• The KillerFrogs

Athletic Business: Big 12 Mulls Criteria for Canceling, Postponing Games

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Big 12 Mulls Criteria for Canceling, Postponing Games

by Jason Scott

A group of five Big 12 athletic directors is reportedly pondering different thresholds and criteria for canceling, postponing or forfeiting football games in the fall during what is almost certain to be a college football season without precedent.

CBS Sports reports that the group of ADs, which includes Baylor’s Mack Rhoades, Kansas State’s Gene Taylor, Oklahoma’s Joe Castiglione, TCU’s Jeremiah Donati and West Virginia’s Shane Lyons, is in the early stages of planning for how to proceed in the event that the virus impacts rosters or the ability of a particular program to field a competitive team.

The subcommittee is reportedly discussing a number of variables and considerations. CBS Sports reports that in the event that a football team’s roster of scholarship athletes is reduced by 25 percent, that may trigger a threshold for some sort of action. Similarly, if rosters are shortened, student-athletes may cross train at multiple positions.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/big-12-mulls-criteria-for-canceling-postponing-games.html

TX_Krötenechse

I think at this point the writing is on the wall for 2020 season ... they are likely waiting to see what MLB does. Some schools and states are considering canceling unilaterally if the NCAA or conferences don’t do it.

jake102

Colleges are already sucking wind due to the cancellation of the Spring semester. Cancelling Football would be a coup de gras to many, and I cannot see them acceding to it considering the level of severity to persons under the age of 65.

It's literally crazy talk.

I would think they at least would want the TV dollars. And then find a way to cancel every single other sport this year

LVH

Colleges are already sucking wind due to the cancellation of the Spring semester. Cancelling Football would be a coup de gras to many, and I cannot see them acceding to it considering the level of severity to persons under the age of 65.

It's literally crazy talk.

But its an election year. Orange Man Very bad - must not let Americans have any fun until Orange Man defeated in November.

Mean Purple

If they are unsure, have the first few games without attendees. Then only let in a certain percentage of people. Make them sit in certain spots. If season ticket holders get mad, offer those seats up.

Dammit, we need football!

Not to make light of this virus ... but, yeah ... football.

HFrog1999

giphy.gif

Putt4Purple

No Texas State Fair no Texas/OU game?
How will this happen? Game with fans! 100% 50%?
If there are no fans for this game particularly much less others games, this season will suck!!

JockO de Frog

If they are unsure, have the first few games without attendees. Then only let in a certain percentage of people. Make them sit in certain spots. If season ticket holders get mad, offer those seats up.

Dammit, we need football!

Not to make light of this virus ... but, yeah ... football.
It's Okay to make light of this virus because the whole thing is a sham. I survived Scarlet fever, the flu (multiple times), severe strep (106 fever-multiple times). A doctor in Midland treats COVID with an asthma inhaler, zinc and an antibiotic. Patients recover within 24 hour most of the time--never lost a patient. Contagious? yes. Deadly? way less than most viruses if treated fairly early. The "fear factor" is 100% propagated by the fake-news media.

Paul in uhh

In my (sad and hopefully wrong) opinion, there won’t be any collegiate sports period until there is a vaccine or therapy available.

Too many attorneys who would be chomping at the bit to sue whenever the first student athlete gets covid and dies. Unless the govt hands down some sort of unilateral liability protection I don’t see any way around this.