an offer to leave, though. He and his wife love the Park Cities, where he makes great $ (and will get a fat raise after this season) to coach a job which is pretty low pressure relative to the rest of the CFB world. He’s already taken the P5 leap at Cal and it didn’t work out all that well.

As for who will be the QB when Buechele leaves after the 2020 season, I present you with this: https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Stone-46039887/

netty2424

I don’t know if Sonny will stay at SMU forever; I do think he would have to be blown away by an offer to leave, though. He and his wife love the Park Cities, where he makes great $ (and will get a fat raise after this season) to coach a job which is pretty low pressure relative to the rest of the CFB world. He’s already taken the P5 leap at Cal and it didn’t work out all that well.

As for who will be the QB when Buechele leaves after the 2020 season, I present you with this: https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Stone-46039887/
I don’t know ship about that kid, and he may never amount to ship, but if he’s a borderline 5 star and he chooses SMU over any other top P5 school like Alabama or Auburn(on his offer list), SMU will not only be the first and only program to ever receive the death penalty, they’ll be the first program to receive the death penalty for the second time!

I see there is a CB for him to SMU but that is one heck of an offer list. What makes you think he ends up at SMU?

ECM

I see there is a CB for him to SMU but that is one heck of an offer list. What makes you think he ends up at SMU?
His dad went to SMU, his brother will be preferred walk on next year, and he’s been at almost every game and a frequent visitor at practices as well. Supposedly it was between us and Texas and UT ending up taking another 2021 QB. I’m still in the position of “I’ll believe it when I see it” but supposedly we have the inside track.

Eight

His dad went to SMU, his brother will be preferred walk on next year, and he’s been at almost every game and a frequent visitor at practices as well. Supposedly it was between us and Texas and UT ending up taking another 2021 QB. I’m still in the position of “I’ll believe it when I see it” but supposedly we have the inside track.

dykes also hired the coach who basically built the episcopal football program

wilson912

well, he’s 8-0 right now. I can’t imagine him not using this as springboard to greener pastures. Sending smu back down. Tennessee will need a coach, maybe Arkansas too. ACC will have Miami and maybe FSU if taggert loses 2 more games. Okie State if the Mullet moves on.

Any other ideas where this guy lands?
He says he’s learned a lot from Gary. Maybe follow HCGP’s example and stay put and make a legacy and a little money!!

YA

SMU doesn’t have to out recruit the Big 12 with Freshman...they just need to continue to win the transfer portal game..If they can do that they can consistently with 9-10..If you can’t recruit 4 starsies out of HS you apparently can make a nice living in the secondary markets
Supposedly TCU is keeping some scholarships open for portal and grad transfers.