• The KillerFrogs

OT: The NFL is a joke

FrogAbroad

Why is the national anthem played before sporting events? Why isn’t it played before other events? I don’t remember standing for the anthem before a Metallica concert. What makes it a necessity before sporting events? Could we do away with it? Would anyone be less patriotic if that were to occur? Those that don’t like it are not going to be more patriotic. Those that love it aren’t going to be less so. I don’t need it to love this country (or the parts of it that still represent my values anyway).

Does anyone that insists upon it being a part of sports listen to it before any other events? Like prior to showering? Or before a baby is born? Or right before entering the warm biosphere of your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/cousin (for all the Arkansas peeps)?
Pretty good History Channel recap here.

tcudoc

Luckily everyone has a choice.
Watch, don’t watch, don’t care, etc….
Please don’t feel obligated to tell what your choice is, or the colorful history as to how you agonized over making this life altering decision.
I agree. We need to do all we can to keep the word count and the number of posts to a minimum on this topic.
Be brief, succinct, and non-verbose. Check your loquaciousness at the door. Use fewer words to express what you are trying to say. Do not be repetitive. Keep the words and side discussions or elaborations of your reasonings to a minimum. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of brevity. No one wants to hear someone just repeat some ridiculous tale of unimportant information. We must all be concise. No one has the time to read a whole bunch of garbage in unimportant posts. No one cares about details of your reasonings. Rambling posts should be avoided. Some posters have a tendency to be garrulous and long-winded. These tendencies should be avoided. If you feel the need to have circumlocutory posts, please take it somewhere else. People get tired of the constant maundering.
To summarize, posts should be concise, succinct, and ephemeral.
Follow me for more tips on "How to get to the point."

Endless Purple

Why is the national anthem played before sporting events? Why isn’t it played before other events? I don’t remember standing for the anthem before a Metallica concert. What makes it a necessity before sporting events? Could we do away with it? Would anyone be less patriotic if that were to occur? Those that don’t like it are not going to be more patriotic. Those that love it aren’t going to be less so. I don’t need it to love this country (or the parts of it that still represent my values anyway).

Does anyone that insists upon it being a part of sports listen to it before any other events? Like prior to showering? Or before a baby is born? Or right before entering the warm biosphere of your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/cousin (for all the Arkansas peeps)?

The idealistic concept of sports is about bringing people together for fair play. Metallica concerts not so much. Unfortunately, sports now is far more about me me me and how do I get more money out of it instead of fair competition.

The rich whine a-lot athletes have little knowledge of issues and solving them. The anthem should be used, as was intended, to bring people together (which is why played at sporting events). Even when the country as a whole has many divisive issues, the song does not make that happen. Instead it represent the right to voice differing opinions (at least supposed to). Protest police brutality, as it is a problem, but the anthem gives the right to protest, it does not cause police brutality. So really the kneeling players are protesting their right to protest not police brutality. Protest the issues, not the freedoms. So many lack communication skills that could be used for these issues.

steelfrog

Tier 1
So your saying ignorance is a proper justification for things.
No, specifically what Steel is saying is that all these people who defend the SSB and say "Oh, everybody has to treat the SSB like a holy Chalice" don't even hold it in enough reverence themselves to even bother to know what in the hell it's about! A bunch of idiots and morons, like everywhere else. So F them. None of them prolly even ever been to Ft McHenry

Jackson

I agree. We need to do all we can to keep the word count and the number of posts to a minimum on this topic.
Be brief, succinct, and non-verbose. Check your loquaciousness at the door. Use fewer words to express what you are trying to say. Do not be repetitive. Keep the words and side discussions or elaborations of your reasonings to a minimum. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of brevity. No one wants to hear someone just repeat some ridiculous tale of unimportant information. We must all be concise. No one has the time to read a whole bunch of garbage in unimportant posts. No one cares about details of your reasonings. Rambling posts should be avoided. Some posters have a tendency to be garrulous and long-winded. These tendencies should be avoided. If you feel the need to have circumlocutory posts, please take it somewhere else. People get tired of the constant maundering.
To summarize, posts should be concise, succinct, and ephemeral.
Follow me for more tips on "How to get to the point."
Writes the person who posts the longest repetitive comment...too funny!

Jackson

The idealistic concept of sports is about bringing people together for fair play. Metallica concerts not so much. Unfortunately, sports now is far more about me me me and how do I get more money out of it instead of fair competition.

The rich whine a-lot athletes have little knowledge of issues and solving them. The anthem should be used, as was intended, to bring people together (which is why played at sporting events). Even when the country as a whole has many divisive issues, the song does not make that happen. Instead it represent the right to voice differing opinions (at least supposed to). Protest police brutality, as it is a problem, but the anthem gives the right to protest, it does not cause police brutality. So really the kneeling players are protesting their right to protest not police brutality. Protest the issues, not the freedoms. So many lack communication skills that could be used for these issues.
Police brutality is a rare occurrence. The odds of being a victim of police brutality increase with the number of instances one attracts a police departments attention. Just like The Lottery; whether you're red, black, white, brown yellow, green or purple the more you play the lower your odds.

Longhorn from Aledo

not to challenge the logic of someone educated at the preeminent school of higher learning in the state of texas, but are you saying that only those that break the law are against police brutality?

Negative, I am against police brutality as much as I am against perp brutality. If people as a country follow the law, the need for the police force goes down. Pretty simple really. If crime is increasing then the opposite is true. The likelihood of police brutality increases as crime increases. Simple stats.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/brooklyn/21-year-old-shot-killed-point-blank-east-flatbush/

Last edited:

tcudoc

Writes the person who posts the longest repetitive comment...too funny!
tenor.gif

Eight

Negative, I am against police brutality as much as I am against perp brutality. If people as a country follow the law, the need for the police force goes down. Pretty simple really. If crime is increasing then the opposite is true. The likelihood of police brutality increases as crime increases. Simple stats.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/brooklyn/21-year-old-shot-killed-point-blank-east-flatbush/

so how does your link correlate to police brutality?

you sure you aren't related to ticketfrog