• The KillerFrogs

Athletic Business: Big 12 Mulls Criteria for Canceling, Postponing Games

Big Frog II

i am not sure the pandemic team does much more if they aren't in control. part of the problem has been everyone has fought their time in the spotlight be it the cdc, the fda, dr. doom, brix, the various governors, the president, various heads of political parties, and the message being delivered via the media

i think the response we saw is as much a byproduct of what has been happening in this country as anything else and i don't mean trump. i mean that value of the individual versus the collective good.

right now i think you could open the season, but we won't simply out of fear of possibly being wrong.
Your first paragraph is why we have a problem. No single unified voice. 14 different messages, 14 different rules, and no one doing the same thing.

Bob Sugar

Not being political, but having gotten rid of the pandemic team for starts was a horrendous move. Then we basically denied the virus existed until March. That is not how you prepare for something like this. Once we got to March is was too late. Then we started opening up too soon without any sort of guidelines. Then masks were made political. No one is on the same page, because we have not had a unified message. The results are what we see today.
That’s a pretty political post to start with “not being political.”

Last edited:

Bruce Berry

Sixty Texans died yesterday from COVID. Do you just not care? They’re old, right, so let them die?

Deaths are on the rise. Hospitalizations are on the rise. Infections are on the rise. None of this is in dispute - you can see the numbers on any news site. The fact that the lethality rate is relatively low sounds fun until you see how incredibly pervasive and contagious this is. Let’s go with your number of 0.16% death rate - that means that more than half a million Americans will die. More than any disaster, any war (minus Civil) that America has faced.

but sure, half a million dead countrymen is a small price to pay for football!

While new coronavirus cases have continued to soar, deaths caused by Covid-19 have remained stable and comparatively low. Fauci and other health officials have attributed this both to better clinical care for Covid-19 patients thanks to new treatment strategies as well as to the comparatively low average age of people infected with the virus now.

You need to stay home. Don't come out. Be safe.

Moose Stuff

Not being political, but having gotten rid of the pandemic team for starts was a horrendous move. Then we basically denied the virus existed until March. That is not how you prepare for something like this. Once we got to March is was too late. Then we started opening up too soon without any sort of guidelines. Then masks were made political. No one is on the same page, because we have not had a unified message. The results are what we see today.

LMAO that you think we could have done anything to avoid where we are now short of a total economic shutdown and collapse. The virus was always gonna be there when we emerged. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, whenever.... it was inevitable. It was nobody's fault and it's ignorant or blatantly political to think otherwise.

ftwfrog

2900 have died either OF COVID or WITH COVID in Texas. Let's say all 2900 have died due to COVID instead of simply dying with COVID.

Still 5600 deaths short of the 2018 Flu deaths in Texas. We would have to see 93 straight 60+ death days to match the 2018 Texas flu deaths.

Where was all your concern in 2018 of the 8500 dead of flu in Texas? Why didn't you get on the phone and call AD Donati and urge him not to send Jamie Dixon & Co to the NCAA Tournament? Or demand the end of the TCU baseball season that year?

All of these pro/college athletes have gotten this virus and NOT ONE HAS DIED. In the entire world. No single athlete or former athlete in the entire WORLD under the age of 40 who has died.

Don't cower. There is zero reason to not play this season. For any sport. The players are not going to die. None have. On Earth.
No concerts. No conventions. No huge church gatherings. No sporting events. No school. No camps. No dining in fast food restaurants. No gatherings of more than 100 people.

Gloves are the norm. Masks are the norm. Hand sanitizer all over the place. People wiping down groceries and actually washing their hands.

You think those death #s would be higher if life was “normal” and the country took zero precautions?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t play, but the “not that many people are dying!” or “this virus is just like the flu” arguments don’t hold water when you realize how America has changed since March 15.

LVH

No concerts. No conventions. No huge church gatherings. No sporting events. No school. No camps. No dining in fast food restaurants. No gatherings of more than 100 people.

Gloves are the norm. Masks are the norm. Hand sanitizer all over the place. People wiping down groceries and actually washing their hands.

You think those death #s would be higher if life was “normal” and the country took zero precautions?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t play, but the “not that many people are dying!” or “this virus is just like the flu” arguments don’t hold water when you realize how America has changed since March 15.

https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=48701

The 180 children who died in 2017-2018 was also a new record, beating the old one of 171 set in 2012-2013. The majority of them were unvaccinated, CDC said.

In Texas, more than 11,000 people died from flu and its complications during the 2017-18 flu season, including 16 children, the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) said.

Have 180 children died of COVID? No? Have 18 children died of COVID? No? Have 1.8 children in Texas died of COVID? No?

Have 11,000 Texans died of COVID? No?

So where was all your concern in 2018? 11,000 dead of flu. Why weren't you wearing a mask or gloves?

As I have been saying since day 1, this is all because ITS AN ELECTION YEAR. Trillions of dollars are at stake.

BABYFACE

Financially, if schools do not have students attending class, then dorms will be empty, food plans and all the other areas of revenue a university generates will be lost. Throw in P5 revenue lost that pays for most of the athletic department budget, then certain sports teams and schollies could and likely disappear because of this.

Just to isolate to the Big 12, I think every institution will be financially devasted by this. They are already reeling from Spring and Summer. I just don’t see them slitting their own throats.

Last edited:

jake102

Financially, if schools do not have students attending class, then dorms will be empty, food plans all the other areas of revenue a university generates will be lost. Throw in P5 revenue lost that pays for most of the athletic department budget, then certain sports teams and schollies could and likely disappear because of this.

Just to isolate to the Big 12, I think every institution will be financially devasted by this. They are already reeling from Spring and Summer. I just don’t see them slitting their own throats.

Very real risk.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Financially, if schools do not have students attending class, then dorms will be empty, food plans all the other areas of revenue a university generates will be lost. Throw in P5 revenue lost that pays for most of the athletic department budget, then certain sports teams and schollies could and likely disappear because of this.

Hardest hit will be students inline for scholarships in sports that aren't named Football, Basketball, or Baseball; Ivy League already shutting down many sports all together. The faculty pressuring these schools to remain closed are doing great harm to the future success of many students, primarily minorities.

BABYFACE

LMAO that you think we could have done anything to avoid where we are now short of a total economic shutdown and collapse. The virus was always gonna be there when we emerged. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, whenever.... it was inevitable. It was nobody's fault and it's ignorant or blatantly political to think otherwise.

This why I was not in favor of a shutdown.

Isolate those at high risk. If wearing a mask truly works ( not sure if it does or not) then we wear masks. But let’s be fully open. I am not sure if some here understand the economic fallout heading our way.

I have a friend that is a HS principal and is indifferent to it all. He is enjoying his extended time off to go fishing and mountain biking. But, if he were to stop getting paid, he would be screaming for the schools to reopen. It is easy to be in favor of staying shutdown when you are still getting paid.

The amount of businesses that are closing permanently and the ever growing lost jobs is getting scary. Another worrisome fact, only half of Americans with mortgages are current on their payments. If this continues, think about how many people that will lose almost everything and the emotional devastation that goes with it.

I just don’t see how this is showing compassion for one another to continue to allow this to happen. What I do see is selfishness from some because they are still getting paid, so they cool at letting things stay shut down.

Last edited:

jake102

Not to really disagree with you (I posted the same months ago), but I am super curious why/how other countries seemingly did come out of it with the virus virtually gone. Would be interested for insights from people who are actually going to post ideas/theories and not go straight political bashing