• The KillerFrogs

PressBoxDFW: Why not Hurts to round out TCU's 2019 class?

CountryFrog

So it's you who has the keys to the Wayback Machine...

There is no doubt that TB2 improved mightily from 2013 to 2014. He also improved yet more from 2014 to 2015, until injury hobbled him.

The Manning Camp is a week of intensive QB work that focuses specifically on proper footwork, throwing mechanics, and field vision. It is famous, of course, due to the name and all, but the kids who go through it generally come out very much improved. Dalton attended, and he was very much a better player afterwards.

While the time Cumbie had to instruct Boykin and the other QBs on the roster was somewhat limited due to the time needed to instruct everyone on the new offense, it is evident that he was able to impart some smarts. For Boykin, it paid off enough that he was able to have a monster 2014 season, and get an invite to an exclusive Camp that few get the opportunity to attend.

Now, all that being said, it is evident that some guys don't get the message, and do not improve one whit. Regression is even seen. Whatever happened to the calm, cool and fairly collected Mule that we saw against Rape U. and OkSt.? He looked like he was wearing a shock-collar out there: three seconds, and ZZZZZT! He had lost every bit of the poise he had displayed just three short weeks ago. Finals didn't turn him into a panicking puddle of goo. Perhaps the pre-game buffet..?

I don't know what's going on with the Offense. All I can base a judgement on is their performance, and that has been lacking. Lots of people have opinions as to why, but the simple fact of the matter is that we were sub-par offensively. That deficiency is laid at the feet of the Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach. It is his responsibility to see that the Offensive unit is able to do it's job, and do it well.
So if Mule would've just gone to the Manning camp during the time between Ok St and Cal then we probably would've scored 30+ points.

Farmfrog

I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that Collins will be the guy next year. I just don’t think he can get you where you want to go ie a championship. I just don’t think he’s good enough to get you to your goals.

We very well won’t have that guy on campus next year as we start preparing for the season. Hoping for Rogers to be healthy and can win the job but there is very little certainty that will happen.

CountryFrog

I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that Collins will be the guy next year. I just don’t think he can get you where you want to go ie a championship. I just don’t think he’s good enough to get you to your goals.

We very well won’t have that guy on campus next year as we start preparing for the season. Hoping for Rogers to be healthy and can win the job but there is very little certainty that will happen.
How many times was that first paragraph uttered about Boykin a few years ago...

Wexahu

How many times was that first paragraph uttered about Boykin a few years ago...

I remember saying to myself more than a few times “he is just awful”. His turnaround almost seemed like a miracle, and it took me about 7-8 games to be a real believer. I guess anything can happen.

Eight

I remember saying to myself more than a few times “he is just awful”. His turnaround almost seemed like a miracle, and it took me about 7-8 games to be a real believer. I guess anything can happen.

possible, but boykin's situation doesn't quite fit for the upcoming season because not only had he red-shirted in 2011, but he had started a number of games at quarterback and had over 300 pass attempts prior to 2015

rogers, collins, and duggan combined don't have as many games played or pass attempts which is another reason to look for a grad-transfer quarterback

Eight

This program should be at a point where we don’t have to cringe when the next guy steps in.....hope we can get to that next hump

a big part of reaching that level in my mind is implementing, recruiting, and developing talent to fit an offensive system.

in my limited mind that hasn't always been the situation since joining the big 12 and partly the reason why this team is in the position it finds itself on the offensive side of the ball

CountryFrog

possible, but boykin's situation doesn't quite fit for the upcoming season because not only had he red-shirted in 2011, but he had started a number of games at quarterback and had over 300 pass attempts prior to 2015

rogers, collins, and duggan combined don't have as many games played or pass attempts which is another reason to look for a grad-transfer quarterback
It's clearly not the exact same situation. The only point I was making was that we don't know how good Collins or any of the other QBs on the roster will be. We just haven't seen nearly enough of them.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So if Mule would've just gone to the Manning camp during the time between Ok St and Cal then we probably would've scored 30+ points.

Ah, sarcasm...

So, you're saying that The Mule was uncoachable? Possessed of little to no talent? That no instruction, however intense or coherent, would have resulted in him advancing in effectiveness?

Wow. You're just a terrible Frog fan...

CountryFrog

Ah, sarcasm...

So, you're saying that The Mule was uncoachable? Possessed of little to no talent? That no instruction, however intense or coherent, would have resulted in him advancing in effectiveness?

Wow. You're just a terrible Frog fan...
How in the hell did you get any of that from anything I said?

flyfishingfrog

I agree, and the vast majority of the time that’s actually the case. But in fairness Muehlstein was more like the next next next guy.
lets face it - our current coaching staff has whiffed on every QB recruit to date including the use of the two they had come in the year they took over.

Sawyer, Muehl, Wooten, SR, ... whoever you want to list. The most success they have had is with Boykin, who they did not recruit and Hill, who was a transfer and allowed the coaches to not take a true HS recruit in 2015 at all - which is hurting us terribly now because we blew it with the two main guys the year before and every recruit since.

Let's hope they have a lot more success with JR and Duggan...

Last edited:

Wexahu

a big part of reaching that level in my mind is implementing, recruiting, and developing talent to fit an offensive system.

in my limited mind that hasn't always been the situation since joining the big 12 and partly the reason why this team is in the position it finds itself on the offensive side of the ball

In my amateur opinion there is a disconnect between what GP wants and the offensive system we have in place and that has been a major reason for the inconsistency. Just take the QB position... I think GP probably wants a dual-threat guy out there who is more of weapon with his feet because that's what he's struggled with in the past on the defensive side of the ball, but the Texas Tech/Air Raid system is a passing offense that works best with a pass-first guy, or even a pure passer. So we end up recruiting and favoring dual-threat guys that aren't all that suited for the offense the OC knows best, and because of that we're trying to make something work with ill-fitting parts. I'm not sure we even run the Air Raid, I'm pretty sure we don't, but I also know our offense has no identity because I have no idea what the heck we're trying to do way too often.

back_in_black

Moderators
The offense we saw the first half of 2017 is exactly what Gary wants. Power running to open up the pass. Our OL is so thin that until we recruit and develope more depth all it takes is one player going down to change the entire look of what we do. Happened in 2017 after Oklahoma State and happened this year early on. There’s a reason why we ran well against Cal. It was especially impressive given how good they are on defense and they knew we couldn’t throw with Reagor injured and a QB that couldn’t stand in the pocket.

Last edited:
It comes as no surprise that the predominant dilemma facing the Frogs in 2019 centers on the

need for a significant degree of improvement at both QB and OL. The answer to both of these

issues seems to revolve around the questions of health, maturity and availability of new talent.

Failure to address these matters could result in another episode like 2018.

tcudoc

It comes as no surprise that the predominant dilemma facing the Frogs in 2019 centers on the

need for a significant degree of improvement at both QB and OL. The answer to both of these

issues seems to revolve around the questions of health, maturity and availability of new talent.

Failure to address these matters could result in another episode like 2018.
I can't tell if that is written in iambic pentameter or not.