• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

Eight

Exactly. If they wanted to “set it up” so OSU can pass OU, why wouldn’t they just rank OSU ahead of OU this week? If there’s one thing that’s certain, it’s that no matter what they do, it will be called a setup, or rigged. 12 people are simply incapable of picking the teams they think deserve a top 4 ranking without having an agenda. It’s ridiculous.

the only rankings that matter are the last one as we have seen time and time again.

the scheissing show is nothing more than reality television staged by espn to draw in poor souls who can't remember back as last year where we see the very same stage drama.

not one of those rankings up to the final show matters. jesus, this is no different than the selection process for the ncaa basketball tournament and yet people buy this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] hook, line, and sinker.

here is a hint, don't watch the [ Finebaum ] until it actually matters and i hate to tell you, but reality television is stage.

Wexahu

the only rankings that matter are the last one as we have seen time and time again.

the scheissing show is nothing more than reality television staged by espn to draw in poor souls who can't remember back as last year where we see the very same stage drama.

not one of those rankings up to the final show matters. jesus, this is no different than the selection process for the ncaa basketball tournament and yet people buy this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] hook, line, and sinker.

here is a hint, don't watch the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] until it actually matters and i hate to tell you, but reality television is stage.

I never watch it because I agree, what they say on the show is totally meaningless. They have to say something to fill air time because that is what they are required to do. It's not hard understanding who the four teams should be. Just let all the games play out and the 4 will likely be staring everyone in the face. There might be a little controversy on the last selection at times but BFD, it's rare. Not at all hard to compare two resumes side by side and objectively decide whose is better.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

FSU beat the #11 ranked team in the country and

I never watch it because I agree, what they say on the show is totally meaningless. They have to say something to fill air time because that is what they are required to do. It's not hard understanding who the four teams should be. Just let all the games play out and the 4 will likely be staring everyone in the face. There might be a little controversy on the last selection at times but BFD, it's rare. Not at all hard to compare two resumes side by side and objectively decide whose is better.
Who cares if they beat number 11. If they thought TCU was better the week before and then wins by 50 then they should have stayed in front. Who is to say if TCU plays GT that TCU doesn’t beat them worse. Committee created this problem by having TCU ranked above FSU. Would be different if TCU didn’t dominate Iowa State that week

Saying they’d be meaningless is wrong. Assuming each P5 and the highest ranked G5 got an auto bid , Washington, Utah, Northwestern, Texas, UCF and Pitt would all be looking to get in. None of those teams are getting in under the current system. You’d still be watching this weekend.
I’d rather not have P5 champ autobids- a 4 loss Northwestern or 5 loss Pitt aren’t close to top 8 teams.

Eight

I’d rather not have P5 champ autobids- a 4 loss Northwestern or 5 loss Pitt aren’t close to top 8 teams.

please tell me when a 4-loss northwestern and a 5-loss pit won their conference championship game?

i hate when people say we shouldn't do things because what might happen?

seriously are there a bunch of underwriters on this site?

if you give auto bids there is no reason for a conference championship game unless you have put together a conference so freaking large you actually don't play a full schedule.

Wexahu

Who cares if they beat number 11. If they thought TCU was better the week before and then wins by 50 then they should have stayed in front. Who is to say if TCU plays GT that TCU doesn’t beat them worse. Committee created this problem by having TCU ranked above FSU. Would be different if TCU didn’t dominate Iowa State that week

Not going to argue that as that may be the case to some degree. I've just always said that in the end they got the teams right, and that's really all that matters.

But beating the #11 ranked team on a neutral field is still far more impressive than boat racing a terrible team at home. Let's face it, in some of these matchups against unmatched teams, the better team can often pretty much name the score. The highest ranked team we beat all year was #11 Kansas State, so FSU did essentially match that during the final week. Not unreasonable to flip spots I would guess.

Wexahu

Which is why it’s so important to beat those middle of the road teams come Bowl time

You have to ask the question though....which teams ranked below those SEC teams should be ranked ahead of them. Look at their total resumes and let me know.

#11 Washington - has lost to three unranked teams (Cal, Oregon, and 10th place SEC team Auburn)
#12 - Penn State - I don't even think I need to argue this, everyone here seems to think they suck
#13 - Washington State - played absolutely nobody in OOC, lost to 5-7 USC and to #11 Washington at home by a couple TDs
#14 - Texas - lost to Maryland and 5-7 Okie State, barely beat a big group of other bad teams.
#15 - Kentucky - SEC team
#16 - West Virginia - lost to Iowa State by a couple TDs, lost to 5-7 Okie State

That's 11-16. So if those SEC teams don't deserve to be in the Top 10, which of the next teams do?

Moose Stuff

Not going to argue that as that may be the case to some degree. I've just always said that in the end they got the teams right, and that's really all that matters.

But beating the #11 ranked team on a neutral field is still far more impressive than boat racing a terrible team at home. Let's face it, in some of these matchups against unmatched teams, the better team can often pretty much name the score. The highest ranked team we beat all year was #11 Kansas State, so FSU did essentially match that during the final week. Not unreasonable to flip spots I would guess.

Got the teams right....... I wouldn’t say that.

Moose Stuff

You have to ask the question though....which teams ranked below those SEC teams should be ranked ahead of them. Look at their total resumes and let me know.

#11 Washington - has lost to three unranked teams (Cal, Oregon, and 10th place SEC team Auburn)
#12 - Penn State - I don't even think I need to argue this, everyone here seems to think they suck
#13 - Washington State - played absolutely nobody in OOC, lost to 5-7 USC and to #11 Washington at home by a couple TDs
#14 - Texas - lost to Maryland and 5-7 Okie State, barely beat a big group of other bad teams.
#15 - Kentucky - SEC team
#16 - West Virginia - lost to Iowa State by a couple TDs, lost to 5-7 Okie State

That's 11-16. So if those SEC teams don't deserve to be in the Top 10, which of the next teams do?

Nobody is making the argument that they don’t deserve to be there. The point was that those teams are PERCEIVED to be better than they actually are.

bronco

You have to have ccg's to determine a conference champion in every P5 league not named BIgXII. So they won't go away. If you expand the playoffs to 8, you render those ccg's meaningless. I for one am looking forward to them this Saturday, and the drama that unfolds for the playoff. I think after the ccg's we can figure out who the top 4 teams are in the country. Yes, they are quasi-first round playoff games.
You have to have ccg's to determine a conference champion in every P5 league not named BIgXII. So they won't go away. If you expand the playoffs to 8, you render those ccg's meaningless. I for one am looking forward to them this Saturday, and the drama that unfolds for the playoff. I think after the ccg's we can figure out who the top 4 teams are in the country. Yes, they are quasi-first round playoff games.

All changes to the CFP will take some tweaking, but if you remove divisions, play nine conference games and balance out scheduling a regular season conference champion can be crowned.

I am looking forward to the games this weekend as well but how important are they for the CFP? I don't think Clemson or Bama will be eliminated even if they lose. Nor will Pitt get in if they win and the Pac 12 has already been eliminated. Is Clemson v Pitt more interesting than Clemson v Michigan (2 v 7 in current ranking)? Is Ohio State v Northwestern more interesting than Notre Dame v Ohio State (3 v 7)?

Eliminating the conference championship game could solve the problem of games cancelled due to weather. This weekend could be used for Army v Navy, with an exclusive tv window and then any other cancelled games could be played such as WVU v NC State. The first round of the CFP would be next week at home sights.

Dogfrog

Maybe you have some reason for believing they always get the teams right even though the process is flawed, but having a flawed process makes the system a lie.

Wexahu

Maybe you have some reason for believing they always get the teams right even though the process is flawed, but having a flawed process makes the system a lie.

So far through 4 years I've been right 100% in knowing who the teams were going to be on Sunday morning before the selection show. The parameters are pretty clear for anyone that doesn't just want to complain about [ Finebaum ] just because you don't get your way. Not saying it doesn't have flaws, no system is 100% perfect, but a flawed system that doesn't work is one where we'd have, say, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida and Washington in the Top 4 right now. But they aren't, the teams in the Top 4 are about as close to exactly where they should be as you can get. If OU wants to complain about being #5, sorry, don't lose to Texas and don't have a sieve of a defense. If OSU wants to complain about being #6, sorry, don't get your ass kicked by Purdue. If Michigan wants to complain about being #7, sorry, don't get your ass kicked by Ohio State in your CCG. If UCF wants to complain about being #8, sorry, schedule someone with a pulse in OOC.

Can we at least let the games play out and see who the teams are before calling BS on everything?

Pharm Frog

Saying they’d be meaningless is wrong. Assuming each P5 and the highest ranked G5 got an auto bid , Washington, Utah, Northwestern, Texas, UCF and Pitt would all be looking to get in. None of those teams are getting in under the current system. You’d still be watching this weekend.

Just posted about this. This is what I want to see happen. All of the above win and UCF lose and Fresno win.

please tell me when a 4-loss northwestern and a 5-loss pit won their conference championship game?
Both could happen Saturday night.

i hate when people say we shouldn't do things because what might happen?

seriously are there a bunch of underwriters on this site?

if you give auto bids there is no reason for a conference championship game unless you have put together a conference so freaking large you actually don't play a full schedule.

You learn from history to avoid bad outcomes that might happen.

Let’s look at 2009. The champions from the Big 12 and SEC (unbeaten UT and Bama) get in on their own merits. Three other P5 champs would be getting in with two losses and pushing one of four deserving teams out.

Should we potentially exclude one of the following so that a two loss Ohio State gets in? What about having two loss Oregon automatically advance while the unbeaten Boise team who beat them is left out? How about the average GT team that won the ACC with two losses.

I have zero reason to beleive they wouldn’t bs the eye test to keep UF in and screw one of three unbeatens.

Unbeaten TCU
Unbeaten Cincinnati
Unbeaten Boise
One Loss UF

With five slots automatically spoken for they’d only take three.

If you did loose criteria favoring league champs from the P5 and G5 unbeatens you’d get Bama, Texas, Cincinnati, TCU, Florida, Boise, Oregon, and Ohio state. GT would be the odd one out.