• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Eight

I would say the alliance has a 1, maybe 2 year lifespan. Until something is actually put on paper and signed (and as we know even signed agreements don't actually do anything beyond imposing some type of financial penalty) then this is nothing but a temporary PR move to try and counter the SEC aggression.

If/when the Big 10 wants to expand then their only real candidates are Notre Dame and the top ACC/PAC schools. I don't anyone actually believes that the Big 10 response to the SEC grabbing Texas and Oklahoma will be to add Kansas and Iowa St. That's laughable. If they want to respond then they will respond in kind with an actual power program. And this alliance will be as meaningful to them as the non-aggression pact between the Nazis and Soviet Union.

And to clarify the 1-2 year lifespan. I'm not saying that the Big 10 wool start expanding again in a year or two. I have no idea when that will actually happen or if it will happen. It just won't happen in the next 12-24 months. And the alliance itself only exists with any relevance as long as the Big 10 wants it to.

agreed and i think it is a huge mistake if the pac trusts the big 10

more importantly, i think once again we will see the pac get left out of the cfp this year and california is getting pillaged by schools from the east coming into the state and once again pulling out the state's top talent

usc to date has more kids from texas committed (3) than cali(2) and if they can somehow stem that outflow of talent they need to find a way to garner more eyeballs on their program

same with uo, cal, and stanford. all are becoming more and more dependent on recruiting outside the state of california

steelfrog

Tier 1
USC has 437,000 living alumni. TCU, by some estimates, 80,000.

TCU isn't going to dictate anything. It has very little to "sell." It can only hope for a charity deal like Chris swung with Dodds.

CountryFrog

agreed and i think it is a huge mistake if the pac trusts the big 10

more importantly, i think once again we will see the pac get left out of the cfp this year and california is getting pillaged by schools from the east coming into the state and once again pulling out the state's top talent

usc to date has more kids from texas committed (3) than cali(2) and if they can somehow stem that outflow of talent they need to find a way to garner more eyeballs on their program

same with uo, cal, and stanford. all are becoming more and more dependent on recruiting outside the state of california
If the PAC actually trusts the BIG then that is incredibly naive. I can't imagine that's the case but who knows. I think they're just hanging on for dear life as long as they can and the only way to do that is by working with the Big 10. But we've seen the Big 12 and SEC seemingly work together on many things over the last several years and that obviously meant nothing. I think the PAC is in a similar position in their relationship with the BIG. They need an ally somewhere even if it's one that is likely to turn into their enemy at some point.

If you’re were curious, the ranking of expansion candidates based on the data categories I noted before is below (weighted for TV value):

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

Reminder, this is just the pure data with the appropriate weighting, no adjustments or qualitative considerations which are necessary. It’s as simple as: If you asked ESPN who the most valuable options for CFB would be, this is the list.

I’ll also note the distance between 1 to 4 and 4 to 10 is quite different. The bottom half is pretty far down, top heavy list.

My map, in my opinion, remains the best option.

I would love to add new programs (Boise, BYU, UCF, Cincy) provisionally based upon their performance if they are added, but unfortunately the B12's brand may not be strong enough for such demands to be made.. I like the idea of adding 2 to remain a 10 team league after we've competed in one for 9 years- it makes every game count.
Assuming the reconstituted B12 would get included in the playoff -- and that's a big "IF" -- the round-robin format would only make it harder for the B12 to get a team in. We need 12 teams, 2 divisions, and maybe even a reduction to only 8 conference games.

Froggish

Assuming the reconstituted B12 would get included in the playoff -- and that's a big "IF" -- the round-robin format would only make it harder for the B12 to get a team in. We need 12 teams, 2 divisions, and maybe even a reduction to only 8 conference games.
100% on the 8 games…Round-Robin has been a killer for the B12. As I’ve noted before, it’s has robbed most the league teams of a sure win every year and it has cursed the league in to being perceived as an all middle class league. Round Robin has negatively impacted every member

Froggish

If you’re were curious, the ranking of expansion candidates based on the data categories I noted before is below (weighted for TV value):

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

Reminder, this is just the pure data with the appropriate weighting, no adjustments or qualitative considerations which are necessary. It’s as simple as: If you asked ESPN who the most valuable options for CFB would be, this is the list.

I’ll also note the distance between 1 to 4 and 4 to 10 is quite different. The bottom half is pretty far down, top heavy list.

What’s difficult to know is what is the minimum the B12 could add to get maximum value. If you don’t have to go to 14/16 than why would you.

Stopit

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

What do think about timing. Is there any chance the Big12 will take action sooner than later, or will they just wait and see?

HG73

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

Thanks, your information is invaluable.

How many of these teams would you invite to maximize income per school? 2? 8?

As for me, I take both Florida teams and call it a day. One trip to Florida every year and no BYU or UH. Just my opinion.

Moose Stuff

Thanks, your information is invaluable.

How many of these teams would you invite to maximize income per school? 2? 8?

As for me, I take both Florida teams and call it a day. One trip to Florida every year and no BYU or UH. Just my opinion.

People are anti BYU for reasons that just don’t matter or don’t apply. I hope the people in charge don’t think similarly.

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

Should there be some concern that the SEC or ACC might grab UCF or both UCF and USF?

Last edited:

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

As always thank you for your industry knowledge and thoughts on this hot mess. Sadly this list is both underwhelming and depressing. Reminds one a lot more of the Mountain West than the Big 12. I think it is safe to say there is not a school on this list minus BYU that would be a consideration for PAC12/Big10/ACC.

Moose Stuff

As always thank you for your industry knowledge and thoughts on this hot mess. Sadly this list is both underwhelming and depressing. Reminds one a lot more of the Mountain West than the Big 12. I think it is safe to say there is not a school on this list minus BYU that would be a consideration for PAC12/Big10/ACC.

Who did you think was gonna be on the list???

Eight

where did you expect the big 12 to find teams that would merit consideration for the pac/big10/ acc that aren't already in those conferences?

isn't that the crux of the matter in that there are no schools out there that can replace ou and texas and therefore the only options would seem to be either hoping for an invite which may happen over time or add teams to the conference which means bringing on the best of the other conferences?

Planks

UCF
Houston
BYU
USF
Cincinnati
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
Colorado St
ECU

I believe the top 5, but I have somewhat of a hard time believing ESPN views SMU as more valuable than Boise State from a football TV perspective.

If college football fans have the option of watching West Virginia vs SMU or watching West Virginia vs Boise State, I feel like most would choose the latter.

jake102

From a pure football standpoint, my feelings about year in, year out entertainment would change very little if UT and OU get replaced by BYU and UCF. Since we've joined the B12, UT can only compete with us when we suck, and OU smashes us every single year. BYU and UCF would be consistently near our competition level depending on the year. The conference title would be wide open with OU gone, any year could be your year, don't have to have the stars align. I think I'd actually enjoy it more from a competition standpoint, not like we would be adding New Mexico and Wyoming where it's a foregone conclusion and two wasted games.

jake102

I believe the top 5, but I have somewhat of a hard time believing ESPN views SMU as more valuable than Boise State from a football TV perspective.

If college football fans have the option of watching West Virginia vs SMU or watching West Virginia vs Boise State, I feel like most would choose the latter.

I think they key point in GSRs list is that the top 4 are pretty close, but then there's a BIG gap between #4 and #5 and then the bottom tier is probably pretty close together also. I'd be shocked if the Big12 added anyone outside those top 4 teams.