• The KillerFrogs

You can’t logically be mad at Cumbie and NOT GP also

Wexahu

No, I'm saying the only reason Delton is playing is because GP is making Cumbie play him. If GP was in fact letting the O coaches operate with full autonomy, which a lot of people on this board claim is the case, then Delton wouldn't be playing and probably wouldn't even be at TCU.

Oh ok, got it. Makes sense after reading it again. I’d add that I hope the reason Collins isn’t playing is because he’s hurt or been terrible at practice. If it’s because he’s not a pet/prized recruit that would be disappointing to say the least.

Horny 4 Life

Oh ok, got it. Makes sense after reading it again. I’d add that I hope the reason Collins isn’t playing is because he’s hurt or been terrible at practice. If it’s because he’s not a pet/prized recruit that would be disappointing to say the least.
I agree about Collins' opportunities. However, I like what I've seen from Duggan this year more than what I saw from Collins last year, so I think Duggan has simply beat him out.

Pharm Frog

Sorry, not accepting that anyone other than Patterson is responsible. He's the coach of the whole team and when we stink up the place, he is to blame... not the coordinators.

I don’t disagree that’s the way it should work but that’s not what we signed up for as a program. We know what we have and it’s very unique. I think it also sets a different ceiling than other models.

West Coast Johnny

I don’t disagree that’s the way it should work but that’s not what we signed up for as a program. We know what we have and it’s very unique. I think it also sets a different ceiling than other models.
When you say it sets a different ceiling, you mean that are ceiling is lower? So we can't compete for a national title with our current head coach?

Pharm Frog

When you say it sets a different ceiling, you mean that are ceiling is lower? So we can't compete for a national title with our current head coach?

I think the margin for error is significantly smaller depending on how you define the word “compete”. One way to look at it is are we getting closer or further away and what are our competitors doing (getting better, static, or worse). But no...I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a National Championship in this arrangement. Can we “compete”? Of course

Eight

Not saying our D had a great game, but I gotta to be honest. Through almost the entire first half the offense hung the defense out to dry. We had 1 complete pass and three fumbles in negative territory on a 90 degree day. It felt that to me the defense had done it’s darn best to keep the game somewhat close. It should be no surprise they melted down in the second half.

which game were you watching, smu got the ball first and scored on that drive, hell, smu scored 5 times in the freaking first half and yes one was on a very short field. right after the defense let smu roll down the field to the smu goal line where the defense had a stop.

i really don't know what game some of your were watching, really don't know if you were black out drunk, or you are afraid of saying bad things about gary, but the defense played BAD yesterday RIGHT FROM THE FREAKING START.

jeremy clark has it laid out very well in an article, but some of you are just going to deny and blame it all on cumbie.

Eight

No, I'm saying the only reason Delton is playing is because GP is making Cumbie play him. If GP was in fact letting the O coaches operate with full autonomy, which a lot of people on this board claim is the case, then Delton wouldn't be playing and probably wouldn't even be at TCU.

the elephant in the room that for some reason people can't see is that this isn't sonny cumbie's offense.

hell, why in the world is the run game centered around the zone read when you consider among tcu's quarterbacks are duggan, collins, baldwin, and rogers. the most mobile of which is duggan and no dc in the big 12 is up at night worried about him running the ball.

this run game is built for one quarterback and he can't throw the football, never posted big numbers against tcu, but some reason gary has talked up from day one the guy has been on campus

jeremy clark points out on 247 the offense was slowing the pace down because gary wanted to keep his defense off the field (i am sure jeremy will catch hell for that comment) and you can see times were duggan is just standing there staring at the freaking play clock.

finally, why did tcu change the play calls on the final drive? why go heavy on the run when they got back into the game throwing the ball?

does anyone here truly believe sonny decided it was better to go damn near exclusively with the zone read than continue throwing the football?

anyone thing gary might have had an arkansas 2016 flashback?

Wexahu

the elephant in the room that for some reason people can't see is that this isn't sonny cumbie's offense.

hell, why in the world is the run game centered around the zone read when you consider among tcu's quarterbacks are duggan, collins, baldwin, and rogers. the most mobile of which is duggan and no dc in the big 12 is up at night worried about him running the ball.

this run game is built for one quarterback and he can't throw the football, never posted big numbers against tcu, but some reason gary has talked up from day one the guy has been on campus

jeremy clark points out on 247 the offense was slowing the pace down because gary wanted to keep his defense off the field (i am sure jeremy will catch hell for that comment) and you can see times were duggan is just standing there staring at the freaking play clock.

finally, why did tcu change the play calls on the final drive? why go heavy on the run when they got back into the game throwing the ball?

does anyone here truly believe sonny decided it was better to go damn near exclusively with the zone read than continue throwing the football?

anyone thing gary might have had an arkansas 2016 flashback?

I think we ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down to burn some clock, if that is what you are getting at. Can’t say I completely disagree with that philosophy though. I definitely would have run it on 1st down at least especially since the passing game is so wildly inconsistent.

BABYFACE

Didn’t read every line of this thread so, sorry if this has been mentioned already.

It came to my

I think it’s tough how the tv cameras only see the aide of the stadium that bakes in the sun on day games in September.

The crowd was decent given the opponent, the temps and the circumstances around our team.

Obviously I wish it was difficult to find a seat for every game but we aren’t the only ones facing these issues. Ours are just more apparent because the tv cameras are all mounted on the shady side where a lot
more of ours fans are.

The attendance for APB was much better. Students bailed on the team at halftime. The student section has been good for the most part but not yesterday. Higher percentage of them bailed than the rest of the disappointing crowd.

I thought the students were great at the APB game.

Eight

I think we ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down to burn some clock, if that is what you are getting at. Can’t say I completely disagree with that philosophy though. I definitely would have run it on 1st down at least especially since the passing game is so wildly inconsistent.

except that it was through the tempo and the passing game frogs came back and in all honesty killing time should not have been a priority of getting points.

steelfrog

Tier 1
t

?

The SMU announcers made comment on our O being "in no hurry" which they thought was dumb because we had them off balance and they were gassing.

Gary has a history of trying to burnish his D

Wexahu

except that it was through the tempo and the passing game frogs came back and in all honesty killing time should not have been a priority of getting points.

Hard to argue with that. It did cross my mind though that it would’ve been nice if there were 1:30 on the clock instead of 2:30 or whatever there was. Probably asinine thinking on my part in hindsight.

Eight

Hard to argue with that. It did cross my mind though that it would’ve been nice if there were 1:30 on the clock instead of 2:30 or whatever there was. Probably asinine thinking on my part in hindsight.

no, i think it is easier to think through all those types of things when you have time.

coaching in a game is freaking hard when you consider all the information they have to considered and make decisions in a very short period of time. i just think we saw tcu change what got them back into the game in a cart coming before the horse scenario

Last edited:

Long Time Lurker

I think the margin for error is significantly smaller depending on how you define the word “compete”. One way to look at it is are we getting closer or further away and what are our competitors doing (getting better, static, or worse). But no...I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a National Championship in this arrangement. Can we “compete”? Of course
Thanks for the explanation. I was gonna ask about it in the other thread. What do you think about Matt Campbell being our new head coach. When Gary retires, of course.

frog-hat

If Sonny talked like his head coach when asked about getting Duggan in rhythm early.
“Well it was clear from the start they couldn’t stop them. I gave it to my 2 senior RBs and they fumbled. By the time I looked up it was 15-0 because they couldn’t defend an extra point.we didn’t have time to ease him in. We just had to try to grow him up on the fly. Now we’ve got to get ready for Kansas”

y2kFrog

which game were you watching, smu got the ball first and scored on that drive, hell, smu scored 5 times in the freaking first half and yes one was on a very short field. right after the defense let smu roll down the field to the smu goal line where the defense had a stop.

i really don't know what game some of your were watching, really don't know if you were black out drunk, or you are afraid of saying bad things about gary, but the defense played BAD yesterday RIGHT FROM THE FREAKING START.

jeremy clark has it laid out very well in an article, but some of you are just going to deny and blame it all on cumbie.

I am not saying the defense played well yesterday at all. However, this offense looks completely uncoached. We turned the ball over 3 times inside the 30 yard line. Receivers have no clue what routes they should be running, our QB can’t hold on the ball, and we made ridiculous red zone calls. The defense held remarkably well at Purdue despite the same stuff going. They were not going to be able to hold on forever. This is not a new problem either. It’s just a continuation of the same junk from last year.

Eight

I am not saying the defense played well yesterday at all. However, this offense looks completely uncoached. We turned the ball over 3 times inside the 30 yard line. Receivers have no clue what routes they should be running, our QB can’t hold on the ball, and we made ridiculous red zone calls. The defense held remarkably well at Purdue despite the same stuff going. They were not going to be able to hold on forever. This is not a new problem either. It’s just a continuation of the same junk from last year.

wait, the same purdue game that the offense ran for 300+ yards.

how many times did tcu turn the ball over that game?

Eight

I’m confused. Are you trying to say everything is ok with the offense?

never said that, but you said you saw the same problems with the offense in the purdue game when i actually saw a completely different set of problems.

consider the passing game. against purdue max missed throws and the receivers dropped throws, but one thing the frogs did have were receivers that were open for max to throw the ball.

smu that wasn't the issue. i haven't rewatched the game, but for some reason it seemed to me in the first half tcu decided that all throws had to be made either along the line of scrimmage or outside the hash marks.

i don't recall the seam routes, i don't recall any real throws between the hashes other than the pass to dylan thomas for much of the early game.

purdue game issues can be fixed. smu passing game issues are a bigger concern because it looked like we dialed back the passing game until the frogs had to get back into the game. that to me doesn't come from sonny.

still planting of issues such as no rub routes against the man coverage, not stacking receivers to help the press coverage, and moving reagor to the slot.