• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Interesting story about Elvis and the La Hayride. My father, who would have been 92 yrs old this year, was part of the group of stations in the 50's that sponsored and promoted the Hayride. My father and mother meet Elvis and thought he was very nice, but very shy. Elvis slept on one my father's DJ's couch along with the other members of his band in a tiny apartment in Bossier City.
One of my TCU classmates had an Uncle who lived in Memphis. He was the M.E. When the whole "Is Elvis Alive" craze swept the nation, the story was the Uncle said, "Nope. His brain's in a jar on my desk."

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Finished watching The Terminal List last night--enjoyed it--thanks to those here who posted about it.

Much better than an earlier Chris Pine movie I watched--The Contractor-- this time he played a discharged U.S. Special Forces sergeant who risks everything for his family when he joins a private contracting organization.

Finally, if you want to watch a very graphic Matthew McConaughey movie, watch Killer Joe. Violence, gore, and full-frontal nudity (not him). McConaughey plays a Dallas PD detective who does hit jobs on the side--and trades his services for a chance to deflower a client's young daughter. Definitely not suitable for Quilter.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
thought elvis did not go into enough of the stories you mentioned and way, way too much of the over the top which is basically what the director has done with everyone of his movie
Saw semi fat Elvis at the TCCC in 73 or 74. Liked his ballads, but was never a big fan. My wife worked at TCCC and got front row tickets and basically looked up at him all night. Though not a fan I have to admit it was an experience. Since we were so close to the stage we couldn’t see him walk out. The people up high saw him first and the screaming came down to the front like a breaking wave. You’d have thought Jesus had returned.

He forgot the words to one song half way through, but other than some mumbling he sounded like himself. He talked between songs, threw sweaty scarfs, introduced his backups and let them all do little solo bit’s. I’ll never forget his bass singer. He started out on a note as high as he could sing, which wasn’t very, to as low as could go, which was.This guy had the whole convention center rumbling. Like standing next to B-29 revving up (Just like in the movie they wore white bell bottoms and but unlike the movie you could tell they had no underwear, that had every female giggling). Allegedly some woman streaked down an aisle, didn’t see it. But did see a lot of bras and panties being thrown! It was definitely an experience. Also saw him at the Houston Rodeo in 66 or 67 from the comfort of the Dome Club. Could barely make out his songs. The Dome was not the best concert venue…the prime rib was good though!

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Saw semi fat Elvis at the TCCC in 73 or 74. Liked his ballads, but was never a big fan. My wife worked at TCCC and got front row tickets and basically looked up at him all night. Though not a fan I have to admit it was an experience. Since we were so close to the stage we couldn’t see him walk out. The people up high saw him first and the screaming came down to the front like a breaking wave. You’d have thought Jesus had returned.

He forgot the words to one song half way through, but other than some mumbling he sounded like himself. He talked between songs, threw sweat scarfs, introduced his backups and let them all do little solo bit’s. I’ll never forget his bass singer. He started out on a note as high as he could sing, which wasn’t very, to as low as could go, which was.This guy had the whole convention center rumbling. Like standing next to B-29 revving up (Just like in the movie they wore white bell bottoms and but unlike the movie you could tell they had no underwear, that had every female giggling. Allegedly some woman streaked down an aisle, didn’t see it. But did see a lot of bras and panties being thrown! It was definitely an experience. Also saw him at the Houston Rodeo in 66 or 67 from the comfort of the Dome Club. Could barely make out his songs. The Dome was not the best concert venue…the prime rib was good though!
First Wives Club Dance GIF by BET

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Re: Elvis

When TCU played in the Independence Bowl, (Edit: Liberty Bowl) the Princess insisted that we visit Graceland. I went under mild protest but I have to admit from the moment we entered the house to the moment we left the museum I was more and more fascinated. I really got a feel for how Elvis the human became Elvis Incorporated and all of the attendant pressure and responsibility that followed.

When we got home, I dived into the Peter Guralnick biography. I recommend it to anyone interested in further study. I have yet to see the movie…reviews are all over the board but I intend to give it a look.

Last edited:

YA

Re: Elvis

When TCU played in the Independence Bowl, the Princess insisted that we visit Graceland. I went under mild protest but I have to admit from the moment we entered the house to the moment we left the museum I was more and more fascinated. I really got a feel for how Elvis the human became Elvis Incorporated and all of the attendant pressure and responsibility that followed.

When we got home, I dived into the Peter Guralnick biography. I recommend it to anyone interested in further study. I have yet to see the movie…reviews are all over the board but I intend to give it a look.
You mean liberty bowl I’m sure.