• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

82 Frog Fever

Should the Big 12 consider offering immediate membership to San Diego State? They are legit and the Pac 12 isn't moving quickly on them. At this point, the PAC 12 needs them almost more than they need the PAC 12. If the Big 12 gave them membership, it could offer leverage for other PAC 12 schools to follow.
The Pac12 wants SDSU because they’re trying to survive.
The Big12 does not want SDSU because they’re trying to expand.
P5 Conferences invite G5 fb teams only when they’re in survival mode.

…assuming BY is talking to UConn about basketball only

Last edited:

Limey Frog

I don't get the Gonzaga thing, but if you're going to try it and the maths works, I'd get Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, and St. John's (or U Conn but not in football). Try to take the Big East's place in the basketball landscape, and basically have a basketball superleague if you end up with several Pac schools joining as well.

But I think we're better off not adding non-football members.

82 Frog Fever

I don't get the Gonzaga thing, but if you're going to try it and the maths works, I'd get Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, and St. John's (or U Conn but not in football). Try to take the Big East's place in the basketball landscape, and basically have a basketball superleague if you end up with several Pac schools joining as well.

But I think we're better off not adding non-football members.
That’s appears to be moving forward somewhat rapidly, except I don’t think Nova is included.

Eight

The Pac12 wants SDSU because they’re trying to survive.
The Big12 does not SDSU because they’re trying to expand.
P5 Conferences invite G5 fb teams only when they’re in survival mode.

…assuming BY is talking to UConn about basketball only

why would any conference let uconn move their most valuable asset and let them park their other17-18 sports after uconn hurt the conferences market value?

similar to texas and ou coming to the big 12 and asking to keep all their other sports in the big 12 and only football is moving to the sec. why do you say yes to that?

understand that yormark has this vision of creating an nba nationwide conference out of men's college teams, but how does this even work?

nothing wrong with exploring ideas, but there is nothing to be gained by taking on dead weight and damn near any added sport to the conference aside from football and basketball is added travel costs etc.. and not more revenue

82 Frog Fever

why would any conference let uconn move their most valuable asset and let them park their other17-18 sports after uconn hurt the conferences market value?

similar to texas and ou coming to the big 12 and asking to keep all their other sports in the big 12 and only football is moving to the sec. why do you say yes to that?

understand that yormark has this vision of creating an nba nationwide conference out of men's college teams, but how does this even work?

nothing wrong with exploring ideas, but there is nothing to be gained by taking on dead weight and damn near any added sport to the conference aside from football and basketball is added travel costs etc.. and not more revenue
Wow, did that really happen with OUT? That’s hilarious.

Yes, It is uncharted territory. I sure hope BY‘s grand vision is predicated on some darn good analysis. The logistics alone seem daunting.

Limey Frog

WWE CEO Nick Khan comments on the Pac 12 on Marchand's sports media podcast:

Comments on this start at 34:30.

Highlights as follows:

--Says the Pac is "in a tough spot". They can't just go with "the biggest money"; need a shorter term deal with exposure not a bigger-paying steamer.

--Brett Yormark was really smart to move quickly and fill content needs ESPN had after losing the Big Ten.

--Pac got fooled on 'The Alliance', then wasted time on politics post-UCLA departure: "whining is not a strategy."

This doesn't sound like he thinks a deal is out there for the Pac that would both beat Big 12 money and not require near-exclusive streaming. FWTW.

Last edited:

Eight

WWE CEO Nick Khan comments on the Pac 12 on Marchand's sports media podcast:

Comments on this start at 34:30.

Highlights as follows:

--Says the Pac is "in a tough spot". They can't just go with "the biggest money"; need a shorter term deal with exposure not a bigger-paying steamer.

--Brett Yormark was really smart to move quickly and fill content needs ESPN had after losing the Big Ten.

--Pac got filled on 'The Alliance', then wasted time on politics post-UCLA departure: "whining is not a strategy."

This doesn't sound like he thinks a deal is out there for the Pac that would both best Big 12 money and not require near-exclusive streaming. FWTW.

wait, wait, wait......this thread has gone from academic and research grant dick measuring among the pac,big10, and big 12 schools to the thoughts of the guy who is running vince mcmahon's company?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
hmmm...think the bull dog, danny fletcher would do a better job than some of the b12 crews

waiting for the roundtable on the future of college football with the rock, steve austin, goldberg, and dr. death steve williams
It wouldn't be any more ridiculous than it is now...

Limey Frog

wait, wait, wait......this thread has gone from academic and research grant dick measuring among the pac,big10, and big 12 schools to the thoughts of the guy who is running vince mcmahon's company?
Listen, if you don't think being a muckety-muck at WWF WWE makes a guy a qualified expert on anything he damn well wants to talk about, then a) I can't help you, and b) my friend here needs to talk to you.

In all seriousness, I understand that WWE just went through this process and talked to all of the same people, so this guy has a pretty good insider perspective on what Kliavkoff is facing. Plus he was at the SEC head office before this gig, so he knows a lot about college athletics specifically.

I did say "for what it's worth". Maybe not that much.

Eight

Listen, if you don't think being a muckety-muck at WWF WWE makes a guy a qualified expert on anything he damn well wants to talk about, then a) I can't help you, and b) my friend here needs to talk to you.

In all seriousness, I understand that WWE just went through this process and talked to all of the same people, so this guy has a pretty good insider perspective on what Kliavkoff is facing. Plus he was at the SEC head office before this gig, so he knows a lot about college athletics specifically.

I did say "for what it's worth". Maybe not that much.

truthfully limey, i respect and value the opinion of the head of wwe over the college presidents and those who tout academic prestige when it comes to college sports affiliation

the only difference between a gold digger and a Briles is what they call themselves because they both scheiss for money

pro wrestling is entertainment in an athletic setting and the soap opera aspect of the broadcasts is no more contrived and [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] than the weekly cfp show put on by espn.

college sports is entertainment period. down to the intro music, hype videos, social media, and pyrotechnics

now can I get the undertaker to choke slam reese davis next fall on game day?

Endless Purple

To be honest, I would not be against it, on the condition they paid the Big 12 to host their teams. They pay the Big 12 $20 million a year, per school, to allow them a place for their other sports, and I am good with it. Another revenue stream for the conference.

Limey Frog

truthfully limey, i respect and value the opinion of the head of wwe over the college presidents and those who tout academic prestige when it comes to college sports affiliation

the only difference between a gold digger and a Briles is what they call themselves because they both scheiss for money

pro wrestling is entertainment in an athletic setting and the soap opera aspect of the broadcasts is no more contrived and [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] than the weekly cfp show put on by espn.

college sports is entertainment period. down to the intro music, hype videos, social media, and pyrotechnics

now can I get the undertaker to choke slam reese davis next fall on game day?
Right, elitist academic types can tell themselves and others whatever they want, but the decisions will always follow the way the money is generated and distributed in the end. So if you want to know what is happening and is likely to happen, it's best to ask people who understand that part of the process.

Right now it doesn't look likely that the Pac will come up with something which satisfies what everyone has said are their non-negotiables. How non-negotiable those things turn out to be, and what, if anything, that means for the Big 12 time will tell.

I'm glad the Big 12 is in the position we're in right now, though. It's remarkable when you think back to how it all felt in the summer of 2021. We were dead and buried, then this happened...

xKWwby.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts