• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Thanks, your information is invaluable.

How many of these teams would you invite to maximize income per school? 2? 8?

As for me, I take both Florida teams and call it a day. One trip to Florida every year and no BYU or UH. Just my opinion.

I’ve posted this… I like adding 4 full time, 2 FBALL only. UCF, USF, CIN, HOU, + BYU and BOI for FBALL

Eight

I think they key point in GSRs list is that the top 4 are pretty close, but then there's a BIG gap between #4 and #5 and then the bottom tier is probably pretty close together also. I'd be shocked if the Big12 added anyone outside those top 4 teams.

fortunately i am not involved in the decision making so i can continue to say scheiss no to byu even though they are the most complete choice and most likely draws an invitation, but still scheiss byu

key for me is no football only members. if a school is in the big 12 they are in for all sports and that means they co-operate with their conference mates

not thrilled about uh and not because of the fear they will pass anyone, but the over-saturation in the conference having 4 texas schools in one conference. that model didn't work for the swc, didn't work for the big 12 well, and isn't working for the pac.

my thought is whomever is driving this for the conference needs to be working with one of the networks and putting together the most attractive group for them. if that means the top 4 from gary's list great, if not, listen and consider the suggestions.

As always thank you for your industry knowledge and thoughts on this hot mess. Sadly this list is both underwhelming and depressing. Reminds one a lot more of the Mountain West than the Big 12. I think it is safe to say there is not a school on this list minus BYU that would be a consideration for PAC12/Big10/ACC.
I think many undervalue the potential of UCF, UH and USF. I wonder where TCU would sit in GSR’s expansion list if it was in the AAC rather than the Big 12.

Sometime in the next two years it could be UH going first to the PAC 12.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08...and-one-school-stands-as-the-clear-no-1-pick/

I believe the top 5, but I have somewhat of a hard time believing ESPN views SMU as more valuable than Boise State from a football TV perspective.

If college football fans have the option of watching West Virginia vs SMU or watching West Virginia vs Boise State, I feel like most would choose the latter.

You’re right, Boise would get elevated after some qualitative adjustments. The data is harsh on them because, fundamentally, Idaho.

Ive got them in, but FBALL only for sure.

Moose Stuff

I think many undervalue the potential of UCF, UH and USF. I wonder where TCU would sit in GSR’s expansion list if it was in the AAC rather than the Big 12.

Sometime in the next two years it could be UH going first to the PAC 12.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08...and-one-school-stands-as-the-clear-no-1-pick/

I did that math… When you add the existing Big 8 to that list of ten other potential members, the data favors most of the existing Big 8 members, except KU and KSU, and has TCU in the top half. It’s not a perfect comparison as AAC competition just wasn’t that great and thus audiences weren’t there, but those are also not the only data points in the formula.

CountryFrog

As high as some people are on Houston then I'm just waiting for the SEC to take them.

Seriously, though, just as Eight has been saying, adding a 4th Texas school (that isn't a giant state school) to the Big 12 and having 6 Texas schools in power conferences seems like a useless addition regardless of any other factors. If the Big 12 only adds 2 or 4 teams then I'll be pretty shocked if UH is one of them. If they add more than 4 then Houston probably will be added but I personally don't see the value in going to 14 or 16 teams given what is out there and available.

jake102

The more I’ve seen of the actual stats and value, seems clear BYU and UCF should be first two in. Then you probably go Cincy and USF. Although if I’m being honest, I kind of like just adding two. Makes it less of a “merger” conference, only 20% new schools. Mostly still the Big 12. You add four schools and it starts to feel like a bit of a merger

The more I’ve seen of the actual stats and value, seems clear BYU and UCF should be first two in. Then you probably go Cincy and USF. Although if I’m being honest, I kind of like just adding two. Makes it less of a “merger” conference, only 20% new schools. Mostly still the Big 12. You add four schools and it starts to feel like a bit of a merger

One could make a strong argument for adding UCF and Cincinnati as full members and BYU and Boise for football only as your “twelve” and play with 10 otherwise.

I understand where you’re coming from, especially from the the standpoint of once you get past those two, things start to get murky but I really think going to divisions and eliminating the round robin is going to be a crucial component of getting as many teams ranked as high as possible every year.

Eight

There are good non-religious reasons to go FBALL only, and I think BYU would prefer it too. But they are a must add for FBALL.

the question is does byu need an invite more or does the big 12 need byu more?

my concern is that the big 12 is trading a big brand playing by its own set of rules for a smaller brand who still get to play by their own set of rules

you know the business far better, but it just seems if we go into this with them make concessions at the start we know how this ends

would you be against ucf, usf, cincy, and houston if byu wants to set the terms?

LVH

This is my hierarchy, which is absolutely going to influence nothing:

Teams 9 & 10: UCF and Cincinnati
Teams 11 & 12: Boise State and BYU
Teams 13 & 14: Colorado State and South Florida
Teams 15 & 16: Houston and Memphis
Teams 17 & 18: New Mexico and UNLV
Teams 19 & 20: East Carolina and San Diego State

CountryFrog

Agree with everything you're saying except on USF. Regardless of whatever other factors you want to look at, USF just has almost zero support in their own region and no national relevance at all. Plus I don't see the point in adding 2 schools that are 70 miles apart. UCF is a clear top choice and I don't think there's any reason to bring along their version of SMU.