• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: The Iron Skillet, Episode 100

ECoastFrog

Slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop, slop.

Y'all keep talking about individual plays or decisions. Sooooo much needs to be fixed. Starting with the coaching.

Eight

I thought he made some poor reads at times - open receivers were not targeted or missed, but also he tends to revert back to throwing bullets at times, making potentially catchable balls hard to catch.

no doubt, they need to stop running the option because he looks like he has no idea what he is doing when he gets to the edge. he won't make the defender commit to him and he won't pitch when the back is in position for a big play

second half he looked like he was starting to panic and rush things. all the positives of the first half got washed away and a good part of that to me is putting the load of the offense on him instead of the run game

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In comparison, Bentley got 20 carries today, but they also ran 22 more plays overall, most of which at the end of the game where TCU couldn’t stop them to get the ball back.
To be fair, we couldn't stop them all day long. It was just worse in the 4th because we knew they would be running the ball.

Eight

if gary afterwards says this is on him he is only partly right because it is also on those who have the authority to hold him accountable, but ceded that authority long ago

seen nostalgia kill more than one business as well as athletic program

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
if gary afterwards says this is on him he is only partly right because it is also on those who have the authority to hold him accountable, but ceded that authority long ago

seen nostalgia kill more than one business as well as athletic program
GMFP had better take a long look in the mirror.

tetonfrog

I keep pointing at the defensive line being blown 5 yards off the line of scrimmage each play. I've never seen that from our defense. It allowed even their 3rd string RB to average damn near 10 yards a carry.

Being blown 5 yards off the line of scrimmage each play is a mental and physical toughness issue.

It is a talent issue.

SMU blowing our DL 5 yards off the ball every play does not show that TCU’s DL is weak-minded or timid. It shows that our DL is just weak period……..and what does our depth look like for later in the season when these guys are ground down even more?

Our DL struggle to get off blocks, our best LB should be our play-making safety & our second LB looks like a special teams player.

Yes, GP can fix some of the scheme issues & blown assignments, but he can’t make them run faster, get off blocks quicker & tackle a bigger, stronger RB in the fourth quarter. The talent dropoff from last year in our front six is what is so alarming to me.

I apologize for being in a gloom & doom mood, but I just watched SMU run for 350 yards at the Carter. The Ponies ground out 30 first downs.

Unbelievable,

netty2424

It is a talent issue.

SMU blowing our DL 5 yards off the ball every play does not show that TCU’s DL is weak-minded or timid. It shows that our DL is just weak period……..and what does our depth look like for later in the season when these guys are ground down even more?

Our DL struggle to get off blocks, our best LB should be our play-making safety & our second LB looks like a special teams player.

Yes, GP can fix some of the scheme issues & blown assignments, but he can’t make them run faster, get off blocks quicker & tackle a bigger, stronger RB in the fourth quarter. The talent dropoff from last year in our front six is what is so alarming to me.

I apologize for being in a gloom & doom mood, but I just watched SMU run for 350 yards at the Carter. The Ponies ground out 30 first downs.

Unbelievable,
Keep in mind who SMU’s S&C coach is.

I wish we had lost because we looked lost. We lost because the SMU OL mauled our DL from start to finish. You can at least hope to fix being lost. Can’t fix what I saw today.
Not saying we definitely will improve but every year some teams who start out like this find their mojo and turn things around quickly. Maybe a key player comes back from injury. Maybe a struggling starter is replaced. Maybe a change in game plan that fits the skills of the personnel better. OTOH other teams that struggle like this turn out to be a terrible defense all year long. We’ll have to see what happens with this defense.

Eight

GMFP had better take a long look in the mirror.

being honest with one's self isn't always easy and you have to have at least one person close who will always call your [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]

not sure if the first is truly happening and there is no one on that defensive staff who doesn't owe gary their job. bumpas had been hired and fired enough to know not to let the hc detour him from what needed to be done and how to accomplish that goal

Virginia Frog

Is this GP's worst number in opponent rushing, home or away? Did the Ponies make HISTORY today?

Man I remember when teams couldn't get ANY traction against our D. Under 100 yards was the typical case.