• The KillerFrogs

The 2019 Offense needs to be restructured to revolve around the run game

Wexahu

No more videos of TCU offensive players training at sand volleyball courts this off season wearing bandanas for their strength and conditioning off season program. I'm convinced this is where things started going south this past season. More Colorado circuits in that training slot instead.

One of our WRs decided to become a power lifter for the latter half of his career and all it did was take away whatever athleticism he had. More sand volleyball might have been good for him. I'm far from an expert on strength and conditioning but I don't know how squatting 5 million lbs helps a guy run routes.

LeagueCityFrog

One of our WRs decided to become a power lifter for the latter half of his career and all it did was take away whatever athleticism he had. More sand volleyball might have been good for him. I'm far from an expert on strength and conditioning but I don't know how squatting 5 million lbs helps a guy run routes.

Anyone else think our two senior scholarship wide receivers were better as freshman and sophomores vs power lifting champion seniors? Go watch how bad our downfield blocking was too this past season on run plays.

CryptoMiner

No more videos of TCU offensive players training at sand volleyball courts this off season wearing bandanas for their strength and conditioning off season program. I'm convinced this is where things started going south this past season. More Colorado circuits in that training slot instead.

You realize that they didn't just play sand volleyball, right?

Wexahu

Anyone else think our two senior scholarship wide receivers were better as freshman and sophomores vs power lifting champion seniors? Go watch how bad our downfield blocking was too this past season on run plays.

I haven't see any improvement from those players in terms of running routes, getting open and catching passes. In fact, they seemed to regress. Not sure about the run blocking.

Raw Frog

I also think we should send Gary and the offensive staff to Kansas City and have a 5 day offensive learning seminar with Andy Reid and the Chiefs. There are TCU alums who could set that up. I think a Gary and Andy Reid business relationship would be good for TCU football. Gary can share with Andy how to run a defense. Andy is a magician at bending an offense around whatever skills that year's group of players have instead of trying to get players to bend to his offense. We had ZERO offensive identity this past fall. No more Boykin, Doctson, and Mr. Cool on the sidelines in Coach Meacham and this is what we get.

Only keepers on offensive staff in my opinion are Luper and Thomsen. The rest get the axe including grad assistants for QBs and WRs.

Great ideas. if Gary does not want to spend the money from his budget, he could get the Liberty Hill High School coach to come up for free and no doubt give him a bunch of fresh solid ideas. Or, almost anybody versed in football that is not a yes man.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Brewing, what you say is spot on IMHO, but it all starts with our Head Coach and he, after 20 years, IS NOT CHANGING, but without a doubt, the best college defensive coach in the game, not even close.
GMFP is many things, good and bad depending on one's perspective. He does indeed change, though. Remember, after the horrid 2013 season he brought in guys to completely change what our offense did. Where he is stubborn is in the loyalty department, and 2013 is again illustrative in that the guys who were bitter failures in various positions were kept on staff, but moved to new positions. Heads did not roll as they would at any other program. GMFP's career before TCU was like many: nomadic and poorly treated. I believe he made a vow to himself to be different, to not treat assistants like chattel but to treat them like valued partners. Comrades. Good, or bad, dependent on perspective.

It is obvious that to be a good, even great defensive mind, you must understand offenses. You have to know how they work before you can stop them. GMFP also has a sneaky sense of their mindsets, seemingly knowing what they are going to do before even they do. From his standpoint, he felt that he would go with the type of offense that gave him the most trouble: Air Raid. He got good disciples of Mike Leach to implement it. He surrendered playcalling and all things offense to them. That indicates that the Old Dog is indeed willing to try new tricks, even ones he hates at times. He surveyed the overall scheme and determined that he needed a new strategy, and implemented it. Then, he stuck to it. 2014 to now has produced three 11 win seasons (or better) based on this new offensive scheme. 3 out of 5 seasons were pretty darned good ones, considering.

The bad seasons, though. Ugh. How can such swings in fortune happen? This off-season, like the Spring 2017 period, will consist of plenty of sit downs to determine 1.) What Worked, and 2.) What Didn't, and 3.) Why. I am sure that behind closed doors these meetings can get pretty heated, and that much truth is laid bare. TCU has seemingly done well after such painful but necessary adjustments. 2013 begat 2014, as 2016 begat 2017. There is no doubt subtle changes will be made, but a question that flummoxes me is, with the continuity in coaching, why the swings in performance? Why the differences year to year in fundamentals, organization, poise, etc? One would think that such sameness in coaching personnel would result in sameness in performance. But, alas...

One thing is certain: In GMFP I trust. I may not like some decisions he makes, but I have no way of knowing the facts behind his reasoning. His judgement has proven sound in the long run, though. Time and time again.

FrogCoach84

They need to watch some film of OU with Mixon and Perine in the backfield together. You don’t have to completely change your offense to add wrinkles like that. You just have to have an offense with the ability to adapt.

It’s also time to go find someone that can develop WRs. Talent is there but there is little to no improvement year to year and more often appears to be regression.

Frog-in-law1995

the Rueben Sierra effect

Sincerely hope that Justin Rogers' 'Drop Foot' injury does not prove to be more detrimental than was

originally diagnosed. Especially concerned given our recent ominous history of QB injuries.

froginmn

That's the way it would look at first glance, but he cannot go in the 1st. round with the QB's on deck for NEXT season and he knows it. He obviously needs a lot of receptions. There was a tweet to this subject after the game was over and now I see it's been removed.

Realistically, what do we have? Rogers is a HUGE question mark on health, Collins, well we don't know about his foot and what he can really do if recovered, and then a freshman. "Push him back a year", yes for the $$$ a 1st. round pick for a receiver gets. Hey, at the end of the day it's about money.
Since you started this out as a comparison to him transferring, you need to compare to what we'll have in two years, not next year.

Eight

Great ideas. if Gary does not want to spend the money from his budget, he could get the Liberty Hill High School coach to come up for free and no doubt give him a bunch of fresh solid ideas. Or, almost anybody versed in football that is not a yes man.

why are you obsessed with the coach at liberty hill who basically was running a modified wing-t?

4th. down

Since you started this out as a comparison to him transferring, you need to compare to what we'll have in two years, not next year.

I hear what you are saying and probably need to make myself a little more clear - he said next year would probably seek the pro game, meaning that he would not be here in 2 years, and this time next year he would be looking at the draft. Between him and his Dad, they seem to think, down the line, he has a legit 1st, round shot. Hope that helps clarify some of it for you.

Raw Frog

why are you obsessed with the coach at liberty hill who basically was running a modified wing-t?
He just seemed to be a real smart offensive mind, getting the most out of his players. Just a feel about the guy, as I don't know anything about him other than watching him win and run that funky offense with small and not particularly fast players. I could be wrong about him, but he seems very innovative and adaptive to what the defenses are giving him...

TX_Krötenechse

Lot of hot takes in this thread

Cumbie had basically two or three bad calls last night - the double pass and the 4th and 2 Wild Frog that everyone in the stadium saw coming. Beyond that, the game was pretty well-called by Cumbie - we just couldn’t execute, primarily because of the frankly bad play by Mule.

Last night I saw Cumbie actively adapt his game plan both to what was working on the field and what the strengths of the offensive squad were. That’s something that was largely missing for much of this season.

I’m frankly at a loss to what you guys would have done differently (beyond attempt a FG instead of calling that bad 4th and 2 play anyway). Throw more passes? Run more cute reverses and end-arounds? Neither of those things worked. Cumbie saw that ... and stopped calling those plays. He shifted to power run with a couple of passes sprinkled in and it largely worked. If we had a QB who could run or throw or make decisions worth a damn last night, it would have worked really well.

But please, despite this being one of the better-called (albeit horrendously executed) games of the season, do continue with your plans to replace Cumbie with the ghost of Lombardi or a wing T guru.

Diehard

Just one brief comment to add. Maybe it's just me, the Cal defense was about a fast as ours. A first this year I think. Maybe we aren't giving them enough credit here.

4th. down

I also think we should send Gary and the offensive staff to Kansas City and have a 5 day offensive learning seminar with Andy Reid and the Chiefs. There are TCU alums who could set that up. I think a Gary and Andy Reid business relationship would be good for TCU football. Gary can share with Andy how to run a defense. Andy is a magician at bending an offense around whatever skills that year's group of players have instead of trying to get players to bend to his offense. We had ZERO offensive identity this past fall. No more Boykin, Doctson, and Mr. Cool on the sidelines in Coach Meacham and this is what we get.

Only keepers on offensive staff in my opinion are Luper and Thomsen. The rest get the axe including grad assistants for QBs and WRs.

WOW, tell it like it is. 100% spot on!

texas_sicilian

9th out of 10 in the conference in scoring offense. Dead last in 3rd down conversions.

Yeah, something needs to change.

Oh, and #1 (again) in total defense, despite all the injuries, young players, and other excuses used to explain why our offensive performance was so sub-par.