• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

gofor2

North Carolina is the only AAU school in your list.
Oh, you mean the school with the most far reaching and longest lasting scandal in the history of the NCAA?
They cheated for decades and based on what they did, every one of their major sports should have been given the death penalty except for maybe the girls sports. Their nefarious behavior was that bad. However, I'm going to paraphrase a Jerry Tarkanian quote to explain why they didn't get any punishment.
"The NCAA is so mad at North Carolina, they are going to give Chicago St more sanctions".

FrogAbroad

I don’t know how anyone that went to a Big 12 school other than UT could root for the Longhorns. If they do, then maybe they don’t understand how Texas wrecked a terrific conference. A conference in the center of the country in contiguous Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and Iowa—what was a beautiful regional conference of its own, on par or even better than the SEC of that day!

The BIG TEN has Nebraska and Iowa, so maybe they should REIMAGINE the Old Big 8/Big 12 rivalries and help Nebraska. Steal Oklahoma and Missouri from the SEC and add Colorado, Kansas and finally TCU to tap into DFW/Texas viewership and recruiting. Tap into what the SEC already has—TEXAS and its 30 million people. DFW is ~8 million, the fourth largest metro viewership in the country. The BIG TEN WEST could then better utilize the entire state of Texas’ recruiting turf, and they NEED to.
Regarding TCU and the DFW market, it certainly is true that TCU usually would provide the best sports entertainment from a DFW-resident school, but is it really a favorite in that market? I think not.

If on some Saturday afternoon one TV channel were carrying TCU v. Baylor, and another channel simultaneously carrying Texas v. Mississippi State, I'm confident most of the DFW football-viewing public would tune in UT. Substitute OU for UT in that example and I believe the results would be similar, although, yes, OU's viewership would be less than Bevo's, but still superior to TCU's.

TCU doesn't own the DFW market, it just occasionally drops in, as far as the unwashed TV-viewing masses are concerned.

Paul in uhh

Regarding TCU and the DFW market, it certainly is true that TCU usually would provide the best sports entertainment from a DFW-resident school, but is it really a favorite in that market? I think not.

If on some Saturday afternoon one TV channel were carrying TCU v. Baylor, and another channel simultaneously carrying Texas v. Mississippi State, I'm confident most of the DFW football-viewing public would tune in UT. Substitute OU for UT in that example and I believe the results would be similar, although, yes, OU's viewership would be less than Bevo's, but still superior to TCU's.

TCU doesn't own the DFW market, it just occasionally drops in, as far as the unwashed TV-viewing masses are concerned.
It depends on the records. If TCU-baylor was against two 10-0 teams and UT-Ole Miss were both 4-6 then TCU probably draws better

Palliative Care

College (& Pro for that matter) football fans are fickle, because they have so many options especially day time games. With multiple games on they usually watch the most interesting match up but they seldom just watch teams because well I live nearby that school. "Fans" are loyal if their team is good and winning. Start losing and they go else where. Yes even Notre Dame fans drop off when losing season came. They like good teams and winners. It is as simple as that.

Bob Sugar

And yet some people seem to think Rutgers delivers the NYC market.

LVH

Oregon, Washington, Clemson and Florida St to the Big 12. It would be a ridiculous amount of travel but the TV networks don't seem to care about that.
If Clemson/FSU are able to legally get out of the ACC, it won't be the Big 12 they leave for

Paul in uhh

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Exactly. They must have more detailed statistics and I'm too lazy to look for them online.
Going with what you said, I think of Nebraska. I know Omaha is a [ #2020 ] sized TV market, but they have a national following, even though they have sucked for 20 years.
The University of Nebraska is in Lincoln.

Palliative Care

Only a troll would term anything about our situation as desperate. Right now there is relevant and desperately relevant. TCU is not desperate by any means. The Big 12 is not going away and is very relevant.

Schools like those remaining in the crumbling PAC 12 define the word desperate. We have been desperate particularly when the SWC dissolved. This is nothing like that was.

So go away troll.

Dogfrog

One of my favorite TCU business profs was a Stanford grad who used to regale us with his Stanford experiences. I was always partial to teachers who went off-book and were entertaining!

One of his fave haunts was the volunteer fire department on-campus. When I first visited there in the early '90s not only did I go up in the iconic Hoover Tower but I just had to go to the firehouse. It seemed to be a part of my history.

It was Dr Ken Herrick - at the time - President of the SW Conference. Along time ago, it was the '70s.

In those days I heard Rice referred to as "the Princeton of the South." Maybe if we can rub shoulders with Stanford, TCU can be the "Stanford of the South." (Save the liberalism please!) :D
Herrick was great. I was in his insurance class. No doubt the most entertaining prof I had at TCU. His lectures were often like standup.

Wexahu

Only a troll would term anything about our situation as desperate. Right now there is relevant and desperately relevant. TCU is not desperate by any means. The Big 12 is not going away and is very relevant.

Schools like those remaining in the crumbling PAC 12 define the word desperate. We have been desperate particularly when the SWC dissolved. This is nothing like that was.

So go away troll.
Good grief. Sensitive much?

I think I'll stay here as long as I want and as long as the mods will have me, thanks.