• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Palliative Care

I have read a lot of opinions. I see good and bad points about everyone under consideration. I came into this with a list of things I thought we just had to have in a new coach. But I have finally come to the realization that we need to find and hire the best coach we can find and then every thing else will work out. I know too simplistic right, but why turn the best down for someone else because he fits a certain profile you have in mind?

East Coast

Tier 1
I think it's kinda funny that we consider coach's abilities with NIL and the Transfer Portal to be important. And for all intents and purposes neither of those were a thing three years ago...
Well, he's got to understand how and when to work the transfer portal. I'm not sure the NIL thing should be that important in a head coach. You could have other experts on staff and AD's office work that.

Wexahu

I have read a lot of opinions. I see good and bad points about everyone under consideration. I came into this with a list of things I thought we just had to have in a new coach. But I have finally come to the realization that we need to find and hire the best coach we can find and then every thing else will work out. I know too simplistic right, but why turn the best down for someone else because he fits a certain profile you have in mind?
What if the “best coach” is 1,500 miles away, doesn’t know a soul in Texas, and is 68 years old? Go ahead and hire him and assume everything will work out?

Define “best coach”.

Spike

Well, he's got to understand how and when to work the transfer portal. I'm not sure the NIL thing should be that important in a head coach. You could have other experts on staff and AD's office work that.
I would think this might be an issue of delegation. Coach doesn't have to know everything. He has to hire those who do.

TCUdirtbag

My meaningless and entirely inconsequential preferences fall into tiers:

Tier 1: Chris Petersen (a reliable home run hire but assuming a long-shot).

Tier 2: Kellen Moore (not sure if he would be Lincoln Riley at OU or Lane Kiffin at USC, but IMO the ceiling is so high, he’s worth the risk), and Billy Napier (I see no negatives, but I think this is a long shot).

Tier 3: Sonny Dykes (with the right staff he has a high floor and is a perfectly adequate coach for 4 years; he gets the portal and NIL; low risk/moderate reward), Tony Elliott (rough year but he knows how to win).

Tier 4: Jeff Traylor (I’m not convinced yet that this isn’t just bad opponents and good luck; can it translate to the P5, or even good G5?), Deion Sanders (high risk and any rewards are likely short term; what would the next search look like?).

Hard Pass: Jay Norvell, Curtis Modkins, and anyone related to a Briles.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
My thought…. He’s very likely gonna be disappointed.
Perhaps so.

But, he brings up good points about Moore's "size and strength" issues, and successfully overcoming them. I can remember reading Men At Work lo these many years ago, and the theory that Tony LaRussa (among others) made a good Manager because he wasn't a terribly gifted player: He had to work harder, work smarter, and find other ways to win. These mental lessons and inner strength gave him the insight to get just a little more out of his players than most. Moore was a cerebral player back in the day, and thrived in Peterson's well-executed system.

While I believe he would be an excellent Coach at TCU, the chances of him walking away from the NFL, and the Cowboys in particular, is pretty danged remote. He may well realize, however, that being named Head Coach of the Chicago Bears means an even heavier workload, far and away more angst and craziness, and the probable firing of himself and his whole staff in two years. The NFL is a grind, it doesn't care, and it is relentless.

We shall see.

Pharm Frog

Perhaps so.

But, he brings up good points about Moore's "size and strength" issues, and successfully overcoming them. I can remember reading Men At Work lo these many years ago, and the theory that Tony LaRussa (among others) made a good Manager because he wasn't a terribly gifted player: He had to work harder, work smarter, and find other ways to win. These mental lessons and inner strength gave him the insight to get just a little more out of his players than most. Moore was a cerebral player back in the day, and thrived in Peterson's well-executed system.

While I believe he would be an excellent Coach at TCU, the chances of him walking away from the NFL, and the Cowboys in particular, is pretty danged remote. He may well realize, however, that being named Head Coach of the Chicago Bears means an even heavier workload, far and away more angst and craziness, and the probable firing of himself and his whole staff in two years. The NFL is a grind, it doesn't care, and it is relentless.

We shall see.
I remember listening to Men at Work.

Wexahu

Perhaps so.

We shall see.
I think both NFL and College would be an equal grind, for obvious different reasons, but I agree the NFL is more ruthless.

I just don’t think Moore is a good long-term option, because I don’t think he’d stay long at all. I really doubt he’s all that serious a candidate.

Double D

Tier 1
Tom Herman

We’ve got so many discussions going on in different threads, might as well put it all in one place. So it looks like the known potential candidates at this point are….

Sonny Dykes - SMU HC
Billy Napier - Louisiana HC
Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina HC
Chris Petersen - former UW and Boise HC
Deion Sanders - Jackson St HC
Kellen Moore - Cowboys OC
Tony Elliott - Clemson OC
Jay Norvell - Nevada HC

Elliott was reportedly interviewed yesterday. There are obviously other names you could add to this list but they’re either pure speculation or guys that don’t appear interested (Jeff Traylor) and I’d prefer not to junk up the conversation with people constantly throwing out “but what about….”. If you’ve got something productive to add, have at it.