• The KillerFrogs

OT: Why Did You Choose Your KF.c Handle?

JogginFrog

No you saw it. Somewhere on page 2 or 3. Airplane is an all time favorite of mine and I always loved Rex Kramer, played by Robert Stack of Unsolved Mysteries (I’m sure there were other movies/shows but that’s all I know of). My brother and I quote that movie all the time still.

I’ll expand on it by admitting that I stole the name from my brother. He’s a TCU grad but more of a Texas fan (do your worst on that kf.c… but just know we were raised in a UT household). He posts on one of their sites under the name. I was pissed that he thought of it first. Knowing he doesn’t come over here, I claimed it.
No kidding, I met a guy today who is named Rex Kramer. At least, that's what his nametag said. And he's from a generation that would be unlikely to have remembered the character names from Airplane. Kinda wish that when he introduced himself, I'd have responded with, "Surely, you must be joking." But he's from a generation that is unlikely to have found that funny.

My dad (his card-playing buddy) said he had served as a submarine captain. So tonight I hit the Google, and sure enough, that's his name.

Last edited:

Frog DJ

May we know where you worked in radio or is that too personal?
No, I’d be happy to recount my broadcasting travels, but I’m not sure anyone has the time to read the entire list (it IS a transient business).

I began by working at WBAP (3 different times, including TV - now known as KXAS). I also had 3 different tenures at both KFJZ (AM and FM) and KXOL in Fort Worth. Then, in Dallas I toiled at KNUS (twice), and KAFM.

In between those jobs, I made stops at KEEL in Shreveport (twice), XEROK in El Paso (oh, the stories I could tell!), and KYA AM & FM in San Francisco. I was also the Network Program Director and morning show host for Armed Forces Radio in Seoul, South Korea, and I reported sports on AFKN-TV.

Eventually, I landed and stayed in Houston (still live in Sugar Land). I had a short run on KULF before the legendary Bill Young hired me at KILT for the job about which I wrote the book that Tony Lema was nice enough to mention, and I was blessed to keep that gig for almost 30 continuous years. During that time I had two on air TV jobs - Channel 20 and Channel 61.

After that came to an end, I briefly appeared on AM 1070 The Answer, but I wasn‘t quite as conservative as they wanted me to be, so I walked away. I’ve also done some syndication work in the Classic Rock format. I now teach voiceover from my home studio, and I have students all over the US.

I told you it was more than you wanted to hear.

Go Frogs!

I had been a long time lurker and finally joined back in the MWC days. I was tired of attendance smack and our "small school" thing being held against us when we were punching above our weight and had become acquainted with quite a few people who came to our games that went to other schools so decided the that more frogs the better would be a decent handle. I still think that the more frog fans, however they got here, are better.

Rex Kramer

No kidding, I met a guy today who is named Rex Kramer. At least, that's what his nametag said. And he's from a generation that would be unlikely to have remembered the character names from Airplane. Kinda wish that when he introduced himself, I'd have responded with, "Surely, you must be joking." But he's from a generation that is unlikely to have found that funny.

My dad (his card-playing buddy) said he had served as a submarine captain. So tonight I hit the Google, and sure enough, that's his name.
That’s amazing. Great find! I’d love to be in that card game. I imagine he’s got some stories. I also think you missed an opportunity there, though you probably wouldn’t have been the first person to make a reference like that to him.

Sangria Wine

Because Jerry Jeff is (was, God rest his soul) my spirit animal and Sangria Wine is among my favorite of his songs. I use it on other random boards as well. My current avatar is me with two of my all time favorite Frogs, Brian Estridge and GMFP.

On the old original board I was something totally different and TCU specific, but I can’t remember what it was.

Oh and I love that Sangria Wine when I drink it with old friends of mine!

Showtime Joe 2.0

Joe is my real name and "Showtime Joe" was the nickname I picked up for two reasons in the 1990s when I was still living in my native Detroit.

First, I was a trial lawyer back then and I became known for delivering incredible closing arguments. Unfortunately, when it came to everything else a lawyer does in a trial, like direct examinations, cross-examinations, introducing evidence, raising proper and timely objections, I sucked. And I learned the hard way that you can't always win over a jury with a great closing argument since, for some reason, a lot of jurors actually pay attention to the evidence. Anyway, one day, as I was about to give my closing argument at the end of a weeklong trial, my client turned to me with great anticipation and said, "Now, it's showtime!" And the name stuck from there.

Secondly, also back in Detroit, I used to emcee a lot of rock'n'roll and rockabilly concerts (and very occasionally still do in DFW today) and I used to take the stage, grab the microphone, and, in my best, stentorian announcer's voice declare, "It's Showtime in the Motor City!" So, I was known on stage and in the courtroom as Showtime Joe.

Finally, thank you, Prince of Purpoole II, for starting one of the best off-season threads ever!

PurpleBlood87

Joe is my real name and "Showtime Joe" was the nickname I picked up for two reasons in the 1990s when I was still living in my native Detroit.

First, I was a trial lawyer back then and I became known for delivering incredible closing arguments. Unfortunately, when it came to everything else a lawyer does in a trial, like direct examinations, cross-examinations, introducing evidence, raising proper and timely objections, I sucked. And I learned the hard way that you can't always win over a jury with a great closing argument since, for some reason, a lot of jurors actually pay attention to the evidence. Anyway, one day, as I was about to give my closing argument at the end of a weeklong trial, my client turned to me with great anticipation and said, "Now, it's showtime!" And the name stuck from there.

Secondly, also back in Detroit, I used to emcee a lot of rock'n'roll and rockabilly concerts (and very occasionally still do in DFW today) and I used to take the stage, grab the microphone, and, in my best, stentorian announcer's voice declare, "It's Showtime in the Motor City!" So, I was known on stage and in the courtroom as Showtime Joe.

Finally, thank you, Prince of Purpoole II, for starting one of the best off-season threads ever!

It's better than "Sleepy Joe".

An-Cap Frog

I love golden showers
Oh My God Reaction GIF

froginmn

I had been a long time lurker and finally joined back in the MWC days. I was tired of attendance smack and our "small school" thing being held against us when we were punching above our weight and had become acquainted with quite a few people who came to our games that went to other schools so decided the that more frogs the better would be a decent handle. I still think that the more frog fans, however they got here, are better.
And that name was already taken, so...

Limey Frog

First, I was a trial lawyer back then and I became known for delivering incredible closing arguments. Unfortunately, when it came to everything else a lawyer does in a trial, like direct examinations, cross-examinations, introducing evidence, raising proper and timely objections, I sucked.
So you were basically Allie McBeal. (Obscure 90s pop-culture reference alert.)

Deep Purple

No you saw it. Somewhere on page 2 or 3. Airplane is an all time favorite of mine and I always loved Rex Kramer, played by Robert Stack of Unsolved Mysteries (I’m sure there were other movies/shows but that’s all I know of). My brother and I quote that movie all the time still.
Back in the day (1959-1963), Stack played Detective Elliot Ness in The Untouchables TV series. Brought to you in glorious black & white.

Deep Purple

I discovered KFC after I moved from FW to Jackson Hole in '99. The Teton Mountains were/are just amazing to me. It goes from straight prairie land to massive, beautiful mountains. It helped bring me peace of mind after a rough time. I am awestruck by the Tetons to this day.
Interesting thing... Le Grand Tetons were named by early 19th-century French fur trappers. Literally means "The Big T-i-t-s" Mountains.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No, I’d be happy to recount my broadcasting travels, but I’m not sure anyone has the time to read the entire list (it IS a transient business).

I began by working at WBAP (3 different times, including TV - now known as KXAS). I also had 3 different tenures at both KFJZ (AM and FM) and KXOL in Fort Worth. Then, in Dallas I toiled at KNUS (twice), and KAFM.

In between those jobs, I made stops at KEEL in Shreveport (twice), XEROK in El Paso (oh, the stories I could tell!), and KYA AM & FM in San Francisco. I was also the Network Program Director and morning show host for Armed Forces Radio in Seoul, South Korea, and I reported sports on AFKN-TV.

Eventually, I landed and stayed in Houston (still live in Sugar Land). I had a short run on KULF before the legendary Bill Young hired me at KILT for the job about which I wrote the book that Tony Lema was nice enough to mention, and I was blessed to keep that gig for almost 30 continuous years. During that time I had two on air TV jobs - Channel 20 and Channel 61.

After that came to an end, I briefly appeared on AM 1070 The Answer, but I wasn‘t quite as conservative as they wanted me to be, so I walked away. I’ve also done some syndication work in the Classic Rock format. I now teach voiceover from my home studio, and I have students all over the US.

I told you it was more than you wanted to hear.

Go Frogs!
Not at all. Those old station call letters bring back memories. Haven’t thought KFJZ in years. It was one of our two to AM rock stations in late 60s and early 70s.

While still in HS in the 60s one night in Houston a couple of us went down to KILT (on Lovett?) To try and get Steve Lundy (2 in a row on the Steve Lundy Show) to play something. We all thought there’d be some fancy building, but it seemed to be a crappy 3 or 4 story building with foil on the broadcast room window. Don’t recall if he played anything, but did yell hi out the window.

Last edited: