• The KillerFrogs

You can’t logically be mad at Cumbie and NOT GP also

SnoSki

How many here would predict a win if I said we would score 38 against SMU today? At least 99%?

GP was schooled today by Dykes. We weren’t ready for trick plays. We weren’t ready for how physical SMU played. We weren’t ready for what seems like half the plays today because it takes so darn long to get our coverages called.

Multiple times today our guys were out of position or looking to the sideline as the ball was snapped and we gave up a chunk of yards.

If you think it sucks to score 38 and lose to SMU, wait til we score 38 in Norman and give up 62! We gotta get better on defense and offense because today exposed them both (and really, maybe the defense more than the offense).

texas_sicilian

How many here would predict a win if I said we would score 38 against SMU today? At least 99%?

GP was schooled today by Dykes. We weren’t ready for trick plays. We weren’t ready for how physical SMU played. We weren’t ready for what seems like half the plays today because it takes so darn long to get our coverages called.

Multiple times today our guys were out of position or looking to the sideline as the ball was snapped and we gave up a chunk of yards.

If you think it sucks to score 38 and lose to SMU, wait til we score 38 in Norman and give up 62! We gotta get better on defense and offense because today exposed them both (and really, maybe the defense more than the offense).
I would like to think it’s that straightforward, but in my humble opinion, crap call after crap call on O, turnover after turnover on O, wore our defense down. I need to go back and analyze the stats, but the first half performance on offense seemed to utterly deflate the team. It certainly did me.

MTfrog5

I will say, we’ve said it a lot over the years that the offense gets some momentum and then when we need a stop they march down the field and score a TD. Happened multiple times again today

Genbukan

I would like to think it’s that straightforward, but in my humble opinion, crap call after crap call on O, turnover after turnover on O, wore our defense down. I need to go back and analyze the stats, but the first half performance on offense seemed to utterly deflate the team. It certainly did me.

Wore our Defense down? We were down 15 7 and a half minutes into the game.

Not happy about either side of the ball. Yes smu is better than they have been....buts that's an extremely low hurdle. If we want to justify losing a home game to a G5 team then it seems we have lowered our goals and expectations significantly.

The D was terrible. Our offense, while not outright terrible, was inefficient and sloppy.

And some of the things we are seeing have been an issue for multiple years. At a certain point its beyond the realm of probability to be young, injured, careless, sloppy, outplayed and outcoached every year.

Hope I'm wrong but this game gave me zero reason to be optimistic about the rest of the year.

SnoSki

The short field was definitely a major player for SMU today, at least early on.

CountryFrog

There's a lot of truth in this, but another thing that wore our defense down was not getting stops on 3rd down.

Dogfrog

Its about body of work. GP's defenses have bad games occasionally but overall that side of the ball is typically a strength. Cumbie's body of work is less than stellar and it looks like Boykin and Doctson made him a lot of money he doesn't deserve, based on his body of work as an OC.

Problem is SC is only an offensive coordinator. Gary is the head coach. Sonny’s performance is a key part of GP’s body of work and GP is ultimately accountable.

GP needs a DC and some defensive minds on staff that will talk back to him and not be yes guys. Everyone on his defensive staff is learning from Patterson, no people on his staff to give some new insight. Sure his staff is good. But you need to have other voices that are very experienced to add a different flavor in game planning and with adjustments.

Same with offensive coordinator and staff. Got to get some experience. Dykes taught Cumbie. The gameplan today had no creativity or anything different that Dykes hasn't already seen or taught Cumbie. Time to bring in some guys with a new twist on offense.

steelfrog

Tier 1
GP needs a DC and some defensive minds on staff that will talk back to him and not be yes guys. Everyone on his defensive staff is learning from Patterson, no people on his staff to give some new insight. Sure his staff is good. But you need to have other voices that are very experienced to add a different flavor in game planning and with adjustments.

Same with offensive coordinator and staff. Got to get some experience. Dykes taught Cumbie. The gameplan today had no creativity or anything different that Dykes hasn't already seen or taught Cumbie. Time to bring in some guys with a new twist on offense.

This is exactly right. One of GP’s weird quirks is he is super suspicious of people who disagree with him. Perceives them as being disloyal. I mean what man with any balls let’s a raging maniac follow him around screaming in public (Cumbie, and Meacham before him). I’d punch the A hole in his face. The fact is they are all running scared around him. The money is such they don’t dare contradict. Players too for that matter. Had lunch with a 4 year starter on the D line who was playing semi pro football out in midland and he said GP hardly ever talked to him and that’s the way he (the player) liked it

College football is a dirty business

Mean Purple

I saw where Cumbie went before the media. Did not like how GP kinda left him to it all. He shares the blame.
There was a comment at a press event earlier in the year. (Can't remember if it was media days or what), but just made me wonder if they have been given some pressure to produce.

Mean Purple

This is exactly right. One of GP’s weird quirks is he is super suspicious of people who disagree with him. Perceives them as being disloyal. I mean what man with any balls let’s a raging maniac follow him around screaming in public (Cumbie, and Meacham before him). I’d punch the A hole in his face. The fact is they are all running scared around him. The money is such they don’t dare contradict. Players too for that matter. Had lunch with a 4 year starter on the D line who was playing semi pro football out in midland and he said GP hardly ever talked to him and that’s the way he (the player) liked it

College football is a dirty business
What was that part in the Mac article about him "firing" coaches in practice? I'm sure he was not really firing guys but I can imagine people getting edgy or what have you.