• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

riffram2011

1st order of business: Compare notes, and confirm your known-knowns, known-unknowns, and figure out what unknown-unknowns lie ahead.

2nd order of business: Determine how many other feet are out the door

3rd order of business: Figure out if there is consensus to try the "groveling" route (VBo straw poll last night - there is not)

Apologies for reiterating stuff from earlier, but what is the news/info about VBo?

Moose Stuff

1st order of business: Compare notes, and confirm your known-knowns, known-unknowns, and figure out what unknown-unknowns lie ahead.

2nd order of business: Determine how many other feet are out the door

3rd order of business: Figure out if there is consensus to try the "groveling" route (VBo straw poll last night - there is not)

Important reminder: The Big 12 is a partnership, but the elected lead partner today is Boschini... He has a lot of work ahead of him, and is in a tough position trying to advocate for both TCU and the interests of the conference as a whole.

On the second order of business…. We should be assuming all feet are out the door and making sure the door isn’t slammed in our face. Is anyone actually gonna admit their feet are out the door? Would UT and OU have admitted that yesterday morning? I would also think “attempt to form alliances” starts coming into play pretty quickly.

So can you dumb it down a little? What am I reading from that?
Boschini is a masterclass at sticking to what he knows best and has, behind closed doors, said over and over he does not enjoy outside advisory/leadership positions (he stepped down early from some in the late 2000s). You gotta credit him for it. The guy has focus.

(This also will push out his retirement timeline, something COVID also put a dent in.)

Endless Purple

Who knows, but seems to be slowly but surely trending toward an NFL-like structure with about 32 teams, and those programs just completely separating themselves from everyone else. Yay, that'll be cool. Another NFL, only played on Saturdays and with far worse players.

I think the sport keeps getting worse and worse but I'm an old-fashioned neanderthal. .

I have similar thoughts about this on the long term. Right now the B1G and SEC are easily above the other conferences in revenue. Big 12 is third by revenue/school and it would be removed leaving a noticeable drop down to the ACC and PAC. It would be creating two superconferences, basically the first step to having 30-40 teams leave the NCAA.

Also with several years notice, it allows them to better negotiate which other teams to add to the two conferences. The one thing I do not know is how much loyalty the B1G might have towards the PAC, but it seems the PAC has fallen apart in terms of keeping up with the business side.

I am not sure I am against this as I think it would allow the rest of the schools to return to college sports and less minor league NFL.

riffram2011

Boschini is a masterclass at sticking to what he knows best and has, behind closed doors, said over and over he does not enjoy outside advisory/leadership positions (he stepped down early from some in the late 2000s). You gotta credit him for it. The guy has focus.

(This also will push out his retirement timeline, something COVID also put a dent in.)

Is it something that he may not like but excel at? Seems like VBo is quite competent.

Endless Purple

Depending on how this all breaks down. Many have mentioned the option of the PAC as a possibility. How many other schools have spread diversity programs all over and removed the word freshman from the vocabulary? All these seem like prime points to fit in with the Cali schools.

Depending on how this all breaks down. Many have mentioned the option of the PAC as a possibility. How many other schools have spread diversity programs all over and removed the word freshman from the vocabulary? All these seem like prime points to fit in with the Cali schools.
Most of the Top 100 Admissions offices now days use "First Year" as opposed to "Freshman." Most are also moving to universally adopting it, though it is no overnight feat.

Last edited:

Jared7

Well, this is the 6th time this has happened to TCU since 1994 - basically, every 4-5 years our conference implodes on us. It's not a done deal as yet and there still might be some hoops to jump through, but the momentum behind it appears to be strong, so I'd say that it seems likely to happen at some point. One of the reasons we're not in as much agony as ISU and Baylor is that we've been through all this so many times and have actually been on the losing end in reality as opposed to just in theory.

It seems that we'll likely slip from the 3rd most financially viable conference to the 5th. The Pac 12 would be the best landing spot but that entirely depends on whether they want us, which is a possibility, but not all that strong. The next best spot would be to remain in a Big 12 remnant - if only UT and OU leave, that seems likely, but everyone is going to be scrambling to get out and there might well be more shoes to drop. Then it becomes a choice of either cobbling together a new conference of the "best of the rest" or joining the AAC or MWC. For now, I'd try to keep the Big 12 together - UT and OU not giving the required 12 hour notice and breaking the existing GOR will entail a large settlement and if they leave early, there will be revenue withholding implications.

We'll land somewhere. It won't be as good as we now have it, but it'll be better than the WAC and C-USA. It might enhance our chances to win more games in football but it might hurt recruiting as well in all sports.

LVH

Coming soon: The Big 12 New Generation. Featuring the SMU "Hitmen" Mustangs and the Heartbreak Kid UNM Lobos.

I made the wrestling analogy last night

It would be like Stone Cold and The Rock leaving WWE in the attitude era and WWE trying to backfill with Bam Bam Bigelow and Perry Saturn from WCW

LVH

Well, this is the 6th time this has happened to TCU since 1994 - basically, every 4-5 years our conference implodes on us. It's not a done deal as yet and there still might be some hoops to jump through, but the momentum behind it appears to be strong, so I'd say that it seems likely to happen at some point. One of the reasons we're not in as much agony as ISU and Baylor is that we've been through all this so many times and have actually been on the losing end in reality as opposed to just in theory.

It seems that we'll likely slip from the 3rd most financially viable conference to the 5th. The Pac 12 would be the best landing spot but that entirely depends on whether they want us, which is a possibility, but not all that strong. The next best spot would be to remain in a Big 12 remnant - if only UT and OU leave, that seems likely, but everyone is going to be scrambling to get out and there might well be more shoes to drop. Then it becomes a choice of either cobbling together a new conference of the "best of the rest" or joining the AAC or MWC. For now, I'd try to keep the Big 12 together - UT and OU not giving the required 12 hour notice and breaking the existing GOR will entail a large settlement and if they leave early, there will be revenue withholding implications.

We'll land somewhere. It won't be as good as we now have it, but it'll be better than the WAC and C-USA. It might enhance our chances to win more games in football but it might hurt recruiting as well in all sports.

It will hurt recruiting and also scheduling. No more home and homes with P4 teams or neutral site games. If we are lucky we will get one way away games from mid tier P4 teams.

The biggest threat is the P4 shutting out the non P4 and only playing games against other P4 teams and having a playoff with only P4 teams. I think this is what happens- no playoff access and no 12 team playoff, no NY6 game access.

As I have said the NCAA Basketball Tournament is the biggest leverage the non P4 would have. A P4 only post season basketball tournament would have no where near the appeal a 16 team NBA style P4 only postseason would have

I could see the breakoff being football only

Bob Sugar

I made the wrestling analogy last night

It would be like Stone Cold and The Rock leaving WWE in the attitude era and WWE trying to backfill with Bam Bam Bigelow and Perry Saturn from WCW
Not saying it's the best option, but you can recreate them in the aggregate, a la Moneyball. Get to 14 teams. Play an 8 game schedule with 4 cupcake OOC. More 1-2 loss teams, as not everyone plays each other and some of the best teams dodge other good teams until the conference championship game. This leads to more ranked teams, just like the SEC has done the last 10 years.