#BAYLORTEARS

Mean Purple

1. FW
2. EL Paso
3. Houston
4. Austin/San Antonio
5. Alpine
6. San Angelo
Waco is just below Beaumont near the bottom of a long list. It was tied with BM until Leslie’s Chicken Shack closed about 20 years ago.
I would have to put Tyler in my top 5. Houston up there for sure. Fort Worth in the top 2 (my favorite "big" city).
I have never really had the opportunity to spend any real time in El Paso, but would like to.

Having lived in Waco for significant time, well, y'all can have it.

WhoDatFrog

Having grown up there there is quite a few special things about Houston. Not all good, but nowhere can claim that everything is great. You can fine more restaurants from more countries than anywhere in this country (I actually read that in a Chicago paper), every person that has gone to the moon lived in a Houston suburb, no presidents were ever killed there, every poisonous snake in North America can be found there, the British Consulate (at one time, not sure still) got hazard pay same as Bombay since the weather was similar, ZZ Top, flatter’n a pancake, summer air is like living in the mouth of a panting golden retriever, winters that are comfy, Santa Ana got caught in his jammies at San Jacinto, roaches that sound like a chinook coming in for a dust off and just as big, first domed stadium, nutrias to gators in the bayous, Archie Bell and Drells (cuz they dance just as good as they walk), no zoning, no drainage, first city from another planetoid, Texas’ biggest city and gaining on Chitown, Bulaich, Carpenter, Hughes to Dalton...

Liked for Archie Bell & the Drells!
Love the Tighten' Up!

Deep Purple

Not a fan of big cities in general. Fort Worth is the only one I really love.

Between Houston and Dallas, give me Houston -- reluctantly. That city genuinely drips with all the wealth and international flair that Dallas has pretensions to, but doesn't have near enough of. But unless forced to choose between the two, I wouldn't pick either.

El Paso and San Antonio are both fun, relaxed cities. Warm people. A little slower pace -- but that pace comes at a price. Things get done very slowly.

For 30 years, San Antonio has been toying with various plans to redevelop the carny atmosphere of Alamo Plaza into something more dignified and historically reflective of the original mission compound. They finally approved a plan in 2018 and say it will be completed by 2024, the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Alamo. I'll believe it when I see it.

Austin is a place for people who are way too concerned with being perceived as hip, cool, and progressive. That oh-so-conspicuous image-consciousness makes Austin almost as pretentious, in its own way, as Dallas.

Waco is the dumping ground of Texas. Any waste that slips past Waco winds up in Lubbock.

SwissArmyFrog

Austin is a place for people who are way too concerned with being perceived as hip, cool, and progressive. That oh-so-conspicuous image-consciousness makes Austin almost as pretentious, in its own way, as Dallas.

There are that many 'city image' pretentious people in Dallas? Or any city? Can a city actually be 'pretentious'? They'll always be those kinds of folks, of course, but they're such a tiny percentage of any city they're barely a blip on the day to day radar screen. Oh, you hear about them, maybe, or read something in the paper.

Austin's got quite a few people who like they're 'keep it weird' image, but that doesn't mean that entire group is pretentious about it, it just means they really like that image.

I'm sure Dallas has city image pretentious people. But their % is so tiny, and their impact so small (except for helping to fund some pretty cool places to experience culture - gotta give credit where it is due!), I can't imagine coming home from a day out and saying, "OMG, this is such a pretentious city!"

tcumaniac

Dork Warning:

I was lurking on the Baylor Fans board this afternoon curious as to how they felt their season was going to go, and I stumbled across a thread that was urging "The Baylor Line" (their freshmen students that wear the yellow jersey and run out on the field before the game) to stay for the entire game instead of leaving early.

Someone genuinely threw out this idea and it was very well received, getting the most likes of any post on the thread. They truly are a special breed:

"OK. Here is an idea that's been bouncing around in my head this summer waiting on CFB to start. Why not have tryouts with the Baylor Line and take one walk on freshmen player, give him the same number that is on all of the line jerseys(this year 23?). The Line's representative so to speak and make his only job to take the last snap in home games where we are at least 9 points up and take a knee. Might get more people including the line hang around just to see him come in for that last snap."

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/50604

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Dork Warning:

I was lurking on the Baylor Fans board this afternoon curious as to how they felt their season was going to go, and I stumbled across a thread that was urging "The Baylor Line" (their freshmen students that wear the yellow jersey and run out on the field before the game) to stay for the entire game instead of leaving early.

Someone genuinely threw out this idea and it was very well received, getting the most likes of any post on the thread. They truly are a special breed:

"OK. Here is an idea that's been bouncing around in my head this summer waiting on CFB to start. Why not have tryouts with the Baylor Line and take one walk on freshmen player, give him the same number that is on all of the line jerseys(this year 23?). The Line's representative so to speak and make his only job to take the last snap in home games where we are at least 9 points up and take a knee. Might get more people including the line hang around just to see him come in for that last snap."

source.gif

Froglaw

Mrs Pharm and Daughter of Pharm went to Six Flags today. Do not ask me why because I’d rather stick a ball point pen through my sternum. They said the Baylor football team was there. Had I known this before hand there would have been zero chance Mrs or Daughter would have been allowed in the greater Arlington area. I feel like there should have been warning signs along I-30.

Yep!

SwissArmyFrog

Just a reminder that our own Hal Jay said that "Waco" is an old indian expression for "Place to stop and pee on the way to Austin."

Any Indian expression must start with the words, "Heap big...".

So, the quote should read, "Place to stop and take heap big dump on way to Austin."

Last edited:

Deep Purple

Great. A Baylor knock-off of the Aggie 12th man.

Maybe, before every home game, they could wrap the Judge Baylor statue in green crepe paper. That way they could copy both the Aggies and the Sand Aggies.