• The KillerFrogs

From Schloss

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I suppose that, at the end of the day, the point of this exercise was to wring from TCU some commitments. More money, some bling on The Lup, whatever. While that is nice and all, the semi-public nature of the "courting" and copious amounts of smoke pouring out of Starkville were baffling to us average (By average, I mean Not Omniscient, like Moose...) fans who could not understand for a second why someone like Schloss would be playing footsie with an outfit in bleakest Mississippi. The continuing silence simply deepened the incredulity.

Of course, the continued success of MSU in the Tournament made brooming the current staff problematic, so as they continue to stay alive the chances of Schloss being jetted in (or conveyed in a covered wagon, befitting the rural nature of the area...) to a welcoming fanfare shrank to nothing. Thus, while the announcement of last night was not exactly a shock, it was delivered with a timing that indicated the success of the MSU program had more to do with the announcement than Schloss' desire to stay in Fort Worth. Whether that is the truth or not will be revealed in time, but the fact remains that the courting seems to have gone beyond the "I'm just using you for leverage" stage and into the "looking at real-estate and local restaurants" stage.

So, I have read up-thread that "Oh, he's totally committed to this Program now!" Hmmm. Really? There's a pretty sizeable body of evidence that he was about to ditch us for the sunny environs of Starkville, MS! One has to be a little suspicious in the wake of such a drama that the whole thing won't boil up again in 10 months. We can be certain that other recruiters will be flogging this point to death.

This was simply handled badly by Schloss. Clumsily and awkwardly.

SnoSki

You mean all these kindly Mississippi fans that dropped by to offer some sympathy and to let us know how this deal was inevitable given their greatness did not know boat?
LOL, those same fans are now filling twitter with “Schloss was never offered/we didn’t want him” posts

Eight

I suppose that, at the end of the day, the point of this exercise was to wring from TCU some commitments. More money, some bling on The Lup, whatever. While that is nice and all, the semi-public nature of the "courting" and copious amounts of smoke pouring out of Starkville were baffling to us average (By average, I mean Not Omniscient, like Moose...) fans who could not understand for a second why someone like Schloss would be playing footsie with an outfit in bleakest Mississippi. The continuing silence simply deepened the incredulity.

Of course, the continued success of MSU in the Tournament made brooming the current staff problematic, so as they continue to stay alive the chances of Schloss being jetted in (or conveyed in a covered wagon, befitting the rural nature of the area...) to a welcoming fanfare shrank to nothing. Thus, while the announcement of last night was not exactly a shock, it was delivered with a timing that indicated the success of the MSU program had more to do with the announcement than Schloss' desire to stay in Fort Worth. Whether that is the truth or not will be revealed in time, but the fact remains that the courting seems to have gone beyond the "I'm just using you for leverage" stage and into the "looking at real-estate and local restaurants" stage.

So, I have read up-thread that "Oh, he's totally committed to this Program now!" Hmmm. Really? There's a pretty sizeable body of evidence that he was about to ditch us for the sunny environs of Starkville, MS! One has to be a little suspicious in the wake of such a drama that the whole thing won't boil up again in 10 months. We can be certain that other recruiters will be flogging this point to death.

This was simply handled badly by Schloss. Clumsily and awkwardly.

didn't patterson almost leave tcu for another job? concerns about his focus since he decided to stay in ft worth?

as far as how it was handled by schloss what would you want him to do aside from never considering the job in the first place?

schloss didn't make this public, people looking to write stories and generate clicks did that. he was under no obligation to make public to anyone what he was thinking, what was being discussed, and why if in fact he did change his mind. anyone notice there have not been any comments from any of the players or sarloos on this matter that i have seen anywhere? the people that needed to know knew what they needed to know.

if schloss is happy with his arrangement and circumstances good for him and good for tcu as it takes a huge amount of energy to run a major sports program.

the most ironic point of this past week is every time people talk about someone taking a job at ut people write about all those around the ut program who feel they deserve access to information about the program, to that coach etc....

where have i read similar thoughts this past week or so?????

Last edited:

H0RNEDFR0G

Donati successfully passed his first true test and kept the coach we really wanted. Congrats to Donati.

It's pretty clear that Jim leveraged the MSU folks to get something he wanted from TCU. My hope is that he used the opportunity not only for himself but for new facilities, improvements to existing facilities, and increases in pay for his assistants. Hopefully the focus was improving the assets of the program more than personal assets. Time will tell.

Last edited:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wes, I think this is a fair question, but you decide and delete if not.

Was the personal matter resolved, or is it just best dealt with in Fort Worth, rather than Starkville. The answer would seem to have implications as to whether we can view this as an answer of convenience or a more long term indication of his TCU tenure going forward.
The personal matter is health related and was gut wrenching for the family

ill stop there because it is personal but it was 180 degrees away from the rumor subject matter

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
didn't patterson almost leave tcu for another job? concerns about his focus since he decided to stay in ft worth?

He played footsie with Minnesota, if memory serves, but that was never taken very seriously and it was clearly an avenue by which he gained raises for all his Assistants and wrangled a few other goodies to boot. The dalliance was, in effect, a method by which TCU could give out some money and have cover for doing so.

This recent drama never had that feel. Perhaps Donati is a better poker player than any of us realize...

Young and Horned

Talk about getting leverage. I imagine MSU made him an offer, ADJD reserved a table of 6-8 with HCJS, ADJD, and 4-6 of the biggest boosters and they talked about what it was going to take to get him to stay. Would imagine there will be some big announcements soon about the baseball stadium. Good for coach and the program. Just sure hate to lose Saarloos if he ends up taking job somewhere else.

H0RNEDFR0G

why in the world would you infer this?

Why would I infer he levered MSU for more money? Because he publicly said he was going to listen to what they had to say. What do you infer from that? That he was happy at TCU as is; and would not consider more money or facility upgrades?

BABYFACE

as far as how it was handled by schloss what would you want him to do aside from never considering the job in the first place?

schloss didn't make this public, people looking to write stories and generate clicks did that. he was under no obligation to make public to anyone what he was thinking, what was being discussed, and why if in fact he did change his mind. anyone notice there have not been any comments from any of the players or sarloos on this matter that i have seen anywhere? the people that needed to know knew what they needed to know.

if schloss is happy with his arrangement and circumstances good for him and good for tcu as it takes a huge amount of energy to run a major sports program.

the most ironic point of this past week is every time people talk about someone taking a job at ut people write about all those around the ut program who feel they deserve access to information about the program, to that coach etc....

where have i read similar thoughts this past week or so?????
Yes, one particular time, GP almost left. We never knew about it until afterwards that it almost happened. And that tidbit was not in the papers or a press release but rather insider info posted on KFC a good year past the incident. That particular courtship didn’t play out on the public stage.

There have been many suitors over the years that have listed GP as candidate. And GP has expressed he will always listen but that doesn’t mean necessarily that he is looking to leave.

We saw UT come after Schloss last year and we held our breath. When JS declined UT, that was huge and us fans thought we dodged the one bullet that could have pulled JS from TCU. So, the MSU thing being considered and the way it played out for us fans, was a head scratcher after the UT overtures a year prior. I think 99% of us thought he was gone and coming to grips with that. We already moved onto to the thought that Saarloos is a head coaching superstar waiting to happen when he becomes a HC, and we thought that was going to be with TCU for the 2019 season.

So, I am happy Schloss is staying, but a little dazed and confused about the past week. It would seem that most of us have felt a little of this.

MTfrog5

Yes, one particular time, GP almost left. We never knew about it until afterwards that it almost happened. And that tidbit was not in the papers or a press release but rather insider info posted on KFC a good year past the incident. That particular courtship didn’t play out on the public stage.

There have been many suitors over the years that have listed GP as candidate. And GP has expressed he will always listen but that doesn’t mean necessarily that he is looking to leave.

We saw UT come after Schloss last year and we held our breath. When JS declined UT, that was huge and us fans thought we dodged the one bullet that could have pulled JS from TCU. So, the MSU thing being considered and the way it played out for us fans, was a head scratcher after the UT overtures a year prior. I think 99% of us thought he was gone and coming to grips with that. We already moved onto to the thought that Saarloos is a head coaching superstar waiting to happen when he becomes a HC, and we thought that was going to be with TCU for the 2019 season.

So, I am happy Schloss is staying, but a little dazed and confused about the past week. It would seem that most of us have felt a little of this.
Which time are you talking about with GP?