• The KillerFrogs

Schlossnagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) There’s no such thing as “a fresh start”. Sounds nice when you say it but is meaningless.
2) If I had an offer from Ag, I’d take this “last meeting” as an insult. And, if true, it’s demonstrative that ADJD has sucked at this part of his job.
3) Not sure what the “hope” would be...that you get to keep a coach who’s clearly been disgruntled and hope he stays ungruntled?
4) If TCU had been doing what it should have been doing, ADJD should have already reached out to Heefner. But IMO Heefner should have been Ag’s second call after Tadlock got his lifetime sentence in Lubbock.
5) If it comes to it, TCU should make Heefner interested and erase the “if” part. Probably should have already done that.
Liked for "lifetime sentence in Lubbock."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Disgruntled...

There's a scene in the Coen's Raising Arizona in which the FBI is interviewing Nathan Arizona, played by Trey Wilson (also seen as the Manager in Bull Durham) about the facts surrounding the kidnapping of his child. Mr. Arizona is a furniture store magnate, and not terribly impressed by the FBI:

FBI Agent: "Sir, do you have any disgruntled employees?"
Arizona: "Disgruntled employees? Hell, they're all disgruntled! What do you think I'm running? A daisy farm?"

flyfishingfrog

Yeah but “turning a profit” and the vastly overpriced tuition go hand in hand. Easier to turn a profit at UT or ATM when the full boat tuition is $11k. Lowers the expense side considerably
including scholarship "costs" into any analysis on a sport is just a tool for people who want to argue against athletic spending anyway - those costs are fixed if you have a program and only go away if you cancel it. We won't be a partially funded school for a sport we participate in - so when determining what level of investment you are wiling to make, they are irrelevant.

Last edited:

PO Frog

To your point elsewhere today about going backwards, did get a message today pointing out that there is SOME disagreement about expanding $ losses with the baseball program. Most of the top tier baseball programs in the country (top 20ish) either break even or turn a little profit, which makes spending X on coaches and charter travel palatable. TCU Baseball does not turn a profit, and likely won’t ever without major economic changes. Does leadership want to increase those losses MORE by paying an ever increasing amount in coach salaries, running the program in “spare no expense mode” to keep up the Jones’s? Seems some may have argued that that’s already happening with basketball, which has a real shot at “making money” if we can put a winning team on the court consistently. Just one opinion, but that could be part of the issue here… only so many $$s to put into subsidizing men’s sports.
This is real bad news if it’s really the mindset of the powers that be at the university. Back to irrelevance we go. Seems as if the whole place has been taken over by SJWs with better things to do than root for icky sports.

Dogfrog

simply make up for the lost revenue in increased volume which actually never made sense when i heard that from certain carriers

Depends on your business. Manufacturing plants with boilerplate production capacities reduce fixed costs per unit with higher volume. College sports is entertainment business. Gotta appeal to people’s school association and egos.

Last edited:

Eight

including scholarship "costs" into any analysis on a sport is just a tool for people who want to argue against athletic spending anyway - those costs are fixed if you have a program and only go away if you cancel it. We won't be a partially funded school for a sport we participate in - so when determining what level of investment you are wiling to make, they are irrelevant.

question(s) on the topic of revenues. back in the day as a student we didn't have to buy an athletic pass or tickets to attend tcu sporting events.

is that still the case of tcu students? if so, does the athletic department receive any revenue from the university for those seats that the students might occupy and if so has is that number determined?

flyfishingfrog

question(s) on the topic of revenues. back in the day as a student we didn't have to buy an athletic pass or tickets to attend tcu sporting events.

is that still the case of tcu students? if so, does the athletic department receive any revenue from the university for those seats that the students might occupy and if so has is that number determined?
Still free - I don’t think there is any adjustments for loss of revenue from having a student section if that is what you mean

Which kind of magnifies the point that you can play all the games you want with the numbers - either you want to try and maintain a top tier baseball program and thus make the investments required or you want to be Kansas and just participate

there is really very little middle ground and most schools with middle of the road records spend similar to TCU and don’t get our results

we may soon be one of them….

NewFrogFan

This is real bad news if it’s really the mindset of the powers that be at the university. Back to irrelevance we go. Seems as if the whole place has been taken over by SJWs with better things to do than root for icky sports.

How much is saved by eliminating some, many, all the degree programs that tend to result in the most SJW’s......they usually produce nothing anyway, time for the school to really take out the axe. Redirect all those SJW’s to multiple online “degree” programs that “meet their needs”.

Pharm Frog

Still free - I don’t think there is any adjustments for loss of revenue from having a student section if that is what you mean

Which kind of magnifies the point that you can play all the games you want with the numbers - either you want to try and maintain a top tier baseball program and thus make the investments required or you want to be Kansas and just participate

there is really very little middle ground and most schools spend similar to TCU and don’t get our results

They don’t have to buy the tickets but I highly doubt they are “free”. I’ve sat on far too many student fee committee meetings in my life to think that those tickets are free.

Eight

there is really very little middle ground and most schools with middle of the road records spend similar to TCU and don’t get our results

thanks, and was curious if in the cost of attendance there was some value built in for attendance to sporting events and if so was that credited over to the athletic department

Big Frog II

So many of you act like we have nickled and dimed this baseball program. From what I gather, our coaches make close to the top in salaries. We fly the team most everywhere. We have sent them to both coasts for OOC games regularly. Yes, we do need to redo the seating area, but after the losses that occurred during the Covid thing, it may take longer to do than we would like. So no, we have not been cheap. You just have to wonder if personal problems had happened if we would even be having this conversation.

Dogfrog

As high as tuition and housing is today, it’s hard to believe there isn’t a stealth athletics fee buried in there somewhere.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So many of you act like we have nickled and dimed this baseball program. From what I gather, our coaches make close to the top in salaries. We fly the team most everywhere. We have sent them to both coasts for OOC games regularly. Yes, we do need to redo the seating area, but after the losses that occurred during the Covid thing, it may take longer to do than we would like. So no, we have not been cheap. You just have to wonder if personal problems had happened if we would even be having this conversation.
Additionally, it's not like we lost an entire year of revenue thanks to the CCP Plague Panic. The costs were still there, but no money came in. The well is not exactly brimming at this point, and dipping back in to ladle out more just isn't really possible. We're not Aggy, with an unlimited State Visa card...

CountryFrog

They don’t have to buy the tickets but I highly doubt they are “free”. I’ve sat on far too many student fee committee meetings in my life to think that those tickets are free.
Exactly. There is almost nothing that students are doing on a college campus for free.

CryptoMiner

That is incorrect.

Costs may be fixed for at least a range of attendance but that is irrelevant. The scholarship is paid by the program because the school is losing a revenue generating spot if it doesn't pay its way. It would be a real loss of funds since almost all the schools in the university are at full attendance, especially the schools most athletes attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.