• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

McFroggin

ABSOLUTELY. Perfect conference member. 1. Big state flagship school. 2. #6 TV market. 3. Games in CA where the mountain teams (and us) recruit. 4. Almost a certain W with their left wing administration and faculty guaranteeing it in perpetuity. Add Stanford too. See 2, 3 and 4.
With one or two teams in CA the Big12 will be recruiting in TX, CA, FL, OHIO, AZ & COLO. And of course Louisiana for us. :)

Stanford pulls a much larger market share than Cal. It would be like adding another Kansas without basketball. Alumni don’t care about sports. Without their rival games of USC and UCLA, their viewership is crap.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The TV suits know the exact value of each team. They will tell us who adds value to our TV deal. We will add those teams.
This is the unspoken truth.

At the end of the tumultuous day, the BIGXII will do what TV tells them to do. "He who pays the piper calls the tune" and it's TV that has the fat purse which commands all. We can speculate about which teams would make a "good fit" regionally, or who would bring value based upon their location, but the TV Media people have their own arcane calculus which may or may not side with reality.

We're just along for the ride.

The TV suits know the exact value of each team. They will tell us who adds value to our TV deal. We will add those teams.

In addition the SF area provides recruiting for the mountain teams. And us.

I don't think SF provides any appeal in recruiting. I don't think LA will provide much appeal for B1G either. TOSU already gets their choice. Maybe a little here and there but after UCLA and USC get theirs the choices for western kids will be MWC or B12, assuming the 4 PAC teams go east. Also depends on what happens to Oregon but at this moment I see very little upside to add the Woke Universities outside of academic standing and rowing.

Virginia Frog

Add Stanford too.
One of my favorite TCU business profs was a Stanford grad who used to regale us with his Stanford experiences. I was always partial to teachers who went off-book and were entertaining!

One of his fave haunts was the volunteer fire department on-campus. When I first visited there in the early '90s not only did I go up in the iconic Hoover Tower but I just had to go to the firehouse. It seemed to be a part of my history.

It was Dr Ken Herrick - at the time - President of the SW Conference. Along time ago, it was the '70s.

In those days I heard Rice referred to as "the Princeton of the South." Maybe if we can rub shoulders with Stanford, TCU can be the "Stanford of the South." (Save the liberalism please!) :D

HG73

This is the unspoken truth.

At the end of the tumultuous day, the BIGXII will do what TV tells them to do. "He who pays the piper calls the tune" and it's TV that has the fat purse which commands all. We can speculate about which teams would make a "good fit" regionally, or who would bring value based upon their location, but the TV Media people have their own arcane calculus which may or may not side with reality.

We're just along for the ride.
Exactly. And we would change conferences in a NY minute for more money. And right now not one school anywhere trusts another.
What I don't get is USC & UCLA bringing $100mil EACH to the B1G. No way they're worth that together much less each. They both draw low 50s home attendance in a region that doesn't care about college football.

Paul in uhh

Exactly. And we would change conferences in a NY minute for more money. And right now not one school anywhere trusts another.
What I don't get is USC & UCLA bringing $100mil EACH to the B1G. No way they're worth that together much less each. They both draw low 50s home attendance in a region that doesn't care about college football.
Agreed - I never understood why everyone in the media seems to revere usc like Alabama or Ohio state.

ticketfrog123

UCLA and USC are top 15 international collegiate brands - mostly due to rich Asians that view those brands as equally “American” to them as the Yankees.

Not saying they’ll start streaming the football games to Asia, but MBB is a possibility.

HG73

UCLA and USC are top 15 international collegiate brands - mostly due to rich Asians that view those brands as equally “American” to them as the Yankees.

Not saying they’ll start streaming the football games to Asia, but MBB is a possibility.
How do we get some of the asian market?

ticketfrog123

How do we get some of the asian market?
Maybe that Disney movie about bram will help. Tbh no clue.

My Asian friends with foreign born parents made their kids believe that UCLA / Michigan were on par with Ivy League. I don’t think Americans equate them as peer schools but all good academically.

(I’m not Asian and can’t find too many sources other than below and anecdotal)

TCUdirtbag

My Asian friends with foreign born parents made their kids believe that UCLA / Michigan were on par with Ivy League. I don’t think Americans equate them as peer schools but all good academically.

This is a very weird conversation but UCLA, Michigan, and Cal are certainly the top public universities in the US. Education as good as the Ivy League and perhaps better in the sense it comes with a more traditional college experience.
They’re also public schools that carry private school price tags. Insane tuition.

TAINTed frog

Wut