• The KillerFrogs

Two games left. What do you hope to see?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
For my preseason prediction to come true...

...even though I'll have to split the big cash prize with Frognosticator.

Wexahu

curious why you would think the players "shouldn't need ANY coaching to run better routes" when they obviously struggle to run proper routes as well as fight through jams etc......

Making hard cuts, getting in and out of breaks, etc etc.....that's stuff you learn pretty early in a football career, you shouldn't need a college assistant coach telling you to do those things, but our guys consistently look so sloppy on even the most basic route running fundamentals.

Maybe some of it is they rely so much on reading the defense to determine where they are supposed to go and that the issue is more in recognizing the defense, but in any event the route running is truly awful at times.

4th. down

Is it possible for the last 2 games we do the following?

1. Split backs with Mike under center (if Anderson is in the game as the only RB, they know we are going to run because he cannot pass block). Use Mike rolling out or a moving pocket to pass either short or long, 2 looks, and if covered, dump it off to a RB.

2. Use some faking in the backfield using the 2 RB's. and runs some counters off the fake.

3. Slow the game down, not speed it up, that's not working, plus it gives the defense some rest.

4. When the opponent is going uptempo, simply the defense, getting the calls in late is too much confusion for this young defense and they are missing their assignments. We are still running around and trying to communicate when the ball is being snapped. Simply it GP against the uptempo. WV killed us on that and retool your scheme to cover the flat and the wheel routes, Dana said those were gimmies.

Eight

Making hard cuts, getting in and out of breaks, etc etc.....that's stuff you learn pretty early in a football career, you shouldn't need a college assistant coach telling you to do those things, but our guys consistently look so sloppy on even the most basic route running fundamentals.

Maybe some of it is they rely so much on reading the defense to determine where they are supposed to go and that the issue is more in recognizing the defense, but in any event the route running is truly awful at times.

you truly believe that?

last high school game you attended by chance.

Moose Stuff

Totally bizarre. He's the only guy who looks like he's played a football game before on the offensive side. Maybe Anderson also.

I mentioned in the game thread, but that one slant route Austin ran (they showed a replay of the entire route) was just absolutely laughable. The effort and quality was a total joke, no wonder he's never open.

I was exaggerating a little bit as other guys on that side are solid players, but as a whole they’re just god awful.

Wexahu

you truly believe that?

last high school game you attended by chance.

I attend them fairly regularly. I do see some terrible fundamentals for sure but the team I happen to watch most frequently is actually very well coached. But it's still freaking high school, at the college level every WR should at least be able to run a crisp route vs air, which our guys can't seem to figure out far too often.

Eight

I attend them fairly regularly. I do see some terrible fundamentals for sure but the team I happen to watch most frequently is actually very well coached. But it's still freaking high school, at the college level every WR should at least be able to run a crisp route vs air, which our guys can't seem to figure out far too often.

running against air is not the same as playing against press coverage by a comparable athlete

kid like john stephens played both ways at a small school in north louisiana. how much time do you think a kid who played two positions in football and three sports during the year spent time running routes? how many defensive backs do you think could physically match john?

how many defensive backs do you think texarkana had that could match hunt in practice?

emanuel porter played at dallas lincoln where you had a limited number of coaches, kids don't have the free time like the suburban schools, he played basketball much of the year, and didn't have an extensive football back ground

kolby listenbee was a quarteback in high school, thomas was a quarterback at paschall, barber played multiple positions as did derius davis

the very idea that a college coach should not have to reach the fundamentals of a position is so outlandish to me.

if you go watch professional tennis players work with their coaches you see them work the very same drills my wife and the other ladies of their weekly tennis league do with with the local pro as do the kids in our neighborhood when he is teaching them the game? why?

shouldn't nadal, novak, roger, and the rest know the proper footwork, etc......

funny thing is talking from friends in coaching etc...it is that very focus on those small things, those things that "SHOULD BE KNOWN" which separates the best programs from the average programs

do you really think every receiver alabama recruits knows how to run routes, proper hand placement when catching the ball?

do you really think nick saban has such an eye for secondary talent that he can spot kids who naturally know proper technique?

john wooden taught each freshman class how to put on their socks so they would not get blisters, how to tie their laces so they would not come untied, and how to tuck in a jersey so it wouldn't come out. all things that might slow down a player in practice or have a player get out of line in a drill.

the best teachers start with the fundamentals and work up. they don't expect people to know those fundamentals.

Last edited:

Wexahu

running against air is not the same as playing against press coverage by a comparable athlete

the very idea that a college coach should not have to reach the fundamentals of a position is so outlandish to me.

I know. But our guys so often don't even run good routes against air. That was my point. Making a hard curt and making an effort to get in and out of a break on a route against soft coverage shouldn't be hard. That's very basic stuff.

I never said a college coach shouldn't have to teach fundamentals, that's a ridiculous assumption and I don't know where you got that. There are definitely things that need to be taught. But coming into college, if a kid has had even the most basic instruction, running a simple slant or a square in against air should not be a difficult thing to do.

y2kFrog

Our receivers generally run terrible routes. When I go back and watch the games that's one thing that glaringly stands out. So many times they look like they aren't even sure what route to run, they have the look of running out there with no purpose in mind. It's stunning to me how they can practice all week long and watch film and not do better. Yes, the coaching is a problem, but you shouldn't need ANY coaching to run better routes than what our guys do sometimes, just incredibly sloppy play.

You go back and watch these games?? More power to you...

Eight

I know. But our guys so often don't even run good routes against air. That was my point. Making a hard curt and making an effort to get in and out of a break on a route against soft coverage shouldn't be hard. That's very basic stuff.

I never said a college coach shouldn't have to teach fundamentals, that's a ridiculous assumption and I don't know where you got that. There are definitely things that need to be taught. But coming into college, if a kid has had even the most basic instruction, running a simple slant or a square in against air should not be a difficult thing to do.

if they are allowed to practice that way why would you think they would play differently.

if they aren't allowed to practice that way and do play that way why are they allowed to stay on the field