• The KillerFrogs

O.K. So we fire Cumbie. Then what?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sonny is the Scapegoat. The repository of all blame. The cause of all our sorrows. Once we excise this foulness which has invaded our beloved Froggish Program, all will be sunshine and beauty again!

Yeah. Sounds pretty dumb all boiled down, doesn't it? Sonny Cumbie is not the source of all the issues bedeviling the Frogs. Many, tis true. But certainly not all. He also is sort-of set up to fail.

By this I mean that Sonny, to the best of my knowledge, has not been able to hire his own guys to coach the various positions on his Offensive squad. I know, for example, that his WR coach is an old thorn to the longtime denizens of this FFF. I cannot believe that Cumbie willingly hired Anderson to coach the WR corps. I am also astounded that he would be put in that position by GMFP after the 2013 debacle. Considering how downright awful our 2013 receivers were, the 2019 squad would arguably have been better off being handed copies of "Catching Footballs for Dummies" and locked in a room for several hours a day. But, that is the hand that Sonny was dealt. He has suffered through game after game of watching balls bounce off the hands of receivers all year, just as we have. I can't imagine he is pleased about it. The issue is, he can't do anything about it. Anderson is an old buddy of GMFP, and is thus un-fireable.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Sonny is off to greener pastures in six weeks or so. I can't imagine him wanting to stay at TCU considering the position he has been put into. The question then becomes, who would take that position? Anyone looking at the job would know that he wouldn't get to hire his own guys. He would also know that he might be saddled with coaches who can't do their jobs, and thus jeopardize his own job. What experienced coach would put themselves in that position?

LVH

I said it last year, but I think this board really overrates the importance of a receivers coach. I didn't see this board ripping on Anderson/Burns when they were coaching the likes of Jimmy Young, Bart Johnson, Curtis Clay, Jeremy Kerley, Josh Boyce, and such.

What exactly does a receivers coach do? They can do the jugs machine and throw passes all day long but ultimately its up to the player himself to learn how to catch.

Getting open is another thing but I still think this is more of a result of poor passing route structure.

I do echo the sentiments of others though that it looks like the strategy of recruiting fast track stars to play receiver isn't really working. Give me receivers like Bart Johnson who know how to catch and get open.

Wexahu

Getting open is another thing but I still think this is more of a result of poor passing route structure.

Totally agree. Most of the time guys getting open is the result of a hole in the defense set up by play design, it's not from a receiver running such a great, precise route that the DB just can't hang with him. Hell, "great" college receivers are getting drafted by the NFL that barely know how to run a route properly.

robbroyy

I said it last year, but I think this board really overrates the importance of a receivers coach. I didn't see this board ripping on Anderson/Burns when they were coaching the likes of Jimmy Young, Bart Johnson, Curtis Clay, Jeremy Kerley, Josh Boyce, and such.

What exactly does a receivers coach do? They can do the jugs machine and throw passes all day long but ultimately its up to the player himself to learn how to catch.

I do echo the sentiments of others though that it looks like the strategy of recruiting fast track stars to play receiver isn't really working. Give me receivers like Bart Johnson who know how to catch and get open.
Having been around great receivers at other schools, I can tell you receivers coaches that truly know how to coach them up beyond just the jugs machine can make a WORLD of difference. It’s about subtle nuances in route running and technique to catch the ball on traffic and on the run.

Billy Clyde

Having been around great receivers at other schools, I can tell you receivers coaches that truly know how to coach them up beyond just the jugs machine can make a WORLD of difference. It’s about subtle nuances in route running and technique to catch the ball on traffic and on the run.

Would be interested to see what Mike Renfro knows. Not necessarily as a coach himself(although he may be great at it, who knows), but I'm pretty sure he knows what makes an effective receivers coach or not, and maybe who would be good for us.

Moose Stuff

Sonny is the Scapegoat. The repository of all blame. The cause of all our sorrows. Once we excise this foulness which has invaded our beloved Froggish Program, all will be sunshine and beauty again!

Yeah. Sounds pretty dumb all boiled down, doesn't it? Sonny Cumbie is not the source of all the issues bedeviling the Frogs. Many, tis true. But certainly not all. He also is sort-of set up to fail.

By this I mean that Sonny, to the best of my knowledge, has not been able to hire his own guys to coach the various positions on his Offensive squad. I know, for example, that his WR coach is an old thorn to the longtime denizens of this FFF. I cannot believe that Cumbie willingly hired Anderson to coach the WR corps. I am also astounded that he would be put in that position by GMFP after the 2013 debacle. Considering how downright awful our 2013 receivers were, the 2019 squad would arguably have been better off being handed copies of "Catching Footballs for Dummies" and locked in a room for several hours a day. But, that is the hand that Sonny was dealt. He has suffered through game after game of watching balls bounce off the hands of receivers all year, just as we have. I can't imagine he is pleased about it. The issue is, he can't do anything about it. Anderson is an old buddy of GMFP, and is thus un-fireable.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Sonny is off to greener pastures in six weeks or so. I can't imagine him wanting to stay at TCU considering the position he has been put into. The question then becomes, who would take that position? Anyone looking at the job would know that he wouldn't get to hire his own guys. He would also know that he might be saddled with coaches who can't do their jobs, and thus jeopardize his own job. What experienced coach would put themselves in that position?

If Sonny walks it’s gonna be to a much lesser program and for MUCH less money. Perhaps he’s OK with that.

Moose Stuff

If a receiver can’t catch now then you can take it to the bank he couldn’t catch in HS, so while I think a good WR coach could help with that I’m also much more likely to blame the people who recruited the kid in the first place.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes, but that was Charlie String and before we all realized Sonny wasn’t really that great. I can’t imagine any P5 would offer him anything close to what he has here.
As I said, since then his stock has had an anvil tied to it.

To your point in a subsequent post, why in the name of all that is holy would we recruit a receiver who couldn't catch? I mean, silly me! I always thought that was why they were playing that position in the first place. Sure, running fast and being tall and such come in handy, but being able to catch the damned ball is their primary reason for being on the field.

If you're spending time, effort and a valuable scholarship spot on a guy who can't catch, well... Bejeezus...

Moose Stuff

As I said, since then his stock has had an anvil tied to it.

To your point in a subsequent post, why in the name of all that is holy would we recruit a receiver who couldn't catch? I mean, silly me! I always thought that was why they were playing that position in the first place. Sure, running fast and being tall and such come in handy, but being able to catch the damned ball is their primary reason for being on the field.

If you're spending time, effort and a valuable scholarship spot on a guy who can't catch, well... Bejeezus...

Good question. Rolling the dice on potential? Didn’t know he couldn’t catch?

H0RNEDFR0G

It's a real chicken and egg question. Why is this offense 7th out of 10 in our conference?

Is it talent? I don't think we are putting less talent on the field than Baylor, Iowa State, or Kansas State, but all of these teams beat us, and score more points week to week than we do.

Is it execution? This one is really tough, Pro Wells and Reagor both had huge drops. It seems like other teams do a better job of putting players in position to make a play than we do. At what point does poor execution reflect poorly upon the coaching/recruiting?

Is it play calling/scheme? We are 9th of 10 in conference at passing yards per game and we have the worst completion percentage passing of any team in the league at 55%.

Jalen Hurts is sitting at a 73.3% completion rating. Is Hurts really that much better of a passer than Max Duggan? I honestly don't think he is. Hurts has receivers who don't drop the ball (talent/execution) and a scheme set up for him to succeed. Receivers are WIDE open, no defenders within a 5 yard radius of them.

If we're able to put Max in better situations, and get TCU to the 9th lowest completion % instead of dead last, we could be sitting at 8-1 instead of 4-5. Question is, how do we get there?

LawFrog504

Open the nicest bottle of champagne this side of the Mississippi and utterly rejoice that this imbecile is no longer committing malpractice on the university's dollar

HFrog1999

3g13fr.jpg

4th. down

Sad but true.

Any OC that would come is not going to bring in their position coaches as that would mean GP's buds would be out looking for a job. How can an OC be successful here with that offensive line? Virtually impossible.