• The KillerFrogs

Game Day: TCU at SMU - BATTLE FOR THE IRON SKILLET pt. 73 - Sept 24th, 2022

Eight

Handful of people that are whining each week about not getting pressure on QB.

The entire point is to keep him from running the ball while dropping 8 and giving up less points than the offense.

Gary’s defense worked until RPO made it a useless defense that gave up deep tds every time he blitzed.

Complaining about a lack of pressure when you intentionally only rush 3 shows a complete lack of understanding of football and math.

SMU was scoring at will last year and we’re the ones bleeding the clock at the end…but we got better pressure with all of the 6-7 men running at the QB. Boy last year was fun.

rushing three doesn't mean the defense is basically giving up on trying to create any pressure on the quarterback

paxon and goodlow last year for tulsa both were able to create pressure and negative plays in gillespie's defense. iowa state has been able to create pressure and west virginia has 3 athletes up front who have that ability to create pressure

don't think anyone is expecting a double digit sack total from the frogs defensive front, but i doubt if gillespie is comfortable with 5-6 second routes because i do know the math that the longer a quarterback has to scan the field with no pressure the higher the probability of them finding a receiver

still think we see more pressure from the linebackers, but they need to get a few guys back because there is a drop in the athleticism

Eight

Yes. You've been here long enough to know that.

That was a win, yes. Was it a pretty win? No. Did we play to the best of our ability? No. Not hardly. Was the week to week improvement of skills and teamwork apparent? Nope. Were gaping holes in our schemes and execution exposed and exploited? Oh, yeah. Were individual weaknesses of our players exposed? Yep.

Some here are noting that SMU is much improved, was a good opponent, isn't the SMU of old, etc. Maybe so. What I saw today out of the Frogs left me feeling like we escaped by the hair on our chinny-chin-chin, and that a better team will just kick the living crap out of us.

We shall see.

don't agree that we haven't seen the week to week improvement.

smu might not be a great team, but they are better talent in key positions and schematically than i think you are giving them credit and the frogs have continued to look sharp on special teams, catching the ball, executing out on the edge blocking and max continued to look sharp throwing the football

really can't think out a situation where he made a what the heck throw and i think the deep ball to malcolm that was underthrown is how he has been taught to throw that ball.

frogs had a chance to put this game away in the third, but didn't for a couple of reasons. one was play calling that seemed to loss focus just like the unit did coming out after half time.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
don't agree that we haven't seen the week to week improvement.

smu might not be a great team, but they are better talent in key positions and schematically than i think you are giving them credit and the frogs have continued to look sharp on special teams, catching the ball, executing out on the edge blocking and max continued to look sharp throwing the football

really can't think out a situation where he made a what the heck throw and i think the deep ball to malcolm that was underthrown is how he has been taught to throw that ball.

frogs had a chance to put this game away in the third, but didn't for a couple of reasons. one was play calling that seemed to loss focus just like the unit did coming out after half time.
You are correct that I did not mention Max. He has improved, and he made a couple of "Holy crap!" throws (and subsequent catches!) that kept things moving and morale positive. Our WRs have also learned how to catch, which is very encouraging after three years of them being unable to do so.

I am still just flummoxed by the 3rd quarter playcalling. What the hell were they trying to do there? And Max taking hits running the ball, when he has such excellent running backs, is simply dumb. The WR screens are ineffective. We keep beating our heads against a concrete wall with that play, and all we're doing is making ourselves dumber. Stop it.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I think Riley and company were still in line waiting for their drinks.

LisaLT

Well I am happy. We got a win against a team that was HIGHLY motivated to beat us at their place.

Sure there were some bad calls, PIs and other botched plays, but we did always manage to answer. I like that we got two INTs. That was really important.

I wish at times we stuck more with the running game because when Max holds the ball too long looking for someone to throw to, bad things happen. He’s improved from last year, but he’s had it really easy up until today. Next week will be a real test.

Our running game is solid. We need to scheme and use them as much as possible against out division rivals.

Eight

You are correct that I did not mention Max. He has improved, and he made a couple of "Holy crap!" throws (and subsequent catches!) that kept things moving and morale positive. Our WRs have also learned how to catch, which is very encouraging after three years of them being unable to do so.

I am still just flummoxed by the 3rd quarter playcalling. What the hell were they trying to do there? And Max taking hits running the ball, when he has such excellent running backs, is simply dumb. The WR screens are ineffective. We keep beating our heads against a concrete wall with that play, and all we're doing is making ourselves dumber. Stop it.

really would have liked to see a bit more diamond formation in the 3rd quarter

though savion played well , but curious where was quentin in the mid range passing game

think this is a better coached team in terms of players being in the right place to make plays.

Eight

Well I am happy. We got a win against a team that was HIGHLY motivated to beat us at their place.

Sure there were some bad calls, PIs and other botched plays, but we did always manage to answer. I like that we got two INTs. That was really important.

I wish at times we stuck more with the running game because when Max holds the ball too long looking for someone to throw to, bad things happen. He’s improved from last year, but he’s had it really easy up until today. Next week will be a real test.

Our running game is solid. We need to scheme and use them as much as possible against out division rivals.

straight drop back out of 5-wide was no bueno and didn't understand why they kept trying to force it at times. reminded me of the first half of the isu game in 2020

when the frogs used play action there were some good things that opened up in the passing game and as i mentioned elsewhere i really would have liked to see more diamond formation

CountryFrog

Handful of people that are whining each week about not getting pressure on QB.

The entire point is to keep him from running the ball while dropping 8 and giving up less points than the offense.

Gary’s defense worked until RPO made it a useless defense that gave up deep tds every time he blitzed.

Complaining about a lack of pressure when you intentionally only rush 3 shows a complete lack of understanding of football and math.

SMU was scoring at will last year and we’re the ones bleeding the clock at the end…but we got better pressure with all of the 6-7 men running at the QB. Boy last year was fun.
The concern for me isn't a lack of pressure when rushing 3, it's the number of times we sent 1-3 extra rushers and still didn't get home. You do need to occasionally get to the QB and we had a handful of 5 or 6 man pressures that didn't effect the QB and resulted in big plays down the field.

HG73

Agree, except for the WR screens. We execute those pretty well now. Compared to the previous 5 years when they all lost yards or were incomplete. Better QB play and better receivers help.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Agree, except for the WR screens. We execute those pretty well now. Compared to the previous 5 years when they all lost yards or were incomplete. Better QB play and better receivers help.
I absolutely agree on WR blocking, which has been the key to a great many good runs. But the WR screens may get us 2-3 yards. While you note that in the past they were highly unsuccessful, now they are merely not very good at all.

Pharm Frog

The concern for me isn't a lack of pressure when rushing 3, it's the number of times we sent 1-3 extra rushers and still didn't get home. You do need to occasionally get to the QB and we had a handful of 5 or 6 man pressures that didn't effect the QB and resulted in big plays down the field.
I agree. Part of the issue IMO is that they seem to be coming from too deep and a shade too late.

82 Frog Fever

Wow, I didnt get that.
It was a weird 4th quarter, but if anything, TCU was closer to winning by 20 than ever losing.

The B12 is wide open and anybody can beat anybody. Most conference teams appear to have just as many, if not more flaws than the Frogs do. I still like our chances to win 4 or even 5 conference games.

CountryFrog

I agree. Part of the issue IMO is that they seem to be coming from too deep and a shade too late.
Agree. Some of it is by design I'm sure but you don't want it to always be that way. I'm sure there is still some figuring out of the scheme by players and personnel by coaches but we've got 6 days to figure it out before [ Finebaum ] gets really real.

gofor2

rushing three doesn't mean the defense is basically giving up on trying to create any pressure on the quarterback

How often does a team get pressure when rushing 3? I would think the percentages are quite low. Unless the competition is just a bunch of stiffs