• The KillerFrogs

You can’t logically be mad at Cumbie and NOT GP also

CountryFrog

Not saying our D had a great game, but I gotta to be honest. Through almost the entire first half the offense hung the defense out to dry. We had 1 complete pass and three fumbles in negative territory on a 90 degree day. It felt that to me the defense had done it’s darn best to keep the game somewhat close. It should be no surprise they melted down in the second half.
I was thinking the same thing in the first half until the defense let SMU go down the field for 2 straight TD's right before halftime when our offense was finally showing signs of life (at least in the running game). If we at least just give up FG's on those drives then it's 24-17 at half and that's much better than 31-17. Plus the first drive of the game where we're down 7-0 just a couple minutes in.

You can't expect the defense to play perfect, obviously, especially with all the offensive mistakes in the first half, but they were just flat out bad for most of the game.

Moose Stuff

I was thinking the same thing in the first half until the defense let SMU go down the field for 2 straight TD's right before halftime when our offense was finally showing signs of life (at least in the running game). If we at least just give up FG's on those drives then it's 24-17 at half and that's much better than 31-17. Plus the first drive of the game where we're down 7-0 just a couple minutes in.

You can't expect the defense to play perfect, obviously, especially with all the offensive mistakes in the first half, but they were just flat out bad for most of the game.

The drive after the Sewo pass fiasco was awful as well. A good GP defense stuffs them and gets us the ball right back. This one got us the ball right back, we were just down 7 more points when they did.

TCUWIN

How many here would predict a win if I said we would score 38 against SMU today? At least 99%?

GP was schooled today by Dykes. We weren’t ready for trick plays. We weren’t ready for how physical SMU played. We weren’t ready for what seems like half the plays today because it takes so darn long to get our coverages called.

Multiple times today our guys were out of position or looking to the sideline as the ball was snapped and we gave up a chunk of yards.

If you think it sucks to score 38 and lose to SMU, wait til we score 38 in Norman and give up 62! We gotta get better on defense and offense because today exposed them both (and really, maybe the defense more than the offense).

Agree 100% with 95% of what you said. My question is how are we going to score 38 against Oklahoma unless the defense plays lights out and gives this weak offense a very short field time and again. This offense scores 15 points maybe. 5 35-40 yard field goals feel about right. And I still think they score 62. This is going to be another long disappointing season if big changes are not made by players and coaches.

4th. down

Agree 100% with 95% of what you said. My question is how are we going to score 38 against Oklahoma unless the defense plays lights out and gives this weak offense a very short field time and again. This offense scores 15 points maybe. 5 35-40 yard field goals feel about right. And I still think they score 62. This is going to be another long disappointing season if big changes are not made by players and coaches.

Sorry, there is not time for big changes. Besides, GP won't make them. Look at the trend from 12 games last year thru 3 games this year - it ain't getting any better. Better hope we win 6.

TCUWIN

Sorry, there is not time for big changes. Besides, GP won't make them. Look at the trend from 12 games last year thru 3 games this year - it ain't getting any better. Better hope we win 6.
I agree. I’m not sure 6 wins are possible. I guess not making a bowl after so much preseason talk will force Patterson to make a change.

Pharm Frog

What I'll be watching for is to see if we start protecting defensive stats. One of the worst things that has happened is that OU's defense has gotten better and though it's early some other conference D's appear to have improved. Meanwhile, our D is 17th in the country presently. Not doing so great in red zone D.

Pharm Frog

Good post. But you seem to be holding Patterson accountable because the defense gave up too many points. I'll hold him accountable because he is the head coach of the ENTIRE TEAM. HE IS THE COACH OF THE ENTIRE TEAM, NOT JUST A GLORIFIED DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

Sorry for shouting.

Putting it in all caps doesn't make it so. He is who he is and has always been. To ask him to become a traditional head coach would be a failure from the start.

Moose Stuff

Not one person associated in any way with this program should spend one second believing we can compete with OU right now. Yeah, yeah, yeah...... the staff and team have to believe. I’m joking but they’d be better off just preparing for whoever we play the following week and not wasting any time on OU.

Excuses be damned....the reality being that the subpar effort put forth by Patterson, Cumbie and the entire team

was grossly unacceptable. Hopefully, this is not a precursor of things to come.

Froggish

We made a lot of coverage mistakes but they also won a ton of 50/50 deep balls. Gaines was brutal in his play of the TE and backs out of the backfield. What Buechele did like the vet that he is, was he continually made the right read and let his WRs win 50/50 balls. That was the main difference between He and Duggan....Our Freshman gets to the right read but he gets there to slow...

Oddly enough, and depending on our injury situation, I still think this is a 8-9 win football team..I know that sounds crazy but there were a lot of young players in the critical spots and they just got a wake up call.

Duggan, Stewart’s, Mathis, Hunt, Winters, Davis...There are probably 10 Fresh/RSF-Soph, playing critical roles for us on this team...They got put on blast yesterday

4th. down

Excuses be damned....the reality being that the subpar effort put forth by Patterson, Cumbie and the entire team

was grossly unacceptable. Hopefully, this is not a precursor of things to come.

Realistically, what do you see changing during the season - I don't see any significant changes until after the season is over and maybe not then. But......right now, Cumbie and Kelly are on the chopping block.

notyalc

Amidst the chaos I do thing that Duggan is about to get it. Something about that second to last drive seem to click.

SnoSki

46, 35, 23, 44, 16, 16, 16 and 38

Each one represents how many yards SMU gained on just one play each last night.

You can say that our offense spotted SMU a short field all you want... our defense also spotted them 35+ yards four separate times! We were ripped apart repeatedly and THAT is a major red flag I didn’t expect this year (except maybe vs OU).

Horny 4 Life

Based upon my past interactions with TCU offensive coaches at coaching clinics, I don't honestly believe that GP is "hands-off" on the O. If he were, we'd see a much different style of play and Alex Delton wouldn't be seeing the field.

Duggan is still learning. He's shown a lot of positive signs, IMO. The issues so far, even the overthrown halls, are correctable. The issue is that it takes tons of reps to correct them and he didn't get those pre-season. Cumbie is absolutely right about letting Duggan start and play through his issues. That's what needs to happen, even if there are more big bumps along the way.

West Coast Johnny

Putting it in all caps doesn't make it so. He is who he is and has always been. To ask him to become a traditional head coach would be a failure from the start.
Sorry, not accepting that anyone other than Patterson is responsible. He's the coach of the whole team and when we stink up the place, he is to blame... not the coordinators.

Wexahu

Based upon my past interactions with TCU offensive coaches at coaching clinics, I don't honestly believe that GP is "hands-off" on the O. If he were, we'd see a much different style of play and Alex Delton wouldn't be seeing the field.

Duggan is still learning. He's shown a lot of positive signs, IMO. The issues so far, even the overthrown halls, are correctable. The issue is that it takes tons of reps to correct them and he didn't get those pre-season. Cumbie is absolutely right about letting Duggan start and play through his issues. That's what needs to happen, even if there are more big bumps along the way.

You’re suggesting that Delton wouldn’t be playing at all if GP took control of the offense? Ok, but I’d say most people think it’s the opposite of that. Personally, I don’t know who wants who to play but it would seem from GP’s comments he’s more in Delton’s corner than anything.

Horny 4 Life

You’re suggesting that Delton wouldn’t be playing at all if GP took control of the offense? Ok, but I’d say most people think it’s the opposite of that. Personally, I don’t know who wants who to play but it would seem from GP’s comments he’s more in Delton’s corner than anything.

No, I'm saying the only reason Delton is playing is because GP is making Cumbie play him. If GP was in fact letting the O coaches operate with full autonomy, which a lot of people on this board claim is the case, then Delton wouldn't be playing and probably wouldn't even be at TCU.