• The KillerFrogs

Game Day: TCU at SMU - BATTLE FOR THE IRON SKILLET pt. 73 - Sept 24th, 2022

Eight

the addition of a COMPETENT special teams coach has shown up this year and was huge in this game and not just the return game

amazingly this team knew exactly what to do on the onside kick

not sure what the heck happened to the play calling in the third quarter, hopefully riley has gotten that out of his system

the offensive tackles were not good in pass protection unless smu has a couple of guys playing defensive end who are going to be in the nfl next season. they much get better

the one concern on the defense is something that can't be fixed and that is the inability of the defensive line to rush the passer, but that is a byproduct of recruiting

good win because first and foremost it was a win, skill talent on offensive is legit and max once again made throws today he hasn't in the prior three seasons which is a good thing.

DutchFrog

We knew it wouldn't be an EASY game. We didn't want it to be either. If it was easy, then that means Dykes didn't do a good job building his last program and that wouldn't look good for the future of our program. Instead, he built as good of an SMU team as you can build and then elevated our TCU team to beat them for the first time since 2018. We are definitely not clean or perfect, but who knows how that game would’ve gone if the staffs were still the same as they’d been?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow. That was an illuminating game.

When the "Season Win Predictions" thread came up this year, I put down 7-5. I had no idea what we were working with. Now, I have a pretty good idea of what we're working with, and 7-5 looks a wee bit optimistic.

OU is going to tear out our guts and do interpretive dances with them. We are absolutely unable to pressure opposing QBs, and OU has far and away better talent than lowly SMU, much less Tarleton and CO. OU will score at will. Considering our 3rd quarter offensive hibernation, with little in the way of halftime adjustments, I can't see us matching them score for score. I am pretty sure we're looking at a Nationally Televised Ritual Sacrifice.

We are a middle-of-the-pack BIGXII team. We have no defensive line. Our offensive line is spotty (at best) in pass protection, and pretty good on run blocking. We have fabulous skill players on offense, but with the lack of balance on the offensive line we cannot count on consistency.

Move over Boston Frog...

HG73

Would have taken a miracle for smu to win this game after we got up by 14. But sheesh smu converted a ton of third and long. Pretty good defense to get them into third and long every time. But we gotta get off the field.

Hodges Tomlinson fought that guy like a tiger all day. Two of those PI were bogus.

LVH

OU is going to tear out our guts and do interpretive dances with them.
I dont see why so many think OU are world beaters... yeah they beat a Nebraska team in shambles but Kent State played with them for a half and UTEP outplayed them in the 2nd/3rd quarters. OU is better than we are, yeah, but they are not as good as they have been. And their QB is highly overrated who is no where near the passer Tanner Mordecai is

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Wow. That was an illuminating game.

When the "Season Win Predictions" thread came up this year, I put down 7-5. I had no idea what we were working with. Now, I have a pretty good idea of what we're working with, and 7-5 looks a wee bit optimistic.

OU is going to tear out our guts and do interpretive dances with them. We are absolutely unable to pressure opposing QBs, and OU has far and away better talent than lowly SMU, much less Tarleton and CO. OU will score at will. Considering our 3rd quarter offensive hibernation, with little in the way of halftime adjustments, I can't see us matching them score for score. I am pretty sure we're looking at a Nationally Televised Ritual Sacrifice.

We are a middle-of-the-pack BIGXII team. We have no defensive line. Our offensive line is spotty (at best) in pass protection, and pretty good on run blocking. We have fabulous skill players on offense, but with the lack of balance on the offensive line we cannot count on consistency.

Move over Boston Frog...
I can’t join you on the ledge. Outside of OU the B12 ain’t that good

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I dont see why so many think OU are world beaters... yeah they beat a Nebraska team in shambles but Kent State played with them for a half and UTEP outplayed them in the 2nd/3rd quarters. OU is better than we are, yeah, but they are not as good as they have been. And their QB is highly overrated.
Perhaps. Yet, they are competent, and their receiver corps is big, skilled, and they can all catch the danged ball. SMU had one guy like that. OU has five. Also, perhaps their QB is overrated. But if he has time to sit in the pocket, and leisurely pick his targets, it really doesn't matter. Any P5 QB will look good given all day to throw.

Froggy Style

Handful of people that are whining each week about not getting pressure on QB.

The entire point is to keep him from running the ball while dropping 8 and giving up less points than the offense.

Gary’s defense worked until RPO made it a useless defense that gave up deep tds every time he blitzed.

Complaining about a lack of pressure when you intentionally only rush 3 shows a complete lack of understanding of football and math.

SMU was scoring at will last year and we’re the ones bleeding the clock at the end…but we got better pressure with all of the 6-7 men running at the QB. Boy last year was fun.

Armadillo

Go Frogs!

Refs were truly bad today for our Frogs.

Some suspect play calling at times but also some other great calls.

Defense bended and broke a few times. But overall a good game.

I’m glad we won. I’m even happier I’m just now checking the GDT.

All joking aside, we won a tough formerly rival game. That’s good.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
We knew it wouldn't be an EASY game. We didn't want it to be either. If it was easy, then that means Dykes didn't do a good job building his last program and that wouldn't look good for the future of our program. Instead, he built as good of an SMU team as you can build and then elevated our TCU team to beat them for the first time since 2018. We are definitely not clean or perfect, but who knows how that game would’ve gone if the staffs were still the same as they’d been?
Good perspective, SMU is a darn good program and not the SMU of the 90s and 00s thanks to SD