• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Eight

Sounds like you’re clueless. Ohio state has discussed the move before to independent.

sad! 18,000 posts in 3 years and they’re all drivel

good, they can discuss it al they want and why hasn't it happened if they can make so much more money

which is bigger, the big 10 football payment or nd's contract for football as their other sports are in a conference

please tell us how ohio state as an independent makes more money than their current split from the big ten

punter9

This whole ordeal is a great move by Texas and Ou. Very unlikely they don’t end up in an improved situation even if they never leave. I’d imagine other blue chips are taking a peek at this same strategy. Going to be a wild august.

82 Frog Fever

for some reason people just don't grasp there are not two other universities who have the brand and i mean true name recognition brand in football, eyeballs, and budgets on the level of ou and texas that are not in a better situation and this isn't about wins.

if nordstroms and neiman's pulls out as two anchors in a mall and you bring in kohl's and mervyn's the profile of the average shopper is going to change and the money spent at all those other stores between those two anchors is going to go down

Yup, B12 is now forced to trade quality for quantity, which is never a good thing.
Without a crazy miracle defection from the PAC12, the B12 is on declining life support until GOR expires in ‘25 and the plug is finally pulled.
Looks like we need a new home quickly, and they’re in short supply.

Eight

This whole ordeal is a great move by Texas and Ou. Very unlikely they don’t end up in an improved situation even if they never leave. I’d imagine other blue chips are taking a peek at this same strategy. Going to be a wild august.

money wise yes, but competitively?

curious how this also impacts this recruiting class for texas

if you are sark now and you are going to gpns to recruit denver harris how do you sell going to texas over bama or lsu if texas doesn't make a move now?

realize if you are texas and ou you don't make such a move with short term considerations, but in the end the single biggest issue texas has had recruiting is not the conference but their failure to win and put players in the nfl

tetonfrog

AAC/big 12/Mwc combo league with 4 pods

tcu
Bu
Tech
SMU

osu
ISU
KSU
Uh

Boise
SDSU
CSU
Air Force

Memphis
Cincy
Ucf
USF

would be better than the sun belt at least

Wexahu

Who knows, but seems to be slowly but surely trending toward an NFL-like structure with about 32 teams, and those programs just completely separating themselves from everyone else. Yay, that'll be cool. Another NFL, only played on Saturdays and with far worse players.

I think the sport keeps getting worse and worse but I'm an old-fashioned neanderthal. .

YA

Yeah, I don’t have a plan because I’m smart enough to know that when something is a little above my pay grade it’s best to let things unfold a little bit before jumping in with the first thing that pops into your head in an effort to look smart/connected (see YA’s “yeah, none of this is happening” post for an example of that).
Dude what the hell is your problem? It was an initial reaction to a story that didn't have many legs at the time. Things change as more facts came out.

Second hand report on what Chip Brown (lol) said on CBS sports radio, so take it FWIW, but kinda interesting:

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-925444-post-17508561.html#pid17508561

Chip Brown's on CBS Sports Radio now

All but conformed A&M leaked this to try and torpedo and Texas did not want this out now

I suspect Texas and OU were going to try and keep this under wraps as long as possible so they could simply leave after the 2024 season.

That is going to be very difficult now

MinFrog

Moose is right. No one (outside of the shirtless one) knows anything remotely to actual things that are happening.

Hell, UT and OU don't even know what they are going to do. All they want to is let the Big XII know that they are leaving. Most likely they land in the SEC, but I am sure they would be fine going to the Big Ten. They just want to let their current wife they are going to be upgrading. Now they get to flirt with the SEC and Big Ten.

See, it doesn't matter where they land, they will be fine. It's the other 8 teams that have to flat out scramble now - with a limited set of facts.

The Big XII with UT and OU is the 3rd strongest conference. Without those two it is a distant 5th. When those two leave, the Big XII is dead.

Another fact - TCU is somewhere between the 60th and 65th most attractive P5 (+ ND) team. If we land closer to 60, we should be ok, if we are 65th, then we are screwed. And no one that is on this board has ANY clue where we land in that range.

So keep kvetching all you want, it was certainly entertaining last night while drinking a few IPAs. I enjoyed it. But when people like FrogLaw throw out the stupidest of all stupid eyes, don't keep your panties in a bunch when people call you out for being an idiot.

I would guess there is a 90% chance that we will be in the Pac-16, MWC, or AAC when this is all done. But we most likely won't know that for a while.

So settle in, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. Also, lol at TAMU for potentially being relegated to being behind UT and OU again here soon.

Bob Sugar

Moose is right. No one (outside of the shirtless one) knows anything remotely to actual things that are happening.

Hell, UT and OU don't even know what they are going to do. All they want to is let the Big XII know that they are leaving. Most likely they land in the SEC, but I am sure they would be fine going to the Big Ten. They just want to let their current wife they are going to be upgrading. Now they get to flirt with the SEC and Big Ten.

See, it doesn't matter where they land, they will be fine. It's the other 8 teams that have to flat out scramble now - with a limited set of facts.

The Big XII with UT and OU is the 3rd strongest conference. Without those two it is a distant 5th. When those two leave, the Big XII is dead.

Another fact - TCU is somewhere between the 60th and 65th most attractive P5 (+ ND) team. If we land closer to 60, we should be ok, if we are 65th, then we are screwed. And no one that is on this board has ANY clue where we land in that range.

So keep kvetching all you want, it was certainly entertaining last night while drinking a few IPAs. I enjoyed it. But when people like FrogLaw throw out the stupidest of all stupid eyes, don't keep your panties in a bunch when people call you out for being an idiot.

I would guess there is a 90% chance that we will be in the Pac-16, MWC, or AAC when this is all done. But we most likely won't know that for a while.

So settle in, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. Also, lol at TAMU for potentially being relegated to being behind UT and OU again here soon.
TCU is more like 30th-45th, but you have a bunch of do-nothings like Rutgers who have the benefit of being in one of the other conferences.

We definitely have to wait for the first shoe to fall. No guarantee it will. Does seem like odd timing for this to get out, 4 years before the GOR ends. I first thought it was related to the recent supreme court decision but I think pretty clear this leaked way before the involved parties wanted it to. Not sure if that will affect whether it happens or not in the end, but it likely complicates things.

HG73

The SEC doesn't need to expand. Neither does the Big10. But if ut and ou are shopping someone will take them. What happens to the rest of the Big12?

Academics will play a huge role. Tech, OSU, KSU and WV won't be eligible for the ACC, B1G or PAC. And the SEC certainly doesn't need them, even if ut/ou don't go there. They should be really worried.

Iowa State has good academics, but Iowa will block B1G entrance. Not a big TV market or recruiting hotbed. ACC or PAC is a possibility.

Kansas will end up where they belong, in a basketball league. Have you seen their football facilities? And they are going on probation.

Then there's baylor. baylor is going on probation, has a history of off field problems and is not a desirable travel destination. And they have the reputation of being difficult to get along with. And they are a religious cult.

So who wants us? PAC or ACC. PAC desperately needs Central Time Zone exposure. Or they die a slow agonizing death. Who else is there? Us and ISU.

ACC? ND isn't coming. If they join a conference it will be the B1G. If ACC expands they'll be looking at us and ISU.

If the PAC and ACC don't expand then the 8 Big12 leftovers only need one more team. Nine teams is the perfect size, eight game round robin schedule, 4 OOC games. BYU doesn't fit geographically and they have their obvious problems. Anybody but them. Maybe a service academy. Maybe all three service academies.

Wexahu

TCU is more like 30th-45th, but you have a bunch of do-nothings like Rutgers who have the benefit of being in one of the other conferences.

I think this is way, way optimistic.

Just consider the circumstances in which Rutgers got invited to the Big 10 compared to our Big 12 invite. We got invited because the conference desperately needed to fill a spot, Rutgers got invited to expand the Big 10's reach and presumably improve the league.

I could maybe buy somewhere in the 50's, but I don't think there's any way we are in the top 45 in terms of overall value to a conference.

bp4tcu

Yup, B12 is now forced to trade quality for quantity, which is never a good thing.
Without a crazy miracle defection from the PAC12, the B12 is on declining life support until GOR expires in ‘25 and the plug is finally pulled.
Looks like we need a new home quickly, and they’re in short supply.
If this goes down, so does the Big 12.

The SEC doesn't need to expand. Neither does the Big10. But if ut and ou are shopping someone will take them. What happens to the rest of the Big12?

Academics will play a huge role. Tech, OSU, KSU and WV won't be eligible for the ACC, B1G or PAC. And the SEC certainly doesn't need them, even if ut/ou don't go there. They should be really worried.

Iowa State has good academics, but Iowa will block B1G entrance. Not a big TV market or recruiting hotbed. ACC or PAC is a possibility.

Kansas will end up where they belong, in a basketball league. Have you seen their football facilities? And they are going on probation.

Then there's baylor. baylor is going on probation, has a history of off field problems and is not a desirable travel destination. And they have the reputation of being difficult to get along with. And they are a religious cult.

So who wants us? PAC or ACC. PAC desperately needs Central Time Zone exposure. Or they die a slow agonizing death. Who else is there? Us and ISU.

ACC? ND isn't coming. If they join a conference it will be the B1G. If ACC expands they'll be looking at us and ISU.

If the PAC and ACC don't expand then the 8 Big12 leftovers only need one more team. Nine teams is the perfect size, eight game round robin schedule, 4 OOC games. BYU doesn't fit geographically and they have their obvious problems. Anybody but them. Maybe a service academy. Maybe all three service academies.
I suspect our TV contract would make it so 10 teams is the minimum.