• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Hemingway

There are 2 Pac12 podcasts reporting that the ESPN offer is $90m per season for 5 seasons for 2 games per week. 1 on TV and 1 on ESPN+.
If that’s true, approx. 2/3 of any media proposal would have to be streaming.
What’s so bad about the Big 12? It feels like they would rather do anything than leave their research conference. It seems the only two that had initiative left asap.

82 Frog Fever

The Big 12 is going to make about 20-30M/yr/program less than the SEC and Big 10. I don't think it's the end of the world for the PAC if they make $5M/yr less than Big 12 teams.
It’s more like $5m and only 30% of their games on TV.
It’s really way worse than 30% on TV, as nearly all of the TV games would go to Or., Wash., & UU in tier 1.

It only takes 1, and if 1 leaves, more will follow.

Then it’s the new Pac12 with SMU, SDSU, Fresno, Co. St., & maybe even more Mtn West teams.
Once they’re added, it’s more like a $15m difference, cause their new P12 media deal will be less than $20m.

Last edited:

Creeperfrog

It’s more like $5m and only 30% of their games on TV.
It’s really way worse than 30% on TV, as nearly all of the TV games would go to Or., Wash., & UU in tier 1.

It only takes 1, and if 1 leaves, more will follow.

Then it’s the new Pac12 with SMU, SDSU, Fresno, Co. St., & maybe even more Mtn West teams.
Once they’re added, it’s more like a $15m difference, cause their new P12 media deal will be less than $20m.
Do we go after ou and wu knowing that they would leave just to kill the pac? Once they get the big 10 invite, then get the 4 corners? Or would the 12 seem weak, media wise

Limey Frog

Do we go after ou and wu knowing that they would leave just to kill the pac? Once they get the big 10 invite, then get the 4 corners? Or would the 12 seem weak, media wise
Oregon and Washington have been completely silent in this whole saga. No one has any clue what they would do, so this is pure conjecture, but I think if they couldn't beg their way into the Big Ten right away they would do something unorthodox. Maybe go independent in football and sell their games directly to ESPN or Amazon while arranging a Notre Dame-ACC type deal with an expanded Pac that is now basically the MWC-plus.

fanatical frog

Oregon and Washington have been completely silent in this whole saga. No one has any clue what they would do, so this is pure conjecture, but I think if they couldn't beg their way into the Big Ten right away they would do something unorthodox. Maybe go independent in football and sell their games directly to ESPN or Amazon while arranging a Notre Dame-ACC type deal with an expanded Pac that is now basically the MWC-plus.
Wouldn't be surprising....at all.... I read a month or so back that Oregon media rights would be $45 million-ish with Washington not too far behind.

Limey Frog

Wouldn't be surprising....at all.... I read a month or so back that Oregon media rights would be $45 million-ish with Washington not too far behind.
I've wondered how big of a factor this is on the Pac even reaching a deal. If they know that they don't want or expect to be in the league for more than 3-5 years, that they need around $40M a year and could get it outside of a league deal even if they don't join the Big Ten, why would they sign a deal in the first place?

The only answer, really, is because having to make one major change like going independent, only to make another two years later, would be a headache for administrators. Finding 5-6 quality non-conference football games per year on short notice is hard work, etc. (Just ask BYU.) But what is the premium Oregon and UW admins will pay to not have that headache? Is it losing $15M a year and having their games on AppleTV?

Hemingway

Tick tock GK…

Doc Brown Waiting GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

82 Frog Fever

I've wondered how big of a factor this is on the Pac even reaching a deal. If they know that they don't want or expect to be in the league for more than 3-5 years, that they need around $40M a year and could get it outside of a league deal even if they don't join the Big Ten, why would they sign a deal in the first place?

The only answer, really, is because having to make one major change like going independent, only to make another two years later, would be a headache for administrators. Finding 5-6 quality non-conference football games per year on short notice is hard work, etc. (Just ask BYU.) But what is the premium Oregon and UW admins will pay to not have that headache? Is it losing $15M a year and having their games on AppleTV?
It’s a crazy environment.
Most of the ESPN games would be Tier 1/2 and involve Oregon, Wash., or UU. ESPN has offered $90m per season for 2 games a week, and the P12 has again turned their nose up.

Now it looks like ESPN has figured out they can get those games even cheaper by offering two of those teams $35-$40m each to join the B12 and they’re working that angle with B12 contract + signing bonus.

The new B10 commissioner arrives on the 17th. I think they’ll go for Washington and either Stanford, Utah, or Oregon. It could be Stanford, as they blow away Oregon in academics & grants and they’re close with USC/UCLA.
This thing could really break open in late April - early May.

Hemingway

It’s a crazy environment.
Most of the ESPN games would be Tier 1/2 and involve Oregon, Wash., or UU. ESPN has offered $90m per season for 2 games a week, and the P12 has again turned their nose up.

Now it looks like ESPN has figured out they can get those games even cheaper by offering two of those teams $35-$40m each to join the B12 and they’re working that angle with B12 contract + signing bonus.

The new B10 commissioner arrives on the 17th. I think they’ll go for Washington and either Stanford, Utah, or Oregon. It could be Stanford, as they blow away Oregon in academics & grants and they’re close with USC/UCLA.
This thing could really break open in late April - early May.
You’re saying 35-40 to who to join the big12? Clarify please

82 Frog Fever

You’re saying 35-40 to who to join the big12? Clarify please
The story was ESPN is exploring other ways to get the P12 games by working deals that would offer some 2 team combination of Oregon, Wash., or UU the B12 contract + a series of signing bonuses to get them in the $35-$40m range.
This would allow ESPN to get the same TV games at $70-$80m, instead of $90m.

I‘ve seen the story in 3 different places, and it does sound like a logical offer,
but no clue if they’re right.

Of course it wouldn’t work if the B10 offered Wash and Oregon, but I also heard the B10 may not be nearly as hot for Oregon as some have said. Their academics and grants aren’t anything close to what Stanford would be with Washington.

Hemingway

The story was ESPN is exploring other ways to get the P12 games by working deals that would offer some 2 team combination of Oregon, Wash., or UU the B12 contract + a series of signing bonuses to get them in the $35-$40m range.
This would allow ESPN to get the same TV games at $70-$80m, instead of $90m.

I‘ve seen the story in 3 different places, and it does sound like a logical offer,
but no clue if they’re right.

Of course it wouldn’t work if the B10 offered Wash and Oregon, but I also heard the B10 may not be nearly as hot for Oregon as some have said. Their academics and grants aren’t anything close to what Stanford would be with Washington.
And stick it to fox and the big 10 in the process.

JFTanner

Should the Big 12 consider offering immediate membership to San Diego State? They are legit and the Pac 12 isn't moving quickly on them. At this point, the PAC 12 needs them almost more than they need the PAC 12. If the Big 12 gave them membership, it could offer leverage for other PAC 12 schools to follow.

Eight

Should the Big 12 consider offering immediate membership to San Diego State? They are legit and the Pac 12 isn't moving quickly on them. At this point, the PAC 12 needs them almost more than they need the PAC 12. If the Big 12 gave them membership, it could offer leverage for other PAC 12 schools to follow.

legit what?

Limey Frog

Hard no. If the Pac can't get a deal we'll get better schools. If they can, we stay put and don't want to get stuck with SDSU. They are a homeless man's UCLA, which is a poor man's USC.

TCUdirtbag

No. And the Big 12 is not.