• The KillerFrogs

O.K. So we fire Cumbie. Then what?

Wexahu

In my opinion if you aren’t bringing in a guy who can help on game day with play calling then you are just patch working this thing

It's not play calling IMO. It's the offense itself that needs a major overhaul, if not completely scrapped. Play calling gets most of the blame, but I'm not sure there are too many plays in this offense to choose from that work.

Froggish

It's not play calling IMO. It's the offense itself that needs a major overhaul, if not completely scrapped. Play calling gets most of the blame, but I'm not sure there are too many plays in this offense to choose from that work.

I think it’s implied, or I should have, that a guy who calls plays is presumably calling his system. Why would you have a guy calling plays in a offense that isn’t his.

The offense and the play calling of that offense have to be revamped. It is hands down the most code red part of the program

robbroyy

The dilemma Gary is going through is that the OC is also the QB coach and stud recruiter. When developing a young QB that’s getting better and better, you have to think about are you prioritizing the QB coach or the playcaller.

2 very different yet most important jobs on the offense with a young QB

LawFrog504

The notion that we should keep SC because he's a good recruiter is silly. 9th in the Big12 in recuriting for 2020 as of now and this can be achieved without him. Sabotaging our offense for 3/4 years (could argue that last 4 years) because he's gotten 2 QB's who suck and 1 who appears to have some tools is silly

Wexahu

The dilemma Gary is going through is that the OC is also the QB coach and stud recruiter. When developing a young QB that’s getting better and better, you have to think about are you prioritizing the QB coach or the playcaller.

Let's make Cumbie the Assistant Head Coach in charge of overseeing recruiting and game management (whatever that might be) and let's bring in a new OC with a new fresh system. Patterson can run his defense. I don't think we need SC developing QBs but he could be a great asset to the program if used the right way.

I realize I'm throwing [ Finebaum ] against the wall that won't stick but the point is I like Cumbie and don't want him to leave. This offense on the other hand has got to go.

LawFrog504

Just think we need a complete and total overhaul. It goes beyond playcalling. Scheme, concepts, INTENT, planning, we have none of that. Identity? lmao.

First thing that needs to happen is GP needs to decide if he's going to give the successor the reigns or look over his shoulder- decide BEFORE you hire them so that the week 3 presser isn't him throwing the new guy under the bus.

Then decide if he wants his offense to be designed to help his defense (ball control, security) or be its own entity (explosive plays, can score quick at rest of sending D back on the field)

These 2 answers allow you to focus your search and establish who you want to be. We desperately need this. There's simply no plan of attack going on at this moment

crash813

Chad Morris would be interested in a TCU OC job. Stated they could see a Co-OC situation with Cumbie and Morris.....I could get behind that.

Not sure why so many people are so excited about Morris. His offense only scored 20 pts on Portland the first game of the year. 20 points! I know the argument... Buluga left the cupboard empty. Even empty, the athletes should be head and shoulders above Portland and if he's such a great offensive mind, he should do more with less. We already have plenty of coaches that do less with more. Morris feels like one of those guys that gets credit for winning programs winning, whether or not it was because of him.

asleep003

Agree with this .... do want to recognize that we went on the road last week against a big rival, in their house, and our WRs caught the ball; a primary reason we won rather than just making a close game, again.

Froggish

Not sure why so many people are so excited about Morris. His offense only scored 20 pts on Portland the first game of the year. 20 points! I know the argument... Buluga left the cupboard empty. Even empty, the athletes should be head and shoulders above Portland and if he's such a great offensive mind, he should do more with less. We already have plenty of coaches that do less with more. Morris feels like one of those guys that gets credit for winning programs winning, whether or not it was because of him.

I believe Morris is a good OC (not great) and a definitive upgrade over SC. Some guys are built to be coordinators not head coaches and I believe he is one of them. As an OC only I think he can be very good for TCU. Are there better candidates? Probably, but his experience level and his success calling plays at other stops who be a win for TCU.

Ron Swanson

Just think we need a complete and total overhaul. It goes beyond playcalling. Scheme, concepts, INTENT, planning, we have none of that. Identity? lmao.

First thing that needs to happen is GP needs to decide if he's going to give the successor the reigns or look over his shoulder- decide BEFORE you hire them so that the week 3 presser isn't him throwing the new guy under the bus.

Then decide if he wants his offense to be designed to help his defense (ball control, security) or be its own entity (explosive plays, can score quick at rest of sending D back on the field)

These 2 answers allow you to focus your search and establish who you want to be. We desperately need this. There's simply no plan of attack going on at this moment
Regarding the bolded part... I think one of the main issues right now is that Sonny likely is the guy that they have tabbed as GP’s successor.

Now, what happens when you tab an OC to take over the program when the HC retires, but it turns out his offense doesn’t produce? He’s got everything you want in a future HC, well except for the whole coordination of the offense thing.

It’s a tricky situation and I think it might be what prevents us from making drastic changes to the offensive coaching staff this offseason.

For the record, I am by no means convinced that Sonny is a good OC, but I am holding out the slightest bit of hope that maybe our offensive product has been more a result of inexperienced QB’s, terrible WR’s and mediocre OL play. I do think this offense can work with the right players in place, but then again, is that the kind of offense you want? One where everything has to be just right for it to work?

4th. down

Let's make Cumbie the Assistant Head Coach in charge of overseeing recruiting and game management (whatever that might be) and let's bring in a new OC with a new fresh system. Patterson can run his defense. I don't think we need SC developing QBs but he could be a great asset to the program if used the right way.

I realize I'm throwing [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] against the wall that won't stick but the point is I like Cumbie and don't want him to leave. This offense on the other hand has got to go.

Think how much better Sonny's offense would be with EXECUTION as it was in the 1st. quarter with TT and with an offensive line that could, or would, run block in the red zone and goal line push. Look at any number of games where we are on the goal line and the offensive line does not fire out on snap - there is no drive at all.

Watch this Army offensive line fire off the ball on running plays:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Today is a big test. In a lot of ways, the season was leading up to this game, and I imagine the Staff has been plotting for it all off-season.

As we have all watched, plans never seem to make it past the kickoff. Either lack of execution or lack of ability has blown up the Game Plan, and seeing said Plans sometimes makes one wonder if the wrong folder got picked up before the game. 'We play West Virginia today, right?"

PO Frog

Think how much better Sonny's offense would be with EXECUTION as it was in the 1st. quarter with TT and with an offensive line that could, or would, run block in the red zone and goal line push. Look at any number of games where we are on the goal line and the offensive line does not fire out on snap - there is no drive at all.

Watch this Army offensive line fire off the ball on running plays:

How can anyone fire off the ball when it’s a silent snap count?

Salfrog

Tier 1
Where is the proof that Cumbie is this great developer of QB's? Again, Boykin already had the talent but was in the wrong system. Name a QB that he has actually developed?

Moving Anderson to a analyst job also bri gs up a huge question. What position has Anderson coached so well that he could watch, analyze, and fix?

A new OC needs to be able to interview & hire his own people. The offensive assistants on staff currently would need to interview with the new OC if they would like to stay. GP isn't going to allow that.

Defensive staff also needs a shakeup, but doubt that happens either.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Where is the proof that Cumbie is this great developer of QB's? Again, Boykin already had the talent but was in the wrong system. Name a QB that he has actually developed?

Moving Anderson to a analyst job also bri gs up a huge question. What position has Anderson coached so well that he could watch, analyze, and fix?

A new OC needs to be able to interview & hire his own people. The offensive assistants on staff currently would need to interview with the new OC if they would like to stay. GP isn't going to allow that.

Defensive staff also needs a shakeup, but doubt that happens either.
There are a lot of separate talents that go into being a good coach. Observation is one, ability to instruct, ability to motivate, ability to effectively communicate, etc. It could well be that Anderson would excel at an "Observer" position, very much moreso than at an instructor position.

Motivation is a key ability. Bumpas had it. Jim Wacker's kids would run through brick walls for him.

Tumbleweed

Is Gary ready to make changes of any kind? No. He would like to see all the fan/alumni/media buzz just go away. Patterson does not do well with changes, esp at his age. Throw into the mix a tablespoon of ego and the schemes will basically stays the same. "We will recruit better kids and will alleviate all of this commotion."

Not a lot of confidence here.

Many questions still sitting on the table about administration, leadership, flexibility, adaptability and so on. This is one sure item though, Patterson will not retire or step down until these issues are resolved. Do you see a circle here?

Last edited: