• The KillerFrogs

Schlossnagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Purple

To your point elsewhere today about going backwards, did get a message today pointing out that there is SOME disagreement about expanding $ losses with the baseball program. Most of the top tier baseball programs in the country (top 20ish) either break even or turn a little profit, which makes spending X on coaches and charter travel palatable. TCU Baseball does not turn a profit, and likely won’t ever without major economic changes. Does leadership want to increase those losses MORE by paying an ever increasing amount in coach salaries, running the program in “spare no expense mode” to keep up the Jones’s? Seems some may have argued that that’s already happening with basketball, which has a real shot at “making money” if we can put a winning team on the court consistently. Just one opinion, but that could be part of the issue here… only so many $$s to put into subsidizing men’s sports.

So top 20ish programs are break even or better. TCU tends to be around 10 in attendance, but not in money? Do the other teams pay less for their staff, have other income, or is their some other discrepancy beyond ticket sales?

Pharm Frog

So top 20ish programs are break even or better. TCU tends to be around 10 in attendance, but not in money? Do the other teams pay less for their staff, have other income, or is their some other discrepancy beyond ticket sales?

When CJS signed his extension it was reported to be the largest contract in college baseball at 1.4ish. I can’t recite the Top 20 programs and their salaries but that’s a huge figure and the reason most say if he leaves it isn’t about the salary $.

IIRC it was Dan McDonnell’s negotiation that kind of raised the bar but even his contract doesn’t reach 1.5 for several more years (unless there’s been a re-negotiation that I haven’t read about...entirely possible). There’s more to it than coaches salaries for sure but it’s a chunk at TCU.

WIN

To your point elsewhere today about going backwards, did get a message today pointing out that there is SOME disagreement about expanding $ losses with the baseball program. Most of the top tier baseball programs in the country (top 20ish) either break even or turn a little profit, which makes spending X on coaches and charter travel palatable. TCU Baseball does not turn a profit, and likely won’t ever without major economic changes. Does leadership want to increase those losses MORE by paying an ever increasing amount in coach salaries, running the program in “spare no expense mode” to keep up the Jones’s? Seems some may have argued that that’s already happening with basketball, which has a real shot at “making money” if we can put a winning team on the court consistently. Just one opinion, but that could be part of the issue here… only so many $$s to put into subsidizing men’s sports.

Flashback to the 70's. This is the thinking that scares me.

Lack of luxury seating options, seat license fees, etc. holds our revenue back primarily. For instance, if you own a season ticket to a lower bowl seat between 1st and 3rd, you should be paying $500-1000 for a seat license plus the ticket cost, per seat…. Would TCU fan demand sustain that price increase? Probably not, but it would certainly pull money away from basketball or football which has been a no-no in the past.

Other changes would be significant increases in concessions and GA ticket costs.

1) There’s no such thing as “a fresh start”. Sounds nice when you say it but is meaningless.
2) If I had an offer from Ag, I’d take this “last meeting” as an insult. And, if true, it’s demonstrative that ADJD has sucked at this part of his job.
3) Not sure what the “hope” would be...that you get to keep a coach who’s clearly been disgruntled and hope he stays ungruntled?
4) If TCU had been doing what it should have been doing, ADJD should have already reached out to Heefner. But IMO Heefner should have been Ag’s second call after Tadlock got his lifetime sentence in Lubbock.
5) If it comes to it, TCU should make Heefner interested and erase the “if” part. Probably should have already done that.

I believe Heefner *was* call #2 for A&M… Schloss might benefit from losing first.

flyfishingfrog

I believe Heefner *was* call #2 for A&M… Schloss might benefit from losing first.
Heefner isnt leaving DBU from what I have been told by people close to him - he is strongly religious and believes in the schools continued adherence to those beliefs overall.

Not interested in schools that do not - and neither A&M or TCU do anymore...

students at DBU still go to chapel twice a week as a requirement for example.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Yeah but “turning a profit” and the vastly overpriced tuition go hand in hand. Easier to turn a profit at UT or ATM when the full boat tuition is $11k. Lowers the expense side considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.